News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shootings and explosions in Paris

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2015, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2015, 08:51:58 PM

Just shut up Grallon, at least for one day.

Is the clamor of your guilty conscience troubling you already? 

Tell me, is this how you raise your children?  Teaching them that shutting their eyes and averting their faces will make the monster go away?

The elephant is in the room BB - all of you should stop pretending it isn't!

* Glad to see you Money :)

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

jimmy olsen

Seeing a large casualty spread. Many websites say 120~ dead, just as many more say 150~
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Alway find it odd, that the firemen seen in tonight news footage are actually part of the French army and trained as soldiers was well as first aiders.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

This shit ruined my night.
To be paris is just another foreign city. But so many people here have connections  and friends.there
Really Fucked up to have this kind of thing coming into real life.
██████
██████
██████

frunk

My sister and her family are visiting Paris, just got word that they are fine.

Ed Anger

The next newscaster who calls the Eagles of Death Metal a heavy metal band will feel the full fury of my twins psychic powers.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 13, 2015, 07:49:47 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 13, 2015, 07:42:47 PM
I think you are underestimating how "civilian" a city like Paris is.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here? :unsure:

Obviously only a fraction of a percent of the population are police, but given the size of the city that still adds up to thousands if not tens of thousands of officers .
I haven't followed the news on the intervention itself and live media reports are always chaotic, but, assuming there were 6 or 7 distinct attacks, that is 6 or 7 points where you need to gather your police force and even if there are tens of thousands of officers in Paris, they may not be all at work at this moment, they may be on the other side of the city, so it takes time gathering them all in this sector.  Plus, you need police officers to keep civilians at bay, you need some to watch airpots, train stations, any other target of value.

And then we get to the hostage situation.  So, I don't know if there was ever a real hostage situation that police believed in (I was watching an old Nordiques DVD with a friend, it seemed less depressing), but if they believed it was an hostage situation, certainly, they'd want to take measures to avoid civilian casualties.  Storming in unprepared is usually a bad idea, as the Russians have proven.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: mongers on November 13, 2015, 08:02:42 PM
Much of the Arab muslim world is on fire hence what's happening, as a consequence the West
Depends on how you look at it.
and
the surviving Arab governments need to start taking real measures to end the war in Syria, conquer IS in Iraq and Syria and extinquish the sources of radicalism in their state institutions and populations.
Basically, you wait for the impossible.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Quote from: frunk on November 13, 2015, 10:13:32 PM
My sister and her family are visiting Paris, just got word that they are fine.

Good to hear that.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Grallon on November 13, 2015, 09:10:24 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2015, 08:51:58 PM

Just shut up Grallon, at least for one day.

Is the clamor of your guilty conscience troubling you already? 

Tell me, is this how you raise your children?  Teaching them that shutting their eyes and averting their faces will make the monster go away?

The elephant is in the room BB - all of you should stop pretending it isn't!

* Glad to see you Money :)

G.

Well, we have at least one person cheering because of the attack.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 13, 2015, 08:33:44 PM
Hollande already showed up at the Bataclan and had a press conference to announce the state of emergency and other steps.
Two explosions were heard during the France-Germany football game by the audience at the Stade de France, and on TV as well it seems but nobody seems to have realised.
one of the player seemed to have heard it, but seeing that no one reacted, he kept playing.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 13, 2015, 10:16:38 PM
The next newscaster who calls the Eagles of Death Metal a heavy metal band will feel the full fury of my twins psychic powers.

I'm assuming they're actually a death metal band? :unsure:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ed Anger

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 13, 2015, 10:33:16 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 13, 2015, 10:16:38 PM

I'm assuming they're actually a death metal band? :unsure:

No.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: KRonn on November 13, 2015, 08:27:08 PM
Something like that, agreed. IMO the biggest push needs to come from Arab/Muslim governments, not the US/west. The west can help with supplies, equipment, etc. but Islam needs to take the lead in sorting this stuff out. If the west takes on much of it then it's seen as outsiders meddling and provides more impetus for radicals to take action.
on the other hand, most of them have no real incentive to act on their own.  AQ and ISIS are attacking us, mostly.  There's a few attacks over there, but I suspect they are of the same mentality as Assad: they can countain the threat by themselves and they have a bigger opponet: people calling for reforms.