News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shootings and explosions in Paris

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2015, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: LaCroix on March 23, 2016, 11:40:54 AM
re "perhaps," aren't long-term refugee camps well known for breeding terrorism?

European housing projects for refugees seem to breed terrorism as well.  Maybe it's better to keep them at arm's length.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 06:17:24 AM
Mr. Trump on Syrian refugees:

Quote"What should happen is the United States and a bunch of other countries should get together—funded by the Gulf States, because they have tremendous amounts of money—and we should build a safe zone," Trump said. "It should be in Syria. Or a number of safe zones, in different parts of Syria, where you build until the war ends and they can go back—if they want to—they can go back to where they want to be. But, absolutely, we should not be taking undocumented people into this country."

If you sift through his usual "flowery prose" this is actually a decent policy - but I guess Jacob will be worried America starts alienating its Gulf state allies like that, by expecting them to pull their weight...
it's the policy proposed by Turkey, establish a city or cities in northern Syria and enforce a no fly zone.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on March 23, 2016, 12:18:46 PM
it's the policy proposed by Turkey, establish a city or cities in northern Syria and enforce a no fly zone.

Should have done it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: derspiess on March 23, 2016, 12:14:13 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on March 23, 2016, 11:40:54 AM
re "perhaps," aren't long-term refugee camps well known for breeding terrorism?

European housing projects for refugees seem to breed terrorism as well.  Maybe it's better to keep them at arm's length.

islamic states breed terrorism as well. better have none of those either...

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2016, 11:58:48 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on March 23, 2016, 11:52:46 AM
how are they failing miserably?

Because being a refugee is so great? Because no refugee crisis has ever happened in recent history? Because the allocation of refugees and standards and procedures for their care is completely haphazard and non-existent? Because they should not all be in Greece and Turkey if a rational procedure is in place?

Quoteyou know the taliban originated in long-term refugee camps set up/cared for by the UN.

Wait you just said that they are not failing miserably? Huh.

QuoteI assume those camps had "substantial resources of the entire international community"

You would assume wrong. The international community has failed to recognize what an important security and stability issue this is.

In any case in some cases it might be logical to maintain long-term camps, in others it might not. Maybe some of the refugees are anticipating returning to their nation shortly and do not want to be evacuated to Sri Lanka or wherever.

I think without a firm conclusion in sight to a regional conflict, refugees should be dispersed as quickly as possible into stable long-term environments (which, sad for the euros, is Europe) to prevent them from getting infected by extremists. I don't think it's a good idea to have long-term refugee camps for people (cultures) who have an extremist group running around. (so, imo jaron's people could do well in camps) this lowers the terrorist conversion rate and thus increases overall safety. even if some of the bad ones end up doing something bad in the communities they're sent to, (which, statistically, is just gonna happen) it's for a greater good

LaCroix

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on March 23, 2016, 02:10:13 PMislamic states breed terrorism as well. better have none of those either...

I think terrorists organizations should be annihilated and the people who fund those organizations imprisoned (I'm not aware of any evidence that the saudi nation itself funds terrorism, just rich assholes), so yeah if that's what you mean... that would absolutely cut down/eliminate terrorist conversion

Quote from: derspiessEuropean housing projects for refugees seem to breed terrorism as well.  Maybe it's better to keep them at arm's length.

I mean, if euro housing projects have like 50,000 people in them, yeah, agree