NUS tells LGBT societies to abolish gay men’s reps because ‘not oppressed'

Started by Martinus, March 23, 2016, 03:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on March 23, 2016, 06:41:02 PM
story is amazing  :lmfao:

Is it really though? Crazy groups do crazy things.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/566202/NUS-jazz-hands-clapping-anxiety-feminists
QuoteOrganisers at the National Union of Students Women's Conference made the request after some delegates reported feeling anxious during audience applause.

The NUS Women's Campaign tweeted from its official account: "Some delegates are requesting that we move to jazz hands rather than clapping, as it's triggering anxiety. Please be mindful!"

The original request was made by students from Oxford University.

Another delegate wrote online: "Can we not clap? Pretty anxious and its putting me on edge also distracting."

But clapping was not the only behaviour that caused problems for attendees at the Solihull event.

One claimed that MURMURING was "making things inaccessible", leading the NUS to issue an edict banning "chat" and "whooping".

Twitter users reacted with hilarity, with one posting: "You should just ban any outward expression of approval."

SE Students' Union women's officer Gee Linford-Grayson said: "Loud clapping and whooping can be intimidating and distracting when you're speaking on stage."

An NUS spokesperson said: "The request was made by some delegates attending the conference.

"We strive to make NUS events accessible and enjoyable for all, so each request is considered."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on March 23, 2016, 06:44:41 PMIs it really though? Crazy groups do crazy things.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/566202/NUS-jazz-hands-clapping-anxiety-feminists

:D what I like about marti's is that it involves an extremist part of a group trying to oust another subgroup

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 03:56:11 PM
QuoteNUS tells LGBT societies to abolish gay men's reps because 'they don't face oppression'

The National Union of Students' LGBT Campaign has passed a motion calling for the abolition of representatives for gay men – because they "don't face oppression" in the LGBT community.

The NUS LGBT+ Campaign discussed the issue at its annual conference, which took place in Sheffield this week.

At the event, delegates passed a motion that blames "cis gay men" for "misogyny, transphobia, racism and biphobia".

It says: "Misogyny, transphobia, racism and biphobia are often present in LGBT+ societies. This is unfortunately more likely to occur when the society is dominated by white cis gay men."

The motion continues to call on LGBT societies at universities – many of whom have dedicated reps for lesbians, trans people, bi people and gay men – to abolish the role for gay men.

It continues: "The reps system exists to ensure that societies committees can always have a reserved place for groups which disproportionately face oppression within the LGBT+ community.

"Gay men do not face oppression as gay men within the LGBT+ community and do not need a reserved place on society committees."

It goes on to "encourage LGBT+ Societies that have a gay men's rep to drop the position".

The motion was passed – despite other resolutions at the same conference highlighting that men who have sex with men are disproportionately at risk of HIV, and disproportionately at risk of violence.

The NUS has recently been drawn into a row with gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell, who helped organise a rally outside NUS HQ last week to protest their 'No Platform' policy. The NUS denies no-platforming Mr Tatchell.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/03/22/nus-tells-lgbt-societies-to-abolish-gay-mens-reps-because-they-dont-face-oppression/

:lol:

Very well then. Gay men can now shut the fuck up and quit crying.  :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on March 23, 2016, 08:37:06 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 23, 2016, 06:44:41 PMIs it really though? Crazy groups do crazy things.

:D what I like about marti's is that it involves an extremist part of a group trying to oust another subgroup

I just like how selfish he is.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

As support for chucking Marti out of the G, I'd note that those of us who fuck with men and are fucked by men have little common cause with those who just pay to play (or not play) twinkle toes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

The gays are divided...

Now is the time for conservatives to strike!
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tamas