And we're back!

Main Menu

The Paris Attack Debate Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, November 13, 2015, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 16, 2015, 01:04:23 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on November 16, 2015, 09:57:38 AM
that's why i said "mostly correct." broken world only goes so far. it's really whatever conditions exist that force a violent extreme group into existence. things like red army faction and the IRA formed more because there was a group of people who really desired something. the basis can be caused by religion, political ideology, ethnicity, nationalism, or one of many other reasons why people band together. but there has to be something going on for one person to convince others to jump on board. otherwise it's some ranting nut.

Did you just concede your entire point. :unsure:

nope

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on November 17, 2015, 09:29:32 PM
nope

I thought your starting position was broken world was the indispensible component.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 17, 2015, 09:35:19 PMI thought your starting position was broken world was the indispensible component.

that can be a serious reason why. but there can be something else, like a group feeling under pressure/attack. broken world isn't indispensable, but it sure helps.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on November 17, 2015, 09:37:31 PM
that can be a serious reason why. but there can be something else, like a group feeling under pressure/attack. broken world isn't indispensable, but it sure helps.

Something else, such as a religion that glorifies violence and retribution and magnifies perceived insults to the group?

Sure sounds to me like you're retreating from your previous position, without admitting that you are.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 17, 2015, 09:42:04 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on November 17, 2015, 09:37:31 PM

Something else, such as a religion that glorifies violence and retribution and magnifies perceived insults to the group?

Sure sounds to me like you're retreating from your previous position, without admitting that you are.

no, my position has always been that there's another reason for violence than mere classification. some ethnic groups commit violent acts, while many others don't. some religious groups commit violent acts, while many others don't. broken world explains why violent extremist muslim groups have erupted, but it's not gonna cover every instance because there can be other causes for violent individuals banding together to form a violent group.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on November 17, 2015, 09:52:48 PM
no, my position has always been that there's another reason for violence than mere classification.

I don't understand what this means.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 17, 2015, 09:57:41 PMI don't understand what this means.

classification = classes of people, like religion, ethnicity, political ideology, etc. how people classify themselves.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on November 17, 2015, 10:57:38 PM
classification = classes of people, like religion, ethnicity, political ideology, etc. how people classify themselves.

Then you seem to be contradicting yourself with this:

some ethnic groups commit violent acts, while many others don't. some religious groups commit violent acts, while many others don't.

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 17, 2015, 07:48:14 PM
Flanby/Hollande worse than Hitler?

Of course not. He is not President of the United States.

QuoteIn other news, seems the Union nationale is over at the Assemblée Nationale.

Who is rebelling?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 17, 2015, 10:59:53 PMThen you seem to be contradicting yourself with this:

some ethnic groups commit violent acts, while many others don't. some religious groups commit violent acts, while many others don't.

broad classifications. literally taken, yes, al-qaeda is a classification. i thought your argument was that all of islam is violent as witnessed by the actions of violent islamic groups. i'm saying that's similar to all communists are violent as witnessed by the actions of the bolsheviks.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on November 17, 2015, 11:08:30 PM
broad classifications. literally taken, yes, al-qaeda is a classification. i thought your argument was that all of islam is violent as witnessed by the actions of violent islamic groups. i'm saying that's similar to all communists are violent as witnessed by the actions of the bolsheviks.

I have never said all Muslims are violent.  That would be empirically ridiculous.  I have said violence is a key, unalterable component of the holy text, and that because of this sacred endorsement of violence--nay, the elevation of violence to a sacred duty-- Muslims have a higher proclivity for violence than members of other religions.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."