News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

United Slang of America Map

Started by jimmy olsen, September 15, 2015, 12:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Last time I was back in southern New England a glawackus stole a wicked awesome cabinet that I got from the corner ice cream shop. :(

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/culturebox/2015/09/united_slang_of_america_map_if_every_state_had_an_official_word_what_would.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

In before garbon bitches about Slate.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Lettow77

While might could and especially tump have currency in Tennessee, i've never heard anyone use whirlygust.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 15, 2015, 12:27:45 AM
In before garbon bitches about Slate.

Sad how much effort supposedly went into creating that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

It actually was pretty flawed. Never heard of the words for Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, etc.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 15, 2015, 01:22:22 AM
It actually was pretty flawed. Never heard of the words for Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, etc.

Yeah, I mean they took all those steps to then come up with something that's not even accurate and seemingly pointless.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Lettow77

You'd never heard of Cattywampus? I thought it had some reasonably high-profile use. Anyway, its a comfy word and very ideologically sound. There are efforts underway to rehabilitate the connotation of Cattywampus to something more positive that recognizes its yukkuri nature.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Eddie Teach

It sounds like a word invented by a children's writer.

garbon

Quote from: Lettow77 on September 15, 2015, 01:58:16 AM
You'd never heard of Cattywampus? I thought it had some reasonably high-profile use. Anyway, its a comfy word and very ideologically sound. There are efforts underway to rehabilitate the connotation of Cattywampus to something more positive that recognizes its yukkuri nature.

I've heard that in movies when they want to make a character sound stereotypically southern.

I wonder for California if they picked hella as that's one piece of slang local to part of California that is still recognizably a 'California' thing.

dps

I've never heard the ones for Kentucky or North Carolina, and I've lived in those states.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on September 15, 2015, 04:53:52 AM

I've never heard the ones for Kentucky or North Carolina, and I've lived in those states.
I've definitely heard Cackalacky and I only spent a few months in N.C.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Missouri's slang word is "Missouri"?  Who wrote this? 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

DGuller

I feel really bad for people writing that shit.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on September 15, 2015, 08:08:17 AM
I feel really bad for people writing that shit.

Those forced to write click-bait content, it's the new model for journalism; apparently some companies are moving to paying them proportional to the number of hits.

Then again the article worked as it's being discussed/link to, here on Languish and no doubt half a hundred other social forums.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"