And we're back!

Main Menu

The Paris Attack Debate Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, November 13, 2015, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2015, 04:12:43 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 18, 2015, 04:10:31 PM
If I'm a little defensive here, it's because I happen to belong to a religion (Judaism) which probably takes the prize for the most violent-themed holy books.

Interesting, I always thought you were an atheist.

I was born into the religion.  As to belief in God, I'm an ambiguist.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2015, 04:14:00 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 18, 2015, 04:07:19 PM
What attempts have you made to learn about what actual Muslims believe and practice?

I stopped well short of interviewing millions of practicing Muslims.

Yes you stopped well short of having an informed opinion, but that didn't stop you from expressing one.  ;)

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 04:40:03 PM
Yes you stopped well short of having an informed opinion, but that didn't stop you from expressing one.  ;)

Well this is Languish. If we required that well...you know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2015, 04:41:34 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 04:40:03 PM

Well this is Languish. If we required that well...you know.

But we have at least reached the point where Hans is ostracized for saying that there are no legitimate climate scientists and Yi is called out for dumb comments about a religion he understands only through the lens of Fox News.

Valmy

I would never ostracize my buddy Hans just for screaming probably untrue things about climate change  :cool:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 18, 2015, 04:39:00 PM
I was born into the religion. 

I was born into Protestant Christianity, but I would not say I belong to it. Though I suppose I am baptized and even became a member of a church back in sixth grade or so. :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2015, 04:53:15 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 18, 2015, 04:39:00 PM
I was born into the religion. 

I was born into Protestant Christianity, but I would not say I belong to it. Though I suppose I am baptized and even became a member of a church back in sixth grade or so. :unsure:

Being a Jew is a little different.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Berkut on November 18, 2015, 04:28:16 PM
I think this is a strawman - the issue is not what non-Muslims believe, the issue is what the "certifiable lunatics" believe.

And they believe that they are good and true Muslims.

And I am not sure I am buying this claim that they are some tiny minority - it seems like there are a lots and lots of Muslims who support this kind of violence, even if they are not engaging in it themselves. Indeed, it seems to me like there are lots of Muslims out there who are mostly constrained by their lack of power to impose their religious will on others, rather than being restrained by the lack of ideology stating that said will ought not be forced onto others.

But I have no problem conceding that there are lots and lots of Muslims for whom their religion is no more intrinsically violent than your typical American Christian, and they are perfectly fine neighbors. Most all of them that I have personally experienced, in fact.

The problem, as Minsky mentioned elsewhere in reference to Jewish violence, is one of numbers.  When there are over 1.5 billion adherents to a religion, "lots" in the absolute sense can still be "some tiny minority" in the relative sense.  Unfortunately, as various groups have demonstrated over the past several decades, it doesn't take many people in absolute terms to cause a shitload of death, destruction, and chaos.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2015, 04:55:38 PM

But should it be?

At any rate, many ethnic Jews consider themselves non-religious.

Jacob

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2015, 04:59:32 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2015, 04:55:38 PM

But should it be?

At any rate, many ethnic Jews consider themselves non-religious.

It doesn't stop people from ascribing various proclivities to Jews, be they religious or non-religious.

Eddie Teach

Well, sure, Malthus eats babies, but that's just because he likes the taste. ;)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2015, 05:04:38 PM
Well, sure, Malthus eats babies, but that's just because he likes the taste. ;)

The pain and sorrow of their parents is also an inducement.  :)

Though that may be more a "lawyer" thing, than a "Jew" thing.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2015, 05:06:21 PM
I'm not sure why that matters.

Because we're being a little too quick to discard our own cultural heritage.

The Brain

Coming up: a baby who eats Jews...?!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.