News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Darth Wagtaros

All the non-woke have sharpie notes in their hands reminding them not to be woke.
PDH!

Razgovory

That one comes from a website called America's Last Line of Defense.  They write false articles and label it satire.  Right-wingers aways seem to fall for it.  They even put the satire watermark on the pictures and the Right still falls for it.  I don't know what their angle is, but it's sad to watch.

The person depicted is Rosanne Barr, a comedian who fell from grace about a decade ago, for some racist stuff she posted on Twitter.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on July 25, 2024, 12:37:38 PMIs Gen X being dicks to young people a thing now?

I used to think the Gen X attitude was "leave us out of it" when boomers and millenials were yelling at each other.

Randomly found a page with this tab opened and read this...
I suppose it makes sense no?
Boomer vs. Millenial.
Gen X vs. Gen Z.
Same gap there.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on August 14, 2024, 02:31:30 AM
Quote from: Jacob on July 25, 2024, 12:37:38 PMIs Gen X being dicks to young people a thing now?

I used to think the Gen X attitude was "leave us out of it" when boomers and millenials were yelling at each other.

Boomer vs. Millenial.
Gen X vs. Gen Z.
Same gap there.

The reason it doesn't make sense is
the cause of the generational friction  isn't the age gap. It's the power relationship.  Boomers are, remarkably, still in positions of authority simply because people are retiring much later in life. 

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 14, 2024, 04:11:33 AM

Boomer vs. Millenial.
Gen X vs. Gen Z.
Same gap there.

the cause of the generational friction  isn't the age gap. It's the power relationship.  Boomers are, remarkably, still in positions of authority simply because people are retiring much later in life. 

Gen X annoyed at a fairly large number of up and coming Gen Zers making it into senior roles when "their turn" has been skipped?
As a millennial I can definitely confess to some of those vibes. They had a much more favourable, less traumatising, upbringing and entry to work than us, and the timing with boomers retiring/dying is there.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on August 14, 2024, 04:13:43 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 14, 2024, 04:11:33 AM

Boomer vs. Millenial.
Gen X vs. Gen Z.
Same gap there.

Gen X annoyed at a fairly large number of up and coming Gen Zers making it into senior roles when "their turn" has been skipped?
As a millennial I can definitely confess to some of those vibes. They had a much more favourable, less traumatising, upbringing and entry to work than us, and the timing with boomers retiring/dying is there.

do you have any examples of 20 somethings making it into senior decision-making positions ahead of Gen xers?

I have to admit I have not seen it occurring.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 14, 2024, 04:29:49 AMdo you have any examples of 20 somethings making it into senior decision-making positions ahead of Gen xers?

I have to admit I have not seen it occurring.

McKinsey & Company.
Deloitte.
Booz Allen Hamilton.
KBR.
KPMG.

Up to my fucking ass with an entire army of 28 year old Ambers, Michelles and Kaylees with masters degrees, billing out at $300 an hour, running around everywhere providing "management services," blending in with company email accounts, coordinating their 2 dozen little Zoom meetings a week, just so we can circle back and close the loop on this milestone, thank you very much.

Snotty little shits are everywhere. Nevermind the fact that 8 years earlier they were taking facials from the basketball team when they were at University at Tuition during rush week with Kappa Creme Pi, now they suddenly know everything.

Fucking brats.

crazy canuck

Yeah, the entry level positions of those organizations.

That's not surprising.

The claim was that 20 somethings were taking senior positions.

Josquius

I'm not sure how I'd come up with an answer really. I've met a few at work but that means nothing to you.
In the world at large there's been a fair few young MPs elected, 30under 30is a thing etc...

It doesn't have to be based on any fact. Statistically gen z could even be underpresented in promotions. But seeing just a few examples could be enough to trigger some gen x people.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 14, 2024, 07:17:04 AMYeah, the entry level positions of those organizations.

That's not surprising.

That's not what I'm fucking saying.

QuoteThe claim was that 20 somethings were taking senior positions.

Embedded consultants for "professional managed services" are senior positions for the length of their multi-year contracts.  Kaylee doesn't report to you, you report to her.

Sounds like you need more consultants in your life, since you're not sure how it works.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on August 14, 2024, 07:27:15 AMI'm not sure how I'd come up with an answer really. I've met a few at work but that means nothing to you.
In the world at large there's been a fair few young MPs elected, 30under 30is a thing etc...

It doesn't have to be based on any fact. Statistically gen z could even be underpresented in promotions. But seeing just a few examples could be enough to trigger some gen x people.

I accept that there are a few people in their 20s who have ascended to senior positions. That occurs in every generation.  But your claim was that there was a fairly large number who had done it. That would be unusual, and an unusual claim requires some evidence other than an anecdote of a person or two that you've heard of or encountered.

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2024, 07:31:16 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 14, 2024, 07:17:04 AMYeah, the entry level positions of those organizations.

That's not surprising.

That's not what I'm fucking saying.

QuoteThe claim was that 20 somethings were taking senior positions.

Embedded consultants for "professional managed services" are senior positions for the length of their multi-year contracts.  Kaylee doesn't report to you, you report to her.

Sounds like you need more consultants in your life, since you're not sure how it works.

What you're talking about is a different issue and that is organizations relying on consultants.

That is the plague of our age and should be stamped out with extreme prejudice. But I don't think that has anything to do with The claim Jos is  making.

Norgy

"Management services". That is late-capitalism for "We can't cope because we are busy trying to explain to the shareowners why we overspend".

I work in a newspaper where the idea that everyone, all subscribers, should be digital was thought out in some board meeting, so the number of paper issues a week was cut from six to three.

Obviously, since it would make things "efficient", the service of delivering those three paper newspapers a week to those who still actually read a newspaper was handed out to some company. And, since we've cut all customer care staff locally and placed it in some hellhole of a call centre, nobody could get through to say "My newspaper did not arrive today". Because of course it didn't when the company supposedly delivering newspapers was staffed entirely by foreigners. Underpaid people from some former Soviet republic do not know Bumsticks, Norway well. So obviously they will miss a lot of addresses.
So that means people call us, the writing staff and editorial staff. Where is my newspaper?

And all I can say is, I have no idea, but I will email the customer centre. And after about 5-7 calls each day the paper was supposed to be delivered, I haven't had time to write anything meaningful or worthwhile for our digital version.

I really love this stage of capitalism's final demise. I saw Mark Cuban telling Jon Stewart that the young people today are kinder than Gen X.
And yes, I can relate. I have been, and probably am, an asshole. My only source of pride is not having gone down some rabbit hole of full-blown conspiracy thinking. And that I saw Pearl Jam live.

crazy canuck

I think that's accurate but I think the problem goes deeper.  Businesses have removed their own capacity to do things in the name of Shareholder value by terminating all the employees who could actually get stuff done.

So now they have no choice, but to turn to consultancy organizations who actually also have no idea how to get things done because they send in the entry-level folks to drive up their billings.  Also, The consultants have no skin in the game. They don't actually implement they just recommend what should be implemented and then go onto the next high paying consulting contract.