News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Paris Attack Debate Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, November 13, 2015, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 19, 2015, 04:45:01 PM
He does have 13 million twitter followers, placing him behind will.i.am, Paris Hilton, Ryan Seacrest and Ashton Kutcher.  Not sure what to make of that.  He is a Wahhabi, and it appears the vast majority of his followers are Saudi; the second most popular Saudi twitterite (11 million and rising) is a Ahmad Al-Shugairi, an Islamic moderate and reformist.  Even in the heartland of hardliner Salafi Islam, the fundamentalist message is contested.

It's silly to say Al-arifi has more influence than the Pope, it's not even close.  The Pope is the unquestioned religious leader of 1.25 billion Catholics; there are about 50 million Muslims worldwide that identify with Salafism, or about 3%.

How many terrorists does the Pope have?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on November 19, 2015, 04:20:12 PM
I am not sure that the argument that if we get rid of Muslims, we would also need to do the same with the Irish and Serbs, is really working as you guys intended.  :hmm:

History teaches there is no way all those groups get wiped out without Poles and Jews coming first.  :contract:
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

there are about 50 million Muslims worldwide that identify with Salafism, or about 3%.

Still more than twice the total number of Jews.

But granted a lot of Salafis don't actually do anything violent.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on November 19, 2015, 04:46:49 PM
How many terrorists does the Pope have?

Depends. How many people worked for Banco Ambrosiano?  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 19, 2015, 04:47:24 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 19, 2015, 04:20:12 PM
I am not sure that the argument that if we get rid of Muslims, we would also need to do the same with the Irish and Serbs, is really working as you guys intended.  :hmm:

History teaches there is no way all those groups get wiped out without Poles and Jews coming first.  :contract:
Okay, fine, the more the merrier.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on November 19, 2015, 04:22:38 PM
I find it amazing how so many of the so-called liberals are perfectly willing to turn a blind eye to evils perpetrated in the muslim countries, so that they do not appear "islamophobic".

When Martinus is on the warpath, not one particle of straw is safe.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2015, 04:26:11 PM
The punishment for failure to crop a quote shall be stoning.

Berkut quoting himself threw me off.

Martinus

He does have 13 million twitter followers, placing him behind will.i.am, Paris Hilton, Ryan Seacrest and Ashton Kutcher.
Let's not demonize the guy like that...  :rolleyes:

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 19, 2015, 04:53:19 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 19, 2015, 04:22:38 PM
I find it amazing how so many of the so-called liberals are perfectly willing to turn a blind eye to evils perpetrated in the muslim countries, so that they do not appear "islamophobic".

When Martinus is on the warpath, not one particle of straw is safe.

He heard that guy on HBO say it.  Not Oliver, the other guy.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2015, 04:38:54 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 19, 2015, 04:29:13 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2015, 04:26:11 PM
The punishment for failure to crop a quote shall be stoning.
Amen!
Not that kind of getting stoned

* Stop that.  Stop it, will you stop that.  Now look, no one... is to stone anyone... until I blow this whistle.  *Even*...and I want to make this absolutely clear...*even* if they *do* fail to "crop their quotes" *

[big rock]
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

He does have 13 million twitter followers, placing him behind will.i.am, Paris Hilton, Ryan Seacrest and Ashton Kutcher.  Not sure what to make of that.  He is a Wahhabi, and it appears the vast majority of his followers are Saudi; the second most popular Saudi twitterite (11 million and rising) is a Ahmad Al-Shugairi, an Islamic moderate and reformist.  Even in the heartland of hardliner Salafi Islam, the fundamentalist message is contested.

I'm not sure that the fact that a cleric preaching jihad only has a few million more Twitter followers than one preaching moderation really advances your argument.  More like exactly the opposite I would say.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2015, 05:33:02 PM
I'm not sure that the fact that a cleric preaching jihad only has a few million more Twitter followers than one preaching moderation really advances your argument.  More like exactly the opposite I would say.

How many twitter followers does that Republican candidate who claims that Obamacare is worse than slavery have?

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Donald Trump has a lot of twitter followers, and the support of tens of millions of prospective primary voters.  He wants to among other things, reinstate "Operation Wetback," and close mosques.  I suppose one could conclude that the US must be a hotbed of fascism and racism because he has more twitter followers than Hillary Clinton or Marco Rubio. 
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on November 19, 2015, 05:36:32 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2015, 05:33:02 PM

How many twitter followers does that Republican candidate who claims that Obamacare is worse than slavery have?

;)
--Joan Robinson