Clinton's server had classified material beyond 'top secret'

Started by jimmy olsen, January 21, 2016, 08:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: garbon on January 21, 2016, 05:39:43 PM

Odd that MIM posted a reason just above you that isn't in your set of 3. Sure it has some element of 'rules don't apply' but it is more like 'I can bend the rules here' and therefore less haughty than you put it.

Yes, I'd say that MIM's explanation and my #3 are basically the same thing, just worded differently.

Berkut

Quote from: viper37 on January 21, 2016, 01:16:47 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 21, 2016, 12:23:02 PM
While I am pretty sure the right is exaggerating this, at the same time I am stunned that Clinton would think it was ok to use a personal computer to engage in any kind of State department business.
She's 68 years old.  Basically, the age of your moms/stepmoms.  How confortable are they with technology?  How would you rate their capacity to explain secure and unsecure on-line behavior?  The difference between various types of encryption?

Sorry, but that is complete bullshit.

My mom is not the secretary of state.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

LaCroix

i can see her age/experience with the internet affecting her decision, though. she probably didn't see it as a big deal.

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 21, 2016, 02:27:34 PM

A lapse in judgement is having one too many martinis and then backing the car into a light pole as you try to leave the parking lot. This was something that was purposely set up. A lot of thought went into it and it was done for a reason,  so she could control the communication records.

What sort of inhuman evil is supposed to be going on here?  We started out trying to prove that Hilary Clinton killed a US ambassador, and we are now down to some emails that were misfiled.  If all we have on Hilary is what emails were on what server then excuse me if I'm underwhelmed.  Especially after 20 years of accusations.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

i haven't read much into this controversy, but isn't it probable that she felt there was just too much red tape with the email system and so created a workaround?

Berkut

Quote from: LaCroix on January 24, 2016, 11:54:43 PM
i haven't read much into this controversy, but isn't it probable that she felt there was just too much red tape with the email system and so created a workaround?

Of course. And that shows an incredible lack of judgement.

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on January 24, 2016, 11:54:43 PM

I don't know what kind of red tape you're talking about.

I'm surprised no one has made a connection yet to that Clinton NSA dude who was caught stuffing papers into his underwear at the National Archives.

LaCroix

Quote from: Berkut on January 25, 2016, 12:07:22 AMOf course. And that shows an incredible lack of judgement.

I don't think it shows an incredible lack of judgment. if she did it as a workaround, it shows that she's willing to bend the rules to get something done in a (perceived) easier way. people can disagree on whether this is OK, but I don't have a problem with it. last semester as a board member, I pulled an "act first, seek forgiveness later" because waiting for board approval would have taken too long. some people just have a personality where they want to get shit done. this controversy doesn't prove anything about hillary's behavior (edit: re being irresponsible or any similar alleged huge personality flaw) or what she will do as president, because frankly after all this mess... she's definitely learned her lesson and won't pull it again.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 25, 2016, 12:12:10 AMI don't know what kind of red tape you're talking about.

I'm surprised no one has made a connection yet to that Clinton NSA dude who was caught stuffing papers into his underwear at the National Archives.

there's an image floating around that shows a series of email exchanges between clinton and another guy re: some fax or something. at the end, she says to fax it on regular paper. do you know what i'm talking about? I can find it if you haven't seen it

Jacob

Quote from: LaCroix on January 25, 2016, 12:19:28 AM
I don't think it shows an incredible lack of judgment. if she did it as a workaround, it shows that she's willing to bend the rules to get something done in a (perceived) easier way. people can disagree on whether this is OK, but I don't have a problem with it. last semester as a board member, I pulled an "act first, seek forgiveness later" because waiting for board approval would have taken too long. some people just have a personality where they want to get shit done. this controversy doesn't prove anything about hillary's behavior or what she will do as president, because frankly after all this mess... she's definitely learned her lesson and won't pull it again.

I think people who are seriously concerned about this are either 1) looking for support for their existing negative opinions on Clinton, 2) hard core "the rules must be followed at all times" types, or 3) have a strong IT background and thus consider IT policies very important.

Berkut

Quote from: LaCroix on January 25, 2016, 12:19:28 AM
Quote from: Berkut on January 25, 2016, 12:07:22 AMOf course. And that shows an incredible lack of judgement.

I don't think it shows an incredible lack of judgment. if she did it as a workaround, it shows that she's willing to bend the rules to get something done in a (perceived) easier way. people can disagree on whether this is OK, but I don't have a problem with it. last semester as a board member, I pulled an "act first, seek forgiveness later" because waiting for board approval would have taken too long. some people just have a personality where they want to get shit done. this controversy doesn't prove anything about hillary's behavior or what she will do as president, because frankly after all this mess... she's definitely learned her lesson and won't pull it again.

I am all for "just get it done", but that only works when the person willing to "just get it done" exercises reason and prudence.

She is the secretary of state, not the assistant manager at McDonalds telling the fry cook that he doesn't REALLY have to wait 46 seconds after the fries are out before he salts them - she is dealing with National security.

And she didn't say "Hey, we need to get some specific task done RIGHT NOW, so lets bend some rules for the moment..."

She decided, on her own, to circumvent national security policy because it was just too much of a hassle to follow it, and she did so on a permanent basis.

And people who make decisions like that NEVER "learn their lesson" except the lesson of trying a little harder not to get caught when they ignore the rules.

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on January 25, 2016, 12:20:47 AM
there's an image floating around that shows a series of email exchanges between clinton and another guy re: some fax or something. at the end, she says to fax it on regular paper. do you know what i'm talking about? I can find it if you haven't seen it

So by red tape you mean the security protocols for handling classified communications?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 25, 2016, 12:26:26 AM
So by red tape you mean the security protocols for handling classified communications?

It's my understanding that Clinton didn't violate any security protocols that were implemented at the time. Her private server was neither expressly permitted nor prohibited, but at a later time such servers were prohibited. Is that incorrect?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on January 25, 2016, 12:31:35 AM
It's my understanding that Clinton didn't violate any security protocols that were implemented at the time. Her private server was neither expressly permitted nor prohibited, but at a later time such servers were prohibited. Is that incorrect?

I don't know.

LaCroix

Quote from: Berkut on January 25, 2016, 12:23:31 AMI am all for "just get it done", but that only works when the person willing to "just get it done" exercises reason and prudence.

She is the secretary of state, not the assistant manager at McDonalds telling the fry cook that he doesn't REALLY have to wait 46 seconds after the fries are out before he salts them - she is dealing with National security.

disagree that an elderly (albeit experienced) woman would think sending the emails she sent would constitute a huge breach of national security. I suspect every president has risked national security in some way by doing something that wasn't strictly by the books. difference is (1) they weren't caught, or (2) for those who were caught, the political climate didn't turn it into a huge issue

QuoteAnd she didn't say "Hey, we need to get some specific task done RIGHT NOW, so lets bend some rules for the moment..."

She decided, on her own, to circumvent national security policy because it was just too much of a hassle to follow it, and she did so on a permanent basis.

And people who make decisions like that NEVER "learn their lesson" except the lesson of trying a little harder not to get caught when they ignore the rules.

well, yeah. someone with a personality type to not 100% follow the rules is going to make a decision, on his/her own, and do it on a permanent basis. these things happen. I've done it before, all this past year actually re: a specific task that I've felt was redundant and stupid.

no, people do learn their lessons. i.e., "shit, I guess that was a bigger deal than I thought. guess I'll be doing that in the future." to say the person NEVER learns his lesson is a pretty sweeping generalization.