News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Paris Attack Debate Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, November 13, 2015, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2015, 03:52:06 PM
The problem is that even those Muslims who do not support terrorism are pretty creepy and medieval.

I dunno.  The muslims that I actually know are all pretty cool.   :)

Granted of course they're muslim-Canadians, but it still would seem to counter your point.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on November 18, 2015, 05:12:15 PM
Coming up: a baby who eats Jews...?!

There's a statue of this heroic feat in the Vigeland sculpture park.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on November 18, 2015, 04:33:07 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 18, 2015, 04:28:16 PM
I think this is a strawman - the issue is not what non-Muslims believe, the issue is what the "certifiable lunatics" believe.

And they believe that they are good and true Muslims.
As opposed to other, emotionally torn, extremists?

As opposed to say any system of ideas.  Should Yi have to apologize to the world every time someone adhering to Austrian economics runs a scam, or kills people through negligence?  If someone believed the same thing as Yi (or at least thought they did), and did a bad thing because of those beliefs does this reflect poorly on Yi?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2015, 05:24:19 PM
The problem is that even those Muslims who do not support terrorism are pretty creepy and medieval.

Granted of course they're muslim-Canadians, but it still would seem to counter your point.

Yeah, I've known a variety of muslims, and a variety of Arabs some of whom were pretty secular, and they have all been pretty cool.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2015, 05:35:32 PM
As opposed to say any system of ideas.  Should Yi have to apologize to the world every time someone adhering to Austrian economics runs a scam, or kills people through negligence?  If someone believed the same thing as Yi (or at least thought they did), and did a bad thing because of those beliefs does this reflect poorly on Yi?

I would say yes.  If I espouse a belief system that breeds a certain level of violence, then I think that belief system is problematic.

I think that is the dilemna confronting good Muslims, who are trying to raise their children to be good Muslims as well.

crazy canuck

The starting line up of my son's basketball team includes - a Sikh, a Hindu and a Muslim.  According to Viper the world should shake with fear!  But not so much other teams because most will have a higher percentage of Sikhs on their teams.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2015, 05:42:51 PM

I would say yes.  If I espouse a belief system that breeds a certain level of violence, then I think that belief system is problematic.

I think that is the dilemna confronting good Muslims, who are trying to raise their children to be good Muslims as well.

I have some problem agreeing with this position.  Almost any belief can motivate some people to violence.

For example, that John Brown used terrorist tactics doesn't reflect poorly on abolitionism, IMO.  (ACW hijack!)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 05:46:04 PM
The starting line up of my son's basketball team includes - a Sikh, a Hindu and a Muslim.  According to Viper the world should shake with fear!

Cause India is such a basketball powerhouse?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on November 18, 2015, 05:47:49 PM

I have some problem agreeing with this position.  Almost any belief can motivate some people to violence.

For example, that John Brown used terrorist tactics doesn't reflect poorly on abolitionism, IMO.  (ACW hijack!)

The only solution for Yi is to have no beliefs at all.  Which given many of his amoral views is probably pretty close to his reality.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2015, 05:51:02 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 05:46:04 PM
The starting line up of my son's basketball team includes - a Sikh, a Hindu and a Muslim.  According to Viper the world should shake with fear!

Cause India is such a basketball powerhouse?

Go up against a large Sikh player and he will wide the smirk off your face pretty fast.   ;)

OttoVonBismarck

I don't know how valid it is to compare Canadian Muslim anecdotes to European ones. In both America and Canada the Muslim populations are pretty well integrated, although I do have to say Canada has a lot of stupid law relating to religion (faith-based tribunals, their imbecilic Human Rights Commissions calling in people for blasting radical Imams etc.) But in Europe they don't tend to have well integrated Muslims, and a lot of that is also probably because America and Canada get a "better class of Muslim." A lot of American Muslims didn't come here as refugees, for example, but as skilled workers or the family's of such. Then a lot of American Muslims also came from earlier refugee crises and are now in 2nd or 3rd generation status, and those individuals always tend to be better assimilated.

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 05:52:06 PM

The only solution for Yi is to have no beliefs at all.  Which given many of his amoral views is probably pretty close to his reality.

Are you sure you're not confusing him with Mono?

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on November 18, 2015, 05:40:54 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2015, 05:24:19 PM

Yeah, I've known a variety of muslims, and a variety of Arabs some of whom were pretty secular, and they have all been pretty cool.

Whenever I think about Marti's stance on muslims, I recall this fondly like it was yesterday.*

Quote from: Martinus on August 19, 2015, 07:20:50 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2015, 07:14:44 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 19, 2015, 07:09:45 AM
Grabon doesn't care about white people who are victims of police violence.

So clearly that is a false statement.

Not sure about that but you are clearly selective in your outrage. For example, your profile picture features an ISIS murderess. Even if ironic, this seems bad taste - more than if, say, Derspiess had Zimmermann's pic in his profile, for example.

*and yes, I just pulled a Raz. So sue me. :cool:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

I think there's a difference between a cause (such as abolitionism, independence, civil rights, etc) and a belief system such as a religion.  There will always be proponents of violence to achieve virtually any cause, but it doesn't stem organically from the cause itself.

Malthus

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 18, 2015, 06:04:41 PM
I don't know how valid it is to compare Canadian Muslim anecdotes to European ones. In both America and Canada the Muslim populations are pretty well integrated, although I do have to say Canada has a lot of stupid law relating to religion (faith-based tribunals, their imbecilic Human Rights Commissions calling in people for blasting radical Imams etc.) But in Europe they don't tend to have well integrated Muslims, and a lot of that is also probably because America and Canada get a "better class of Muslim." A lot of American Muslims didn't come here as refugees, for example, but as skilled workers or the family's of such. Then a lot of American Muslims also came from earlier refugee crises and are now in 2nd or 3rd generation status, and those individuals always tend to be better assimilated.

Most of the Muslims I know personally were refugees - particularly, from Iran. Mind you they were fleeing because of the Ayatollahs, and they were pretty 'upper class' well-educated urbanites. 

I have no idea what you are taking about 'faith-based tribunals'.  :hmm: Care to explain?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius