News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Paris Attack Debate Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, November 13, 2015, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Good point Valmy, but Jonathan Swift was Irish.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grinning_Colossus

Wouldn't res ipsa locutur be more like leaving detonators lying around?
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2015, 11:41:04 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 18, 2015, 10:42:57 PM
Kind of amazed that the apologism for Islamic radicalism extends so far that people are willing to blame the US Civil War not on people demanding that they have the right to own other people (slavery), but on the ideology that this is a pretty terrible idea (abolition).

Eh why not? The Abolitionists got blamed for it at the time.

Fear of abolition was certainly a major factor in the rebellion.  I have a problem with the idea that abolitionism can breed violence.  Some good things can be violent.  Sometimes a good thing (like freedom), is worth violence.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 18, 2015, 07:36:11 PM
As I said above, the faith based arbitration allowed under the 1991 Arbitration Act.

Ah, your reference to a stupid law threw me off.  Since when are you against private parties deciding how to resolve their disputes?

Berkut

Quote from: Berkut on November 18, 2015, 04:28:16 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 18, 2015, 03:42:40 PM
It's a little bizarre for non-Muslims to be so vehement in saying that the Quranic interpretations of a minority faction of certifiable lunatics must be the true and correct ones in the face of millions of actual practicing Muslims who say the opposite.

I think this is a strawman - the issue is not what non-Muslims believe, the issue is what the "certifiable lunatics" believe.

And they believe that they are good and true Muslims.

And I am not sure I am buying this claim that they are some tiny minority - it seems like there are a lots and lots of Muslims who support this kind of violence, even if they are not engaging in it themselves. Indeed, it seems to me like there are lots of Muslims out there who are mostly constrained by their lack of power to impose their religious will on others, rather than being restrained by the lack of ideology stating that said will ought not be forced onto others.

But I have no problem conceding that there are lots and lots of Muslims for whom their religion is no more intrinsically violent than your typical American Christian, and they are perfectly fine neighbors. Most all of them that I have personally experienced, in fact.

OK, so here is a quote from an Imam in Saudia Arabia, Wahabbist I believe:

QuoteIn a public address delivered by Saudi cleric Muhammad Al-Arifi, which aired on Al-Nas TV on February 21, 2012, the Sheikh said: "There is no doubt that one's devotion to Jihad for the sake of Allah and one's will to shed blood, smash skulls, and chop off body parts for the sake of Allah and in defense of His religion constitute an honor for the believer. Just having this notion in your heart is a mark of honor, even if you do not actually wage Jihad." He continues; "If the Muslims implemented the words of Allah: "Fight the infidels near you, and let them find harshness in you," and other Koranic verses, like the Verse of the Sword, which deal with fighting the infidels and conquering their countries, stating that they should join Islam, pay the jizya poll tax, or be fought. . . Had the Muslims implemented this, we would not be in our current state of humiliation."

Now, you can say "Oh, he is one of those crazy ones, so what?"

Here is the thing - his views are NOT some outlier, crazy fringe of the Islamic world. This guy has more people listening to him than the Pope - has something like 15 million twitter followers. He is a star in the Islamic Sunni world.

Again, I do not dispute that some particular person could justify their own violence with other religious texts, and certainly have in the past. And when they do, I will be the first to recognize that as a problem.

But right now, today, the reality is that nobody is even coming close to Jihadists when it comes to religious violence. There is no comparison to the scale here, both in actual violence, and in those who may not engage in violence, but recognize that the fundamental concepts behind it are perfectly valid and to be honored (martyrdom, religious intolerance, death penalities for homosexuals, etc., etc.)
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

I am not sure that the argument that if we get rid of Muslims, we would also need to do the same with the Irish and Serbs, is really working as you guys intended.  :hmm:

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on November 19, 2015, 04:18:32 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 18, 2015, 04:28:16 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 18, 2015, 03:42:40 PM
It's a little bizarre for non-Muslims to be so vehement in saying that the Quranic interpretations of a minority faction of certifiable lunatics must be the true and correct ones in the face of millions of actual practicing Muslims who say the opposite.

