NUS tells LGBT societies to abolish gay men’s reps because ‘not oppressed'

Started by Martinus, March 23, 2016, 03:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteNUS tells LGBT societies to abolish gay men's reps because 'they don't face oppression'

The National Union of Students' LGBT Campaign has passed a motion calling for the abolition of representatives for gay men – because they "don't face oppression" in the LGBT community.

The NUS LGBT+ Campaign discussed the issue at its annual conference, which took place in Sheffield this week.

At the event, delegates passed a motion that blames "cis gay men" for "misogyny, transphobia, racism and biphobia".

It says: "Misogyny, transphobia, racism and biphobia are often present in LGBT+ societies. This is unfortunately more likely to occur when the society is dominated by white cis gay men."

The motion continues to call on LGBT societies at universities – many of whom have dedicated reps for lesbians, trans people, bi people and gay men – to abolish the role for gay men.

It continues: "The reps system exists to ensure that societies committees can always have a reserved place for groups which disproportionately face oppression within the LGBT+ community.

"Gay men do not face oppression as gay men within the LGBT+ community and do not need a reserved place on society committees."

It goes on to "encourage LGBT+ Societies that have a gay men's rep to drop the position".

The motion was passed – despite other resolutions at the same conference highlighting that men who have sex with men are disproportionately at risk of HIV, and disproportionately at risk of violence.

The NUS has recently been drawn into a row with gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell, who helped organise a rally outside NUS HQ last week to protest their 'No Platform' policy. The NUS denies no-platforming Mr Tatchell.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/03/22/nus-tells-lgbt-societies-to-abolish-gay-mens-reps-because-they-dont-face-oppression/

:lol:

Grinning_Colossus

Shut up, you white cis-hom male shitlord! Laughing at the oppressed is a form of violence.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

The Brain

They may be hated in the LGBT community (the LGBT community seems to be fairly shrill and retarded in general), but oppressed?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on March 23, 2016, 04:23:28 PM
They may be hated in the LGBT community (the LGBT community seems to be fairly shrill and retarded in general), but oppressed?

Are bisexuals, lesbians and transexuals oppressed in the LGBT community? I thought that was supposed to be a safe space.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

If I ever get down about being a right-winger (what with having lost both provincial and federal elections, and with Trump hijacking the Republicans) I just have to look at what the loony left is doing and I feel much better. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 23, 2016, 04:25:23 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 23, 2016, 04:23:28 PM

Are bisexuals, lesbians and transexuals oppressed in the LGBT community? I thought that was supposed to be a safe space.

Yes.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

I have been saying for a long time we should just drop the L and the T (and possibly the B, but they can be cute), so this is just a push in the right direction we need.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on March 23, 2016, 04:26:54 PM
If I ever get down about being a right-winger (what with having lost both provincial and federal elections, and with Trump hijacking the Republicans) I just have to look at what the loony left is doing and I feel much better. :)

Hey, don't diss Trump. He made me consider conservatism. :P

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 04:36:28 PM
I have been saying for a long time we should just drop the L and the T (and possibly the B, but they can be cute), so this is just a push in the right direction we need.

Then do we get to chuck you?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 04:36:55 PM

What he's peddling isn't conservatism. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on March 23, 2016, 05:14:51 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 04:36:55 PM

It's baby steps, man.

Jacob

Valmy

So this is some kind of extremist British student group? I guess I don't get the context. I mean if they banning Gays then they would be LBT+ right? I know extreme left wing British groups love purging each other. That is how you get five Trotskyite parties.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on March 23, 2016, 05:33:08 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 23, 2016, 05:14:51 PM

... more like bombastic ill-informed narcissism.

Well there is a lot of that in American conservatism. The radio shock jocks took over in the 1990s.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."