F-bomb insult on speeding ticket is free speech, judge rules

Started by jimmy olsen, September 17, 2015, 01:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on September 17, 2015, 07:09:25 AM
Nah.  The clerk's an administrative employee of the judiciary, who just takes payment of fines and does other work at the courthouse.  It's likeliest that the traffic officer himself or herself would've represented the State in the original proceeding.

Really?  This little town had its own judiciary?  Because the story mentions that the complainants were town clerks.  County clerks are often elected (they are here) and also not employees of the judiciary.  I am sure that the court has clerks, but they'd not be involved in law enforcement, just administration of justice.

I could be wrong, though; we could ask a lawyer.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ideologue

Hey, Valmy, remember what I said about Languish being a cesspool of negativity?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

It's an important issue of our time.  You can certainly see why it would make him angry enough to intercede in a conversation that didn't include him to throw a cheap shot my way.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien