Clinton's server had classified material beyond 'top secret'

Started by jimmy olsen, January 21, 2016, 08:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Clinton didn't do anything that every single one of my baby boomer bosses didn't also do.

The government IT guys aren't stupid about security because they're zealous dumbasses. They focus on some things and ignore others because so much of the stuff they have to adhere to is written in law. So they spend all of the time they have available making sure there aren't any law violations, and there's no time left to make sure the systems are actually safe. The laws are written so specifically.

Having your password on a post-it isn't illegal. But the stupidly long and complicated password requirement is. So duh. Of course it actually makes it more likely to be breached. I've found many passwords during audits that way. But it doesn't matter. Senator Meet The Press can say they made the password requirements super-strict. It will play well as a sound byte, and when the good Senator gets back to the office, he'll have his assistant write his password down on a post-it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 25, 2016, 05:32:31 PM
Clinton didn't do anything that every single one of my baby boomer bosses didn't also do.

Seriously?  Every single one of your baby boomer bosses maintained a private email server?

Alcibiades

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 25, 2016, 05:55:23 PM
Sup3rl#ngPassw0rd$suck@$$:(

Nice try, can't be a password you've used in the last 50 passwords.   :rolleyes:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

sbr

Quote from: Alcibiades on January 25, 2016, 03:54:52 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on January 25, 2016, 12:19:28 AM
Quote from: Berkut on January 25, 2016, 12:07:22 AMOf course. And that shows an incredible lack of judgement.

I don't think it shows an incredible lack of judgment. if she did it as a workaround, it shows that she's willing to bend the rules to get something done in a (perceived) easier way. people can disagree on whether this is OK, but I don't have a problem with it. last semester as a board member, I pulled an "act first, seek forgiveness later" because waiting for board approval would have taken too long. some people just have a personality where they want to get shit done. this controversy doesn't prove anything about hillary's behavior (edit: re being irresponsible or any similar alleged huge personality flaw) or what she will do as president, because frankly after all this mess... she's definitely learned her lesson and won't pull it again.

You dont understand though, in the intelligence community this is absolutely NOT OK.  Especially after Snowden, the level of caution and care with handling classified information of any type is indescribable.  I cannot stress how much this is hammered into EVERY individual that handles classified information and the consequences of your actions if you even make a mistake.

Didn't Clinton leave department of state before snowden's shenanigans?

I know both happened in 2013 but she left in February, didn't she?

Alcibiades

Quote from: sbr on January 25, 2016, 06:10:44 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 25, 2016, 12:07:22 AMOf course. And that shows an incredible lack of judgement.

I don't think it shows an incredible lack of judgment. if she did it as a workaround, it shows that she's willing to bend the rules to get something done in a (perceived) easier way. people can disagree on whether this is OK, but I don't have a problem with it. last semester as a board member, I pulled an "act first, seek forgiveness later" because waiting for board approval would have taken too long. some people just have a personality where they want to get shit done. this controversy doesn't prove anything about hillary's behavior (edit: re being irresponsible or any similar alleged huge personality flaw) or what she will do as president, because frankly after all this mess... she's definitely learned her lesson and won't pull it again.

You dont understand though, in the intelligence community this is absolutely NOT OK.  Especially after Snowden, the level of caution and care with handling classified information of any type is indescribable.  I cannot stress how much this is hammered into EVERY individual that handles classified information and the consequences of your actions if you even make a mistake.

Sorry - I meant Bradley Manning.  I can't use flash drives any more.  :weep:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 25, 2016, 06:00:52 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 25, 2016, 05:32:31 PM

Seriously?  Every single one of your baby boomer bosses maintained a private email server?

No. I maintained them. Obviously.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

lustindarkness

Quote from: Alcibiades on January 25, 2016, 06:01:07 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on January 25, 2016, 05:55:23 PM
Sup3rl#ngPassw0rd$suck@$$:(

Nice try, can't be a password you've used in the last 50 passwords.   :rolleyes:

Mot#3rF00k3rC2br0nmi3rd4M3c4g0en5uMadr3! :mad:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Brain

Quote from: Alcibiades on January 25, 2016, 06:22:34 PM
Quote from: sbr on January 25, 2016, 06:10:44 PM

Sorry - I meant Bradley Manning.

She thanks you for your microaggression.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

She.
She screams in silence.
A sullen riot penetrating through her mind.
Waiting for a sign
To smash the silence with the brick of self-control.

Are you locked up in a world
That's been planned out for you?
Are you feeling like a social tool without a use?
Scream at me until my ears bleed
I'm taking heed just for you
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

The phone NSA wanted Hillary to use

Now, I kinda understand her.
A modified Blackberry was good enough for the President, but not good enough for the Secretary of State.
The phone had a cost of 4 700$ + 30 000$ for the server infrastructure.

And Republicans are giving her shit because she spared the tax payers some expenses?  Oh my! ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

11B4V

Well, Republitards are all about cutting government spending.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Habbaku

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 29, 2016, 06:05:48 PM
She.
She screams in silence.
A sullen riot penetrating through her mind.
Waiting for a sign
To smash the silence with the brick of self-control.

Are you locked up in a world
That's been planned out for you?
Are you feeling like a social tool without a use?
Scream at me until my ears bleed
I'm taking heed just for you

She walked out with empty arms
Machine gun in her hand
She is good and she is bad
No one understands

She walked in in silence
Never spoke a word
She's got a rich daddy
She's her daddy's girl

She loves naked sin
He loves evil sex
She has lost control
They are growing old

She will hide in silence
Then her day will come
She was virgin vixen
She is on the run
She is on the run
She is on the run
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien