News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

United Slang of America Map

Started by jimmy olsen, September 15, 2015, 12:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on September 15, 2015, 01:19:38 PM
I've never heard "Toad Strangler"in all the time I've lived here in Florida.

It being Florida, I'd assume that term involves a perversion so unpleasant we'd be better off not knowing its definition.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Someone should make an equivalent map for British slang; though I'm not sure what the specific regional words/slang in the USA were about.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on September 17, 2015, 03:50:19 PM

It being Florida, I'd assume that term involves a perversion so unpleasant we'd be better off not knowing its definition.  :P

It means heavy rain. Stop projecting your Ontarian perversions onto others.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

I grew up in Florida. I'm 6th generation Floridian. My family moved to Florida in 1820, 25 years before it became a state. I'm the most Floridian person I've ever met.* And I've never heard the word "Toad Strangler" either.

*Ignoring that I haven't lived in the state in over 10 years. And that Florida today is much more associated with descendants of northern or latin american transplants. Also not including any Seminole Indians I've met (and I mean the real Seminole Indians, not the racist assholes in Tallahassee).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 17, 2015, 09:42:10 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 17, 2015, 03:50:19 PM

It means heavy rain. Stop projecting your Ontarian perversions onto others.  :P

Hey, half the Ontarian dirty old perverts now live in ... Florida.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius