News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shootings and explosions in Paris

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2015, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2016, 09:05:54 PM
I think I made my case pretty well.  That people like Yi (Americans of East-Asian descent) could be prevented from entering this country even if they were natural born citizens. At the very least it is is not, "transparently false".

You haven't. It is apples and oranges.

In the case you cited, he was denied entry because he was born to non citizen parents and determined to not be a citizen. The court case you cited ruled otherwise--because he was born in the US he was a citizen.

In the case of Yi, the question is whether a half white son of an american citizen born overseas would always be considered US citizen. That is not addressed by the case you cite. Assuming Yi's parents were married, I suspect Yi is correct, just because Americans have always traveled overseas, and my understanding is that parents of American fathers got citizenship as a general rule (in a practical sense, if not this could be a huge hardship for people on overseas assignments in the diplomatic service, military, or business). I doubt race would be put as a factor in the laws, just out of expediency and the cases would likely be rare.

The secondary point is whether Yi would be recognized as a US citizen at the border. The case you cite does not address this, and in fact probably lends weight to Yi's side, as the person was recognized for what he was, the question was whether that entitled him to US citizenship.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on March 21, 2016, 09:11:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2016, 09:05:54 PM
I think I made my case pretty well.  That people like Yi (Americans of East-Asian descent) could be prevented from entering this country even if they were natural born citizens. At the very least it is is not, "transparently false".

You reached back into the ancient past to discuss a law specifically designed to oppose the Chinese in California. Yi is neither Chinese nor does he live in California.

There really wasn't any much Korean immigration prior to the Korean war to this country.  I never distinguished between different East Asian countries.  I doubt American clerks at ports of entry in the 19th century would have either.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2016, 09:17:01 PM
Pearl Buck was white. 

Your claim that my statement is a falsehood rests their being a legal difference between Jus soli and Jus sanguinis entering the US and that being  Jus sanguinis has priority.  My first statement was that people like you (Asian-Americans) were not into this country.  When you countered with that you had American citizenship due to birth, I counter that people with American citizenship could still be barred with entry, and provided a court case where this had happened.  Presumably you are going to narrow it down to people born with your name in the later half of the 20th century.

My claim that your statement is a falsehood rests on empirical evidence.  I know of US citizens born in Asia who were not denied entry into the US.

You did not provide a court case about an American citizen being denied entry, as I already pointed out.  US law at the time denied naturalization to Asians with non-US citizen parents born in the US.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2016, 09:25:12 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2016, 09:17:01 PM
Pearl Buck was white. 

Your claim that my statement is a falsehood rests their being a legal difference between Jus soli and Jus sanguinis entering the US and that being  Jus sanguinis has priority.  My first statement was that people like you (Asian-Americans) were not into this country.  When you countered with that you had American citizenship due to birth, I counter that people with American citizenship could still be barred with entry, and provided a court case where this had happened.  Presumably you are going to narrow it down to people born with your name in the later half of the 20th century.

My claim that your statement is a falsehood rests on empirical evidence.  I know of US citizens born in Asia who were not denied entry into the US.

You did not provide a court case about an American citizen being denied entry, as I already pointed out.  US law at the time denied naturalization to Asians with non-US citizen parents born in the US.

Wait a second, individual in the case was not a naturalized citizen, he was natural born.  He was recognized as a citizen the first time he returned the US, but not on his second visit.  He was a natural born citizen by the 14th amendment.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Trying to lead me down a rabbit hole of irrelevance will not change the fact that you posted a falsehood and don't care.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2016, 09:43:18 PM
Trying to lead me down a rabbit hole of irrelevance will not change the fact that you posted a falsehood and don't care.

What false hood did I post?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2016, 09:45:10 PM

There was a time when US citizens born overseas were not allowed in?

Yeah, if they came in from Asia.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2016, 09:50:35 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2016, 09:45:10 PM

There was a time when US citizens born overseas were not allowed in?

Yeah, if they came in from Asia.

Okay, I will concede that I can find no case where an American citizen born in East Asia were specifically excluded though I could find attempts to exclude other natural born American citizens.  I had heard about the Wong Kim case on the radio once and believed that it was sufficient to encompass all natural born citizens for the sake of these type of arguments not just ones born in the US.  I'm sorry if you thought I was trying to spread "falsehoods".

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2016, 09:07:31 PM
There have been American missionaries in Asia since forever.  Pearl Buck was born in China, and it doesn't seem she had any trouble returning to the US in 1935.  There were missionary families in Korea in the 19th century, and none of their children had any difficulty entering the country.

That answers my question, thanks :)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2016, 10:11:28 PM
Okay, I will concede that I can find no case where an American citizen born in East Asia were specifically excluded though I could find attempts to exclude other natural born American citizens.  I had heard about the Wong Kim case on the radio once and believed that it was sufficient to encompass all natural born citizens for the sake of these type of arguments not just ones born in the US.  I'm sorry if you thought I was trying to spread "falsehoods".

This statement has not changed my opinion.

Razgovory

Okay, is there something else you want me to walk back?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2016, 10:25:45 PM

I don't want you to "walk back" anything.  I want to see some indication that you give a shit about posting things that are not true.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2016, 10:37:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2016, 10:25:45 PM

I don't want you to "walk back" anything.  I want to see some indication that you give a shit about posting things that are not true.

I thought it was true.  In fact, I still think it's true, I just can't find a specific example.

Archy

two explosions at the passenger side of Brussels Airport. I work at the freight side.
This is unfolding yet. Apparently explosion at American Airlines desk.
I don't suspect this is a gas leak :(

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.