And we're back!

Main Menu

The Paris Attack Debate Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, November 13, 2015, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2015, 06:10:48 PM
Quote from: dps on November 18, 2015, 05:47:49 PM
I have some problem agreeing with this position.  Almost any belief can motivate some people to violence.

For example, that John Brown used terrorist tactics doesn't reflect poorly on abolitionism, IMO.  (ACW hijack!)

I think there's a difference between a cause (such as abolitionism, independence, civil rights, etc) and a belief system such as a religion.  There will always be proponents of violence to achieve virtually any cause, but it doesn't stem organically from the cause itself.

Hmm.  I see your point.  Not entirely convinced, though, since arguably people's advocacy of any given cause does usually stem from their belief systems (which may or may not be religious in nature). 

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 18, 2015, 06:04:41 PM
I don't know how valid it is to compare Canadian Muslim anecdotes to European ones. In both America and Canada the Muslim populations are pretty well integrated, although I do have to say Canada has a lot of stupid law relating to religion (faith-based tribunals, their imbecilic Human Rights Commissions calling in people for blasting radical Imams etc.) But in Europe they don't tend to have well integrated Muslims, and a lot of that is also probably because America and Canada get a "better class of Muslim." A lot of American Muslims didn't come here as refugees, for example, but as skilled workers or the family's of such. Then a lot of American Muslims also came from earlier refugee crises and are now in 2nd or 3rd generation status, and those individuals always tend to be better assimilated.

I am beginning to think you and Viper get your Canadian news from the same source. :P

Anecdotal I know, but every Muslim family I know came here as refugees.  The parents - the actual refugees are not what you portray and certainly their kids - first generation - are Canadians through and through.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2015, 05:42:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2015, 05:35:32 PM
As opposed to say any system of ideas.  Should Yi have to apologize to the world every time someone adhering to Austrian economics runs a scam, or kills people through negligence?  If someone believed the same thing as Yi (or at least thought they did), and did a bad thing because of those beliefs does this reflect poorly on Yi?

I would say yes.  If I espouse a belief system that breeds a certain level of violence, then I think that belief system is problematic.

I think that is the dilemna confronting good Muslims, who are trying to raise their children to be good Muslims as well.

Instead of violence what about negligence or risk taking?  Say someone who adheres to economic theories you do avoided doing government mandated safety inspections and poisoned a customer or killed an employee?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2015, 06:53:01 PM
Instead of violence what about negligence or risk taking?  Say someone who adheres to economic theories you do avoided doing government mandated safety inspections and poisoned a customer or killed an employee?

Then I would think you're trying to steer the discussion in a silly and uninteresting direction.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 06:34:01 PMI am beginning to think you and Viper get your Canadian news from the same source. :P

Anecdotal I know, but every Muslim family I know came here as refugees.  The parents - the actual refugees are not what you portray and certainly their kids - first generation - are Canadians through and through.

If you parse the actual quote, look at where I never say anything about the refugee status of Canadian Muslims, because I don't know. I said "A lot of American Muslims don't come here as refugees." Most of the ones I've had direct contact with at work are IT guys/gals who are from Pakistan and India.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Malthus on November 18, 2015, 06:11:54 PMMost of the Muslims I know personally were refugees - particularly, from Iran. Mind you they were fleeing because of the Ayatollahs, and they were pretty 'upper class' well-educated urbanites. 

I have no idea what you are taking about 'faith-based tribunals'.  :hmm: Care to explain?

Many years ago you and I once had a massive argument about them. So I suspect you may know what I'm talking about, but are just playing a game because you don't like the term "faith based tribunals", but I'm referring to faith-based arbitrators under the 1991 Arbitration Act involving Jewish, Catholic and Native American cultural/religious norms being used to decide civil matters.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2015, 05:24:19 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2015, 03:52:06 PM
The problem is that even those Muslims who do not support terrorism are pretty creepy and medieval.

I dunno.  The muslims that I actually know are all pretty cool.   :)

Granted of course they're muslim-Canadians, but it still would seem to counter your point.
most of them are ok.  With regards to other Québécois, there's no significant differences outside of their religious zeal.  But we do have a problem on how we integrate the first generation, those that studied abroad.  But it ain't exclusive to arabs/muslims, all foreigners are treated like shit for that.  Many diplomas are not recognized, so you have many doctors and engineers driving a taxi.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 18, 2015, 07:19:59 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 06:34:01 PMI am beginning to think you and Viper get your Canadian news from the same source. :P

If you parse the actual quote, look at where I never say anything about the refugee status of Canadian Muslims, because I don't know. I said "A lot of American Muslims don't come here as refugees." Most of the ones I've had direct contact with at work are IT guys/gals who are from Pakistan and India.

It was this bit that my comment was directed to:

Quotealthough I do have to say Canada has a lot of stupid law relating to religion (faith-based tribunals, their imbecilic Human Rights Commissions calling in people for blasting radical Imams etc.)

I have no idea what you are talking about but the source seems consistent with Viper's view of the world.

OttoVonBismarck

As I said above, the faith based arbitration allowed under the 1991 Arbitration Act.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2015, 07:17:57 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2015, 06:53:01 PM

Then I would think you're trying to steer the discussion in a silly and uninteresting direction.

Oh it's quite interesting.  Can you find fault in a philosophy that if acted on has predictable negative outcome? What if someone warp those ideas beyond what you believe. Is that philosophy still deficient?  Is it fair to oppose say Communism because economic disaster is a predictable outcome from attempting to implement it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2015, 07:52:02 PM
Oh it's quite interesting.

Find someone who agrees with you and you have all the makings of the discussion.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on November 18, 2015, 02:22:33 PM

Matthew 10:34: "Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35"For I came to SET A MAN AGAINST HIS FATHER, AND A DAUGHTER AGAINST HER MOTHER, AND A DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AGAINST HER MOTHER-IN-LAW;..."

And people say there's no proof that God exists.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

I have some problem agreeing with this position.  Almost any belief can motivate some people to violence.

For example, that John Brown used terrorist tactics doesn't reflect poorly on abolitionism, IMO.  (ACW hijack!)

I think there's a difference between a cause (such as abolitionism, independence, civil rights, etc) and a belief system such as a religion.  There will always be proponents of violence to achieve virtually any cause, but it doesn't stem organically from the cause itself.

I think the more important thing to note is that John Brown was a rather singular exception.

If there were hundreds of John Brown attacks happening every year, killing thousands of people, all of whom claimed they were motivated by their desire to free slaves, then in fact it would not be unreasonable to note that this abolition thing seems to drive a lot of violence.

Since that didn't happen, the point is kind of moot.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

mongers

In response IS have executed two hostages, Norwegian and Chinese, photos apparently in their glossy 'in-house' magazine.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on November 18, 2015, 09:39:45 PM

I think the more important thing to note is that John Brown was a rather singular exception.

If there were hundreds of John Brown attacks happening every year, killing thousands of people, all of whom claimed they were motivated by their desire to free slaves, then in fact it would not be unreasonable to note that this abolition thing seems to drive a lot of violence.

Since that didn't happen, the point is kind of moot.
well. there was a war with some 3/4 of a million victims.  Or maybe it was a war about States rights? ;)
And there were slave rebellion elsewhere.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.