And we're back!

Main Menu

Shootings and explosions in Paris

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2015, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: viper37 on November 13, 2015, 10:22:03 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 13, 2015, 08:02:42 PM
Much of the Arab muslim world is on fire hence what's happening, as a consequence the West
Depends on how you look at it.
and
the surviving Arab governments need to start taking real measures to end the war in Syria, conquer IS in Iraq and Syria and extinquish the sources of radicalism in their state institutions and populations.
Basically, you wait for the impossible.

You truncated the quote at the and which I was stressing, has to be the West and those arab government, primarily the West using whatever leverage they have to get the Qatari,Saudis et al to change or throw them under a bus, preferable one what like a B52 running route 101 to downtown Riyadh.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

QuoteAfter 9/11 we've killed literally hundreds of thousands of Muslim jihadists, that has clearly not worked.

Why hasn't it worked?  Clearly, it's because we haven't killed enough of them yet.  We just need to correct that.

KRonn

Quote from: viper37 on November 13, 2015, 10:35:02 PM
Quote from: KRonn on November 13, 2015, 08:27:08 PM
Something like that, agreed. IMO the biggest push needs to come from Arab/Muslim governments, not the US/west. The west can help with supplies, equipment, etc. but Islam needs to take the lead in sorting this stuff out. If the west takes on much of it then it's seen as outsiders meddling and provides more impetus for radicals to take action.
on the other hand, most of them have no real incentive to act on their own.  AQ and ISIS are attacking us, mostly.  There's a few attacks over there, but I suspect they are of the same mentality as Assad: they can countain the threat by themselves and they have a bigger opponet: people calling for reforms.

Yeah true, but let's look at it this way. Radical Islam threatens all the Arab governments. Jordan, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain, Egypt, and more. Those are the eventual targets especially as ISIS/AQ types get stronger. As ISIS gets stronger that may cause revolts by radicals in some of those nations serious enough to threaten them. So even though the radicals also attack the west, I think attacking the west and killing infidels gets them more visibility, brings in more volunteers, but they also target other Muslims and the governments of the region are the ones who will fall someday. That has to be a real threat. I think part of the reason these governments don't act against ISIS so much is because they don't have the capability or confidence to do so without a lot of help from the US/Europe. Saudi Arabia is kind of bogged down in Yemen, so that's probably enough for them for now and shows their limitations.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 13, 2015, 10:35:02 PM
on the other hand, most of them have no real incentive to act on their own.  AQ and ISIS are attacking us, mostly.

ISIS is attacking us mostly? That would surely be welcome news to all the locals they have slaughtered. And their goal is to conquer every single Muslim nation between the Atlantic and China...so...

I have nothing to say but this is a horrible crime perpetrated by some of the worst people on the planet. I hope everything is now under control.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 13, 2015, 10:34:26 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 13, 2015, 10:33:16 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 13, 2015, 10:16:38 PM
The next newscaster who calls the Eagles of Death Metal a heavy metal band will feel the full fury of my twins psychic powers.

I'm assuming they're actually a death metal band? :unsure:

No.

Oh. Is this just some sort of "tyranny of small differences" posturing on your part or do they play, bona fide, different genre?

Martinus

Is France capable of declaring and prosecuting a war on ISIS? Because I may be wrong but based on recent pronouncements by Hollande, this is what may happen, imo.

Btw, ISIS definitely is a "state" in the international law sense (even though it is not recognised by the international community) as it meets all the criteria (territory, effective control, own laws it enforces etc.) so if the attack was actually carried out by ISIS (and not some copycats/fanbois), then this should amount to a foreign attack on a NATO country.

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on November 14, 2015, 02:51:55 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 13, 2015, 10:34:26 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 13, 2015, 10:33:16 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 13, 2015, 10:16:38 PM
The next newscaster who calls the Eagles of Death Metal a heavy metal band will feel the full fury of my twins psychic powers.

I'm assuming they're actually a death metal band? :unsure:

No.

Oh. Is this just some sort of "tyranny of small differences" posturing on your part or do they play, bona fide, different genre?

They're a rock band.

QuoteDespite their band name, Eagles of Death Metal are not a death metal band. Hughes stated that a friend was introducing Josh Homme to the death metal genre. When he played a song by the Polish band Vader and made a claim that the song was within the death metal genre, Homme then referred to Vader as "The Eagles of Death Metal". After hearing this phrase, he wondered what a cross between the Eagles and a death metal band would sound like. In a 2003 interview Homme described the sound of the band as a combination of "bluegrass slide guitar mixed with stripper drum beats and Canned Heat vocals." Hughes is known for his enthusiastic interaction with audiences at live performances.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Thanks. To be honest I thought at first that "Eagles of Death Metal" is a name of an event (presumably featuring different death metal bands) and not the name of a band.  :blush:

Duque de Bragança

There's less people than usual on a Saturday morning that's for sure. Feels like a bank holiday.On bank holidays, most bakeries are open and they are the first shops to open anyways during the week in France , for baguettes, pains au chocolat and croissants, but the one I go opens later today, 10 instead of 7, citing the "events".
This bakery is one where the Brain could order a croissant in Swedish, since the boss and part of the staff is Swedish. The Swedish Church being only a metro station away.

Zanza

Is it clear that the terrorists that shot at those cafes and restaurants are actually dead? Was it the same people that attacked the Bataclan?

dps

Quote from: Zanza on November 14, 2015, 04:24:31 AM
Is it clear that the terrorists that shot at those cafes and restaurants are actually dead? Was it the same people that attacked the Bataclan?

My understanding is that it's not clear that they were the same people.

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on November 14, 2015, 04:24:31 AM

They jusy don't know yet. There was enough time between the attacks for a single team to do them but they can't know for sure

Martinus

Hollande: "We are going to lead a war which will be pitiless. When terrorists are capable of committing such atrocities, they must be certain that they are facing a determined France, a united France, a France that is together, and does not let itself be moved"

Ok, now I have a frog boner. :frog:

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk