Started by Admiral Yi, November 13, 2015, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2015, 02:30:36 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 18, 2015, 02:24:06 PM
Popery? "Poppery" sounds like a crusade for chewing gum.  :P

Perhaps a portmanteau of poppycock and foppery?  :hmm:

Hey, that could work.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2015, 03:02:07 PM
Man both of the Paris attack threads got hijacked by religion.

I tried for an English Civil War hijack, but it didn't have legs.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Quote from: KRonn on November 18, 2015, 02:58:06 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 18, 2015, 02:18:31 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 18, 2015, 02:06:20 PM
Are you trying to hit all the dumbest argument ever in one day?
No, I was sarcastic.

Even if we abolished all religions, we would still slaughter ourselves for various reasons.

Agreed, and humans have been doing so. I don't think more people have died from religions. Seems more have died from other reasons. WW1, WW2, , various Euro wars, US Civil War, just to name a few. Communists killed a hundred million at least, and many other wars and conflicts that have nothing to do with religion.

This is such a bizarre attitude.

So...since humans kill each other for reasons other than religion, and maybe even kill each other for all other reasons combined more than they do for religion...therefore being concerned about the death toll from religious violence is unwarranted?

Huh?

So the only violence we can ever be concerned about is violence that results in more violence than all OTHER forms of violence combined?

WTF are you people babbling about? It makes no sense at all.

"Religious violence is bad, and something to be very concerned about"

That statement is not reliant on a presumption that religion is the sole, primary, or even most prevalent form of violence there is - and indeed, we DO worry about and act to prevent other kinds of violence all the time. We spend trillions trying to prevent wars, billions trying to prevent rape and murder, billions trying to decrease gun fatalities.

Why is religion special, such that anyone bringing up religious violence is immediately dismissed as if we cannot worry ourselves about it as long as there is any such thing as non-religious violence?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2015, 03:02:07 PM
Man both of the Paris attack threads got hijacked by religion.

Time to retaliate by hijacking the early Christian sects thread!

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on November 18, 2015, 03:06:50 PM
Quote from: KRonn on November 18, 2015, 02:58:06 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 18, 2015, 02:18:31 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 18, 2015, 02:06:20 PM
Are you trying to hit all the dumbest argument ever in one day?
No, I was sarcastic.

Even if we abolished all religions, we would still slaughter ourselves for various reasons.

Agreed, and humans have been doing so. I don't think more people have died from religions. Seems more have died from other reasons. WW1, WW2, , various Euro wars, US Civil War, just to name a few. Communists killed a hundred million at least, and many other wars and conflicts that have nothing to do with religion.

This is such a bizarre attitude.

So...since humans kill each other for reasons other than religion, and maybe even kill each other for all other reasons combined more than they do for religion...therefore being concerned about the death toll from religious violence is unwarranted?

Huh?

So the only violence we can ever be concerned about is violence that results in more violence than all OTHER forms of violence combined?

WTF are you people babbling about? It makes no sense at all.

"Religious violence is bad, and something to be very concerned about"

That statement is not reliant on a presumption that religion is the sole, primary, or even most prevalent form of violence there is - and indeed, we DO worry about and act to prevent other kinds of violence all the time. We spend trillions trying to prevent wars, billions trying to prevent rape and murder, billions trying to decrease gun fatalities.

Why is religion special, such that anyone bringing up religious violence is immediately dismissed as if we cannot worry ourselves about it as long as there is any such thing as non-religious violence?

People kill each other for all sorts of reasons but you only seem to be concerned with those that died people inspired by religion.  Kronn brings up communism, a materialist philosophy (like yours!), but you aren't interested in find out combating materialism despite the death toll being higher then religion.  You bring up rape.  Rape is a sexual act, but I don't see anyone trying to ban sex in an effort to stop rape.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Queequeg on November 18, 2015, 12:51:56 PM
I'm not sure the Byzantines or Sassanids or Arab Jews would agree.

The Jews would agree the Byzantines sucked and have no business pointing fingers at anyone else.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 18, 2015, 03:31:41 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on November 18, 2015, 12:51:56 PM
I'm not sure the Byzantines or Sassanids or Arab Jews would agree.

The Jews would agree the Byzantines sucked and have no business pointing fingers at anyone else.

The Byzantines would never have done any such thing anyway. They always believed their own sins were responsible.

Granted probably for being too tolerant of the Jews.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on November 18, 2015, 02:22:33 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2015, 01:48:38 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 18, 2015, 01:43:22 PM
the Bible calls for violence, Christians do a shitload of violence.
Israel's more militant factions relies on their sacred texts to justify Israel's expulsion of the Palestinians.

The New Testament most definitely does not call for violence.  Exactly the opposite.

Matthew 10:34: "Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35"For I came to SET A MAN AGAINST HIS FATHER, AND A DAUGHTER AGAINST HER MOTHER, AND A DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AGAINST HER MOTHER-IN-LAW;..."

Plus the passages about peoples and entire nations being utterly destroyed for refusing to accept the gospel.
Deus vult.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 18, 2015, 03:38:17 PM
Plus the passages about peoples and entire nations being utterly destroyed for refusing to accept the gospel.
Deus vult.

Well that's different.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on November 18, 2015, 01:57:39 PM
Some religions, as they are understood and practiced today, are more accepting of violence than others.

Correct.
The key being how the religions are understood and practiced.
All the more reason we should take seriously the vast majority of practicing Muslims who insist that the violent interpretations of jihadist passages is wrong and even heretical. 

It's a little bizarre for non-Muslims to be so vehement in saying that the Quranic interpretations of a minority faction of certifiable lunatics must be the true and correct ones in the face of millions of actual practicing Muslims who say the opposite.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Well now you have to admit it is a pretty sizable minority. Entire groups of nations are being destabilized by them. Political parties supporting these interpretations have won democratic elections. They are not exactly a fringe, even if the are a minority.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 18, 2015, 03:42:40 PM
Correct.
The key being how the religions are understood and practiced.
All the more reason we should take seriously the vast majority of practicing Muslims who insist that the violent interpretations of jihadist passages is wrong and even heretical. 

It's a little bizarre for non-Muslims to be so vehement in saying that the Quranic interpretations of a minority faction of certifiable lunatics must be the true and correct ones in the face of millions of actual practicing Muslims who say the opposite.

I haven't heard millions of practicing Muslims say anything at all.

The Koran is not a series of parables or allegories; it's a list of commandments, of laws.  As such interpretation in the way we understand it doesn't have much place.  Allah told Mohammed not to drink booze.  You either obey Allah's will or you don't.

Martinus

The problem is that even those Muslims who do not support terrorism are pretty creepy and medieval.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2015, 03:52:06 PM
The problem is that even those Muslims who do not support terrorism are pretty creepy and medieval.

Well to be fair that also applies to their non-Muslim neighbors around where said Muslims live.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2015, 03:53:28 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2015, 03:52:06 PM

Well to be fair that also applies to their non-Muslim neighbors around where said Muslims live.

True. Middle Eastern people are fucked up.