Main Menu

Languish Napoleonic Wars Thread

Started by Berkut, March 16, 2009, 01:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

QuoteFrance: Die roll request

Request: 6-sided die x 4

Message from France:
Danish naval roll, no evasion this time.

:P  One Russki down in addition to the Swedes.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Viking

Quote from: Habbaku on May 05, 2009, 08:37:24 PM
QuoteFrance: Die roll request

Request: 6-sided die x 4

Message from France:
Danish naval roll, no evasion this time.

:P  One Russki down in addition to the Swedes.

Fair enough.  But I'm pretty sure that 6 out of 10 times 5 dice beat 4 :(

Edit: it should be pretty obvious right now that I didn't actually look at the russian idce before calling for a re-roll. Lets move on.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on May 05, 2009, 08:29:27 PM
Quote from: Viking on May 05, 2009, 08:26:24 PM
But lets continue anyway. It was for Berkut's benefit that I sent the fleet out to begin with.

If you disagree with the evasion, then I am more than happy to re-roll my dice on the battle (IE, 4 instead of 5)
I think that I would object to this, since you admitted that you would have rolled one die less at the Battle of Picardi but decided not to because your rolls were so good.

You cannot always reset the dice.  Just play as if the rules were as assumed when the play is made.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

Quote from: grumbler on May 05, 2009, 08:45:26 PM
I think that I would object to this, since you admitted that you would have rolled one die less at the Battle of Picardi but decided not to because your rolls were so good.

You cannot always reset the dice.  Just play as if the rules were as assumed when the play is made.

When did I do anything of the sort?  My rolls at Picardy were crap (2 kills/9 dice).  I even offered to re-roll them at the time it happened and you declined.  There was no situation where I would've rolled fewer dice during that battle either--an evasion grants the attacker extra dice if it fails; it does not take away from the defender's.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

That being said, if grumbler takes issue with the re-roll, I am fine truncating it and keeping the old results.  Berkut's input would be nice, but we should go ahead and establish a consensus for this situation if it creeps again.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Meh, I said to evade simply because there was no reason to fight - the point of the fleet being there was to stop the Danes from getting up to any shenanigans - which it does as long as it is not defeated. Why get into a fight you might lose?

Anyway...it is Vikings decision since he was the Grand Admiral. But we typically much too impatient to wait around for answers. IMO, if the roles were reversed, I might grumble about the choice my ally made, but I would let it stand.

As far as re-rolling dice, I dunno. Habs gave him the choice, he took it, he lost. Shrug.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Wellington got bored chasing the Irish around, so he went and took Brest instead.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

France will pre-empt to crown a new Swedish (French) king.  Naturally, the Swedes elect one of the most loyal of all of Napoleon's marshals!

QuoteFrance: France: Play Strategy card as Event

#52: 5 / Crown Prince Bernadotte

Message from France:
Replace Gustavus with a Swedish Unit and Bernadotte or place them in Stockholm if Gustavus is not in play. Sweden is Unaligned. A Neutral playing this card on Turn 3 or later must play it as an event.

Pre-empt to nuke Sweden.

No implementation until Sweden comes around is best since someone may have Age of Metternich.

Austria's up.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

I moved Spain to Pact using my Reserve and a second card.

Russia is up.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

Quote from: Viking on May 06, 2009, 02:50:32 AM
Does my Baltic fleet regroup?

No, it stays put but no longer gets the shore defense guns if I were to attack the port.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Actually, I'm going to preempt again.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

QuoteFrance: France: Play Strategy card as Operations

#17: 4 / The Weather Gauge

Message from France:
Preempting Russia to play this for CPs:

1/4 - Davout and 6 CUs to Rome.
2/4 - Flag Abruzzi.
3/4 - Davout and co. to Tuscany.
4/4 - Same to Genoa.

File coming shortly.  Russia's up.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on May 05, 2009, 08:48:32 PM
When did I do anything of the sort?  My rolls at Picardy were crap (2 kills/9 dice).  I even offered to re-roll them at the time it happened and you declined.  There was no situation where I would've rolled fewer dice during that battle either--an evasion grants the attacker extra dice if it fails; it does not take away from the defender's.
I withdraw my comment.  The past is the past.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Delirium

The past is the past, and Habbaku did roll the correct number of dice, hence did not re-roll them second time around. He done good.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan