Clinton's server had classified material beyond 'top secret'

Started by jimmy olsen, January 21, 2016, 08:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on January 21, 2016, 10:08:27 AM
The suicide of Vince Foster and Clinton's server problems are both real events, the significance of which have been exaggerated for partisan political purposes.

The issue with the Foster suicide wasn't that its significance was exaggerated.  It was the (insane) accusations that he was murdered by order of the Clintons who then covered it up. The politically relevant aspect of the suicide was a made-up conspiracy theory.

The politically relevant aspect of the Clinton server problem is simply that it existed at all.  There is no good explanation for it.  The "classified doc" angle may be an exaggeration but even without that aspect there is still a real problem.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on January 21, 2016, 10:20:22 AM
I'm suggesting that this particular article in the OP is such an exaggeration.

Then I'm confused as to why you felt the need to interject your comment into my request to Raz for clarification about his Vince Foster comment.

There's also the puzzling aspect of the Intelligence Inspector General's partisan agenda.

lustindarkness

Quote... though Clinton and State say none were marked classified at the time.

That will be her excuse? Really?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 21, 2016, 10:21:10 AM
Quote from: Malthus on January 21, 2016, 10:08:27 AM
The suicide of Vince Foster and Clinton's server problems are both real events, the significance of which have been exaggerated for partisan political purposes.

The issue with the Foster suicide wasn't that its significance was exaggerated.  It was the (insane) accusations that he was murdered by order of the Clintons who then covered it up. The politically relevant aspect of the suicide was a made-up conspiracy theory.

The politically relevant aspect of the Clinton server problem is simply that it existed at all.  There is no good explanation for it.  The "classified doc" angle may be an exaggeration but even without that aspect there is still a real problem.

It's a problem, but this particular article appears on the surface at least a bizarre exaggeration of it. If merely discussing drone strikes = "top secret", even when the info comes from the news, there is hardly a server in the US with foreign policy aware people using them that does not have "top secret" material on it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 21, 2016, 10:25:26 AM
Quote from: Malthus on January 21, 2016, 10:20:22 AM
I'm suggesting that this particular article in the OP is such an exaggeration.

Then I'm confused as to why you felt the need to interject your comment into my request to Raz for clarification about his Vince Foster comment.

I don't need an excuse to post stuff.  :huh:

QuoteThere's also the puzzling aspect of the Intelligence Inspector General's partisan agenda.

It is a puzzle indeed, given the strange nature of the claim made.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Minsky, what's your take on the whole server business?  I have to admit that I have completely ignored everything in the news about it, because there was 99%+ chance I would just run across content-free drivel.  One side will say that Clinton should be executed for treason, while another side will claim that all State Department employees for the last 100 years communicated via unsecured toy walkie-talkies.

The Minsky Moment

It's murky b/c my understanding is that State Dept policy permitted the use of private email accounts for work purposes, except where certain sensitive material was involved and the definition of what is sensitive or not isn't entirely clear.  But Clinton didn't just use a personal email every now and then for convenience; she used it as the primary method of communication.  That may not be against the letter of policy but it contravenes the spirit.  And more significantly, there is no good explanation of why she would do that.  It's hard to avoid the conclusion that it was done to maintain control over the communications record.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 21, 2016, 11:00:56 AM
It's murky b/c my understanding is that State Dept policy permitted the use of private email accounts for work purposes, except where certain sensitive material was involved and the definition of what is sensitive or not isn't entirely clear.  But Clinton didn't just use a personal email every now and then for convenience; she used it as the primary method of communication.  That may not be against the letter of policy but it contravenes the spirit.  And more significantly, there is no good explanation of why she would do that.  It's hard to avoid the conclusion that it was done to maintain control over the communications record.
Thanks!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on January 21, 2016, 10:31:02 AM

Most people assume that if a poster quotes another post it has some relevance to what he has to say.  If you don't want your quoting to be interpreted this way, that's fine.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 21, 2016, 11:12:46 AM

Most people assume that if a poster quotes another post it has some relevance to what he has to say.  If you don't want your quoting to be interpreted this way, that's fine.

You asked me what the relevance was and I answered. Apparently, I was not convincing to you.  :hmm:

lustindarkness

I'll quote whatever I want, hell, I'll throw in some randoms from other threads.  :blurgh:

Quote from: Liep on January 21, 2016, 07:16:34 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 21, 2016, 06:50:24 AM
Jurassic Park's main theme slowed 10x

https://soundcloud.com/birdfeeder/jurassic-park-theme-1000-slower

It's actually a pretty great ambient track.  :lol:

Very nice.

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 20, 2016, 06:48:29 PM
Pluto will always be the ninth planet to me! :angry:

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/new-ninth-planet-may-have-been-detected-scientists-say-n500396

;)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Zanza

Why would you send "top secret" or beyond information via e-mail anyway? E-mail isn't exactly the most secure means of communication...

alfred russel

What I don't understand is this...apparently other government officials have also used private email servers, so it isn't just Clinton. But how is that possible?

I don't deal with anything approaching top secret clearance, but if I decided to use a personal email address rather than a work email address, that would never fly. No one would agree to send me emails. It is just basic data security. One client I had back in the day prohibited any thumb drives from their facilities to keep data from leaving their network security.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on January 21, 2016, 11:29:07 AM
Why would you send "top secret" or beyond information via e-mail anyway? E-mail isn't exactly the most secure means of communication...

Because all sorts of mundane matters get classified as top secret and they need to function effectively? That is my guess.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 21, 2016, 11:24:08 AM

I'll quote whatever I want, hell, I'll throw in some randoms from other threads.  :blurgh:

Quote from: Liep on January 21, 2016, 07:16:34 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 21, 2016, 06:50:24 AM
Jurassic Park's main theme slowed 10x

https://soundcloud.com/birdfeeder/jurassic-park-theme-1000-slower

It's actually a pretty great ambient track.  :lol:

Very nice.

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 20, 2016, 06:48:29 PM
Pluto will always be the ninth planet to me! :angry:

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/new-ninth-planet-may-have-been-detected-scientists-say-n500396

;)

:D :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.