I think this is a strawman - the issue is not what non-Muslims believe, the issue is what the "certifiable lunatics" believe.

And they believe that they are good and true Muslims.

And I am not sure I am buying this claim that they are some tiny minority - it seems like there are a lots and lots of Muslims who support this kind of violence, even if they are not engaging in it themselves. Indeed, it seems to me like there are lots of Muslims out there who are mostly constrained by their lack of power to impose their religious will on others, rather than being restrained by the lack of ideology stating that said will ought not be forced onto others.

But I have no problem conceding that there are lots and lots of Muslims for whom their religion is no more intrinsically violent than your typical American Christian, and they are perfectly fine neighbors. Most all of them that I have personally experienced, in fact.

OK, so here is a quote from an Imam in Saudia Arabia, Wahabbist I believe:

QuoteIn a public address delivered by Saudi cleric Muhammad Al-Arifi, which aired on Al-Nas TV on February 21, 2012, the Sheikh said: "There is no doubt that one's devotion to Jihad for the sake of Allah and one's will to shed blood, smash skulls, and chop off body parts for the sake of Allah and in defense of His religion constitute an honor for the believer. Just having this notion in your heart is a mark of honor, even if you do not actually wage Jihad." He continues; "If the Muslims implemented the words of Allah: "Fight the infidels near you, and let them find harshness in you," and other Koranic verses, like the Verse of the Sword, which deal with fighting the infidels and conquering their countries, stating that they should join Islam, pay the jizya poll tax, or be fought. . . Had the Muslims implemented this, we would not be in our current state of humiliation."

Now, you can say "Oh, he is one of those crazy ones, so what?"

Here is the thing - his views are NOT some outlier, crazy fringe of the Islamic world. This guy has more people listening to him than the Pope - has something like 15 million twitter followers. He is a star in the Islamic Sunni world.

Again, I do not dispute that some particular person could justify their own violence with other religious texts, and certainly have in the past. And when they do, I will be the first to recognize that as a problem.

But right now, today, the reality is that nobody is even coming close to Jihadists when it comes to religious violence. There is no comparison to the scale here, both in actual violence, and in those who may not engage in violence, but recognize that the fundamental concepts behind it are perfectly valid and to be honored (martyrdom, religious intolerance, death penalities for homosexuals, etc., etc.)

I find it amazing how so many of the so-called liberals are perfectly willing to turn a blind eye to evils perpetrated in the muslim countries, so that they do not appear "islamophobic".

Admiral Yi

The punishment for failure to crop a quote shall be stoning.

DGuller

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2015, 04:26:11 PM
The punishment for failure to crop a quote shall be stoning.

Sounds legit.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on November 19, 2015, 04:20:12 PM
I am not sure that the argument that if we get rid of Muslims, we would also need to do the same with the Irish and Serbs, is really working as you guys intended.  :hmm:

I'm willing to keep the muslims if we can get rid of the irish and serbs. Lets compromise!
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

He does have 13 million twitter followers, placing him behind will.i.am, Paris Hilton, Ryan Seacrest and Ashton Kutcher.  Not sure what to make of that.  He is a Wahhabi, and it appears the vast majority of his followers are Saudi; the second most popular Saudi twitterite (11 million and rising) is a Ahmad Al-Shugairi, an Islamic moderate and reformist.  Even in the heartland of hardliner Salafi Islam, the fundamentalist message is contested.

It's silly to say Al-arifi has more influence than the Pope, it's not even close.  The Pope is the unquestioned religious leader of 1.25 billion Catholics; there are about 50 million Muslims worldwide that identify with Salafism, or about 3%.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

We have to get rid of people who get on subway trains before people have a chance to get off.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.