Shootings and explosions in Paris

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2015, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on March 21, 2016, 11:31:39 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2016, 11:27:19 AM
Quote from: Berkut on March 21, 2016, 11:07:28 AM
Quote from: Berkut on March 21, 2016, 11:05:41 AM
The ultra-left's bizarre and seemingly automatic siding with the underdog, regardless of how odious said underdog might be, is a rather odd thing.

Just to be clear - I am NOT siding with Marty's stance here. I don't think closing borders is practical or useful.

Since when this is my stance?  :huh:

My stance is:

1. Being concerned about Muslim immigration does not mean you are a racist.
2. There is a problem with Muslim immigration and until we recognise there is a problem, we will not be able to come up with an appropriate solution.
3. Also, until we recognise there is a problem, we will be pushing more and more people into the hands of right wing populists.

If you're concerned about Muslim immigration separately and apart from immigration of other peoples and religions, it kind of does mean you're a bit racist.  You're specifically judging immigrants based on their ethnic background or religious belief. :mellow:

Islam is not a race.  :rolleyes: In fact, most right wingers in Europe are perfectly happy to accept Syrian refugees, as long as they are Christian.

Martinus

Anyway, Berkut, see? It's racist to judge people based on their religious belief. I rest my case.

Razgovory

If you're concerned about Muslim immigration separately and apart from immigration of other peoples and religions, it kind of does mean you're a bit racist.  You're specifically judging immigrants based on their ethnic background or religious belief. :mellow:

Well, Marty has suggested that everyone is a at least a little bit racist, which I suppose means he knows he's a little bit racist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Raz is racist against Republicans.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2016, 11:35:06 AM
The ultra-left's bizarre and seemingly automatic siding with the underdog, regardless of how odious said underdog might be, is a rather odd thing.

Just to be clear - I am NOT siding with Marty's stance here. I don't think closing borders is practical or useful.

My stance is:

2. There is a problem with Muslim immigration and until we recognise there is a problem, we will not be able to come up with an appropriate solution.
3. Also, until we recognise there is a problem, we will be pushing more and more people into the hands of right wing populists.

Islam is not a race.  :rolleyes: In fact, most right wingers in Europe are perfectly happy to accept Syrian refugees, as long as they are Christian.

What about you - are you "perfectly happy to accept Syrian refugees, as long as they are Christian"?

Even if you are, saying "discriminating based on ethnic group is wrong, but discriminating based on religion is A-OK" is strongly out of line with how most people view tolerance and human rights.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Raz is racist regarding Republicans?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Capetan Mihali

I wish I could convert to Islam, but I don't have the facial hair to do it properly. :(
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Valmy

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 21, 2016, 12:08:50 PM
I wish I could convert to Islam, but I don't have the facial hair to do it properly. :(

The Mormons will still take you :console:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Beeb, let's agree to (strongly) disagree. I really have no wish rehashing this old argument again.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on March 21, 2016, 12:07:48 PM

I think Sarah Palin said something like that once.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2016, 12:24:20 PM
Beeb, let's agree to (strongly) disagree. I really have no wish rehashing this old argument again.

Fair enough. :hug:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2016, 12:24:32 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 21, 2016, 12:07:48 PM

I think Sarah Palin said something like that once.

She knows you well.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

My stance is:

If you're concerned about Muslim immigration separately and apart from immigration of other peoples and religions, it kind of does mean you're a bit racist. 

That is just bullshit.

The fact is that different groups with different cultures and belief systems present different issues in a variety of ways.

Recognizing that there are differences between some Indian engineer immigrating and some Islamic refugee fleeing and structuring the processes and policies accordingly is not "racist". It is recognizing a fact that matters.

Pretending like two things that are not the same are the same because you are terrified of being called a racist is what is fucked up about this kind of supposed liberalism.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on March 21, 2016, 02:51:24 PM

My stance is:

If you're concerned about Muslim immigration separately and apart from immigration of other peoples and religions, it kind of does mean you're a bit racist. 

That is just bullshit.

The fact is that different groups with different cultures and belief systems present different issues in a variety of ways.

Recognizing that there are differences between some Indian engineer immigrating and some Islamic refugee fleeing and structuring the processes and policies accordingly is not "racist". It is recognizing a fact that matters.

Pretending like two things that are not the same are the same because you are terrified of being called a racist is what is fucked up about this kind of supposed liberalism.

There are two very different things in your situation.

First, you have a skilled engineer lawfully immigrating, and you're comparing it to a refugee (who is not specified as being skilled, so presumably isn't).  Of course the two matters are completely different!  Their ability to integrate and obtain employment, the level of dysfunction that having lived through a civil war may cause... there are hundreds if not thousands of ways those people should be treated differently.

But if you say that someone fleeing civil war in, say, Eastern Ukraine, should be treated differently from someone fleeing civil war in Syria, I'm going to say yeah, that kind of sounds racist.