News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Going back to the employment post, look at Big Tech just shedding jobs like crazy. Think of all the kids who spent tons of money getting computer science and computer engineering degrees and now have to share the job search with tens of thousands of industry veterans. Whoops guess you guessed wrong loser! Now go pay your student debts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

Quote from: Syt on August 07, 2024, 10:50:40 AMSorry, one more. :P

The skill of welding with plutonium while wearing The Stig from "Top Gear"'s racing helmet is rather harder to acquire than a bachelors in, say, English lit. So a valid point there.

Valmy

Also it kind of mispresents that point most people make about the minimum wage being too low. I mean somebody still has to do those jobs. It isn't like just because I have a good job the problems that come with working people being homeless and on government assistance because the minimum wage is too low just goes away. Like the only people who think the minimum wage and poverty is a problem are the people actually living in poverty and making the minimum wage.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

It's also a bit short-sighted. "No one should make $15 flipping burgers! I only make $16 doing [whatever]. And I had to work hard for it!" Mate, maybe your pay is a bit low, too. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

In my view, the minimum wage is sort of the lowest common denominator in labour relations when you can't unionise and have collective bargaining.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on August 07, 2024, 12:45:48 PMIt's also a bit short-sighted. "No one should make $15 flipping burgers! I only make $16 doing [whatever]. And I had to work hard for it!" Mate, maybe your pay is a bit low, too. :P

And hey go flip burgers if you think it is so easy.

Josquius

Surely there's been studies into how the minimum wage impacts on wages overall?
Strikes me logically it should prompt an increase across the board

And yeah. It's a typical problem of working class right wingers that they think in such a small scale immediate cause and effect level. No consideration for how say more people leads to a bigger economy and potentially a richer whole or more people earning more means spending more means growth.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on August 07, 2024, 12:48:57 PM
Quote from: Syt on August 07, 2024, 12:45:48 PMIt's also a bit short-sighted. "No one should make $15 flipping burgers! I only make $16 doing [whatever]. And I had to work hard for it!" Mate, maybe your pay is a bit low, too. :P

And hey go flip burgers if you think it is so easy.

Can't.  The machines do that now.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on August 07, 2024, 11:50:11 AMWell yeah, but my brother in law was in the Army (mostly artillery) for 20+ years, including Gulf War 1 & 2 and Afghanistan, and the closest he's ever come to a combat zone was being station in Germany, I think (what with it being closer to Iraq or Afghanistan than the USA :P ), and at least Trump isn't lying about his service (only why he didn't serve, I guess, bone spurs and all that)?

I am going to retire after 21 years (quite a few years under the War on Terror), and never have been to the Middle East.  Closest I got to a combat zone was San Antonio, TX.  Or Lincolnshire, if that counts.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Norgy on August 07, 2024, 12:37:15 PMThe skill of welding with plutonium while wearing The Stig from "Top Gear"'s racing helmet is rather harder to acquire than a bachelors in, say, English lit. So a valid point there.

Homer Simpson has been doing it for 35 years and can afford a house and three kids on a one working parent income, so I'd imagine it pays well!
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 07, 2024, 09:41:02 PM
Quote from: Syt on August 07, 2024, 11:50:11 AMWell yeah, but my brother in law was in the Army (mostly artillery) for 20+ years, including Gulf War 1 & 2 and Afghanistan, and the closest he's ever come to a combat zone was being station in Germany, I think (what with it being closer to Iraq or Afghanistan than the USA :P ), and at least Trump isn't lying about his service (only why he didn't serve, I guess, bone spurs and all that)?

I am going to retire after 21 years (quite a few years under the War on Terror), and never have been to the Middle East.  Closest I got to a combat zone was San Antonio, TX.  Or Lincolnshire, if that counts.

Fair, but I doubt you go around screaming "RAAAH, I was in the military, listen to me puny civilians! RAAAH!" like you put a bullet in Bin Laden yourself. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Norgy

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on August 07, 2024, 10:19:20 PM
Quote from: Norgy on August 07, 2024, 12:37:15 PMThe skill of welding with plutonium while wearing The Stig from "Top Gear"'s racing helmet is rather harder to acquire than a bachelors in, say, English lit. So a valid point there.

Homer Simpson has been doing it for 35 years and can afford a house and three kids on a one working parent income, so I'd imagine it pays well!

Not to mention Homer's also been safety inspector and an astronaut. Maybe he should be a VP candidate? :unsure:

Tamas

The hit Youtube sensation, "Rich men north of Richmond" tells you everything you need to know about these "salt of the earth" sort of people. These unjustly downtrodden people's chief concern is that people even more downtrodden might get some help, which is terrible. Rather make sure there are people feeling shittier than them, instead of trying to cooperate to make everyone's lot better.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould