Started by Barrister, November 13, 2015, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2016, 07:05:10 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2016, 06:53:42 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2016, 03:22:29 PM
Quote from: dps on March 22, 2016, 03:18:56 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 22, 2016, 03:06:47 PM

What *I* "want" is my country to be the kind of country that is willing and courageous enough to take in those who have nowhere else to go

I'll agree here;  the attitude of "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses" is what built this country.

It sure did and we're all better for it.  Time and a place for everything, though.  Time to move on.

When is the cut off date?

How about 1945.

I knew you were going to go for the end of WWII.

Razgovory

What *I* "want" is my country to be the kind of country that is willing and courageous enough to take in those who have nowhere else to go

I'll agree here;  the attitude of "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses" is what built this country.

It sure did and we're all better for it.  Time and a place for everything, though.  Time to move on.

How about 1945.

Kind of tough on your wife, isn't it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: dps on March 22, 2016, 07:13:12 PM

How about 1945.

I knew you were going to go for the end of WWII.

wasn't the Geneva Convention expanded/amended after WW2 in regards to refugees?

Martinus

Mr. Trump on Syrian refugees:

Quote"What should happen is the United States and a bunch of other countries should get together—funded by the Gulf States, because they have tremendous amounts of money—and we should build a safe zone," Trump said. "It should be in Syria. Or a number of safe zones, in different parts of Syria, where you build until the war ends and they can go back—if they want to—they can go back to where they want to be. But, absolutely, we should not be taking undocumented people into this country."

If you sift through his usual "flowery prose" this is actually a decent policy - but I guess Jacob will be worried America starts alienating its Gulf state allies like that, by expecting them to pull their weight...

Martinus

Also we need a "Immigration and Terrorism (aka Islam) Megathread" and combine at least 3 active threads.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 06:17:24 AM

Quote"What should happen is the United States and a bunch of other countries should get together—funded by the Gulf States, because they have tremendous amounts of money—and we should build a safe zone," Trump said. "It should be in Syria. Or a number of safe zones, in different parts of Syria, where you build until the war ends and they can go back—if they want to—they can go back to where they want to be. But, absolutely, we should not be taking undocumented people into this country."

If you sift through his usual "flowery prose" this is actually a decent policy - but I guess Jacob will be worried America starts alienating its Gulf state allies like that, by expecting them to pull their weight...

Fucking safe zones??!? And trigger warnings?? :bleeding:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Actually this is what I have wanted for a long time. Well if Trump wins I hope he at least advances this strategy in dealing with these kinds of crises.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2016, 11:12:02 AMActually this is what I have wanted for a long time. Well if Trump wins I hope he at least advances this strategy in dealing with these kinds of crises.

what does a safe zone look like? a long-term refugee camp, or?

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on March 23, 2016, 11:21:53 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2016, 11:12:02 AMActually this is what I have wanted for a long time. Well if Trump wins I hope he at least advances this strategy in dealing with these kinds of crises.

what does a safe zone look like? a long-term refugee camp, or?

Perhaps. I think it is more likely to be a staging area for dispersing the refugees around the world. The main point is to give them someplace to go where resources are available to care for them and security can be established.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2016, 09:06:58 PM
Kind of tough on your wife, isn't it?

No.  I knew you'd go there, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Well that's kind of what the world is doing now - except the "safe zones" are in Turkey and Lebanon.  And the EU, for one, is paying billions of dollars to do so.

To create "safe zones" inside Syria however... just how do you propose to do that?  Just declaring a "no fly zone" isn't going to do the trick.  You're either going to need to partner with a local faction - likely Assad - or you're going to need your own boots on the ground.  Which is exactly the thing Trump has been promising not to do.

This is precisely the kind of off the cuff policy announcement we've come to expect from Trump.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2016, 11:23:42 AMPerhaps. I think it is more likely to be a staging area for dispersing the refugees around the world. The main point is to give them someplace to go where resources are available to care for them and security can be established.

as barrister said, don't we already have staging areas?

re "perhaps," aren't long-term refugee camps well known for breeding terrorism?

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on March 23, 2016, 11:40:54 AM
as barrister said, don't we already have staging areas?

If we did they are failing miserably. And they are not being protected by the United States military.

Quotere "perhaps," aren't long-term refugee camps well known for breeding terrorism?

Doubtful when they have the substantial resources of the entire international community behind them. Usually they are poorly run because they are thrust upon the shoulders of whatever poor assholes happen to border the crisis zone, rather than an organized deployment of resources from the international community with the objective of containment and limitation of the crisis.

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2016, 11:45:13 AMIf we did they are failing miserably.

Doubtful when they have the substantial resources of the entire international community behind them.

how are they failing miserably?

you know the taliban originated in long-term refugee camps set up/cared for by the UN. I assume those camps had "substantial resources of the entire international community"

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on March 23, 2016, 11:52:46 AM
how are they failing miserably?

Because being a refugee is so great? Because no refugee crisis has ever happened in recent history? Because the allocation of refugees and standards and procedures for their care is completely haphazard and non-existent? Because they should not all be in Greece and Turkey if a rational procedure is in place?

Quoteyou know the taliban originated in long-term refugee camps set up/cared for by the UN.

Wait you just said that they are not failing miserably? Huh.

QuoteI assume those camps had "substantial resources of the entire international community"

You would assume wrong. The international community has failed to recognize what an important security and stability issue this is.

In any case in some cases it might be logical to maintain long-term camps, in others it might not. Maybe some of the refugees are anticipating returning to their nation shortly and do not want to be evacuated to Sri Lanka or wherever.