Caliga

Kentucky - chughole... never heard it used
Pennsylvania - yinz... this is a Pittsburgh thing, not state-wide
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on September 15, 2015, 08:21:19 AM
Kentucky - chughole... never heard it used
Pennsylvania - yinz... this is a Pittsburgh thing, not state-wide

Can you explain what the map is about, as I can't open the page in the browser I'm having to use at the moment?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

I guess I have heard 'hoss' a few times. Never really thought it was a characteristic word of Texas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on September 15, 2015, 08:08:17 AM
I feel really bad for people writing that shit.

These kinds of articles are the worst.

10 reasons I hate click-bait. You won't believe number 3!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: mongers on September 15, 2015, 08:15:14 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 15, 2015, 08:08:17 AM
I feel really bad for people writing that shit.

Those forced to write click-bait content, it's the new model for journalism; apparently some companies are moving to paying them proportional to the number of hits.

Then again the article worked as it's being discussed/link to, here on Languish and no doubt half a hundred other social forums.

I just used it as a starting off point to look up more California slang to teach my direct reports. :goodboy:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Let's see of the ones I know:

Alaska: sourdough.  This is definitely a Yukon term that goes back to the gold rush.  I think I heard it used non-ironically once or twice.  The more popular term was the opposite of a sourdough though: a cheechako (newcomer).  Supposedly you went from being a cheechako to being a sourdough after spending a winter in the north.

North Dakota: hot dish.  Never heard this.

Minnesota: Uff da.  Does this really count?  It's a scandi, or at least norwegian thing.  Hell it made it's way onto Languish :uffda:  My wife, who is part Norwegian, uses it from time to time.

Wisconsin: TYME Machine.  Again, does this really count?  I remember encountering the term in Wisconsin, but it's not so much slang as the actual corporate name for an ATM in Wisconsin.  Google says it stands for Take Your Money Everywhere.

Michigan: Yooper.  I mean, I guess.  It comes from Upper Penninsula, UP.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

For Hawaii they should have used haole and its variant happa haole.

Never heard of Kybo before, but that doesn't surprise me.  Iowa is the quintessential non-dialect state.

Only linguistic quirk I've ever heard here is "at all," as in "would you like a bag for those at all?"

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on September 15, 2015, 01:10:41 PM
Michigan: Yooper.  I mean, I guess.  It comes from Upper Penninsula, UP.

People who live in the lower peninsula are called "Trolls" (by Yoopers) because they live below the (Mackinac) bridge. :Canuck:

The few trolls who moved to da Yoops are called "Troopers." :Canuck:

I've never heard "Toad Strangler"in all the time I've lived here in Florida.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

MadBurgerMaker

Hoss?   I think the only time I've ever heard that used, and it hasn't happened often, it has been sarcastically and meant something more like "toughguy," not "partner" or "friend."

"I'm gonna kick that guy's ass!"
"Yeah okay, you go do that, hoss."

Or something.

KRonn

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on September 15, 2015, 01:10:41 PM
North Dakota: hot dish.  Never heard this.
It's a type of casserole, usually made with cheese, tater tots, and various types of 'cream of' soups (e.g. cream of mushroom, cream of chicken).  Sometimes people use that term here as casseroles are big for church dinners and shit like that.

Tonitrus

As a long-time Washingtonian...I have never heard the term "jumble sale".

Caliga

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 15, 2015, 02:41:31 PM
As a long-time Washingtonian...I have never heard the term "jumble sale".
Maybe it's from a specific part of the state and the person who wrote the article didn't know that, or didn't bother to mention it.  That's the case with the 'yinz' thing for Pennsylvania.

Tonitrus

Can't we just all agree to criticize stupid maps like these?  :P

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive