News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Napoleonic Wars Thread

Started by Berkut, March 16, 2009, 01:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Apparently the Turks have the abdication card, then?  Good to know.

Sweden's not up as they are neutral per my earlier play--and need to be set as much on ACTS by Berkut.  Spain is actually up to play, since Del controls them.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

I'd like to play the Spanish Reserve. In my way of thinking, success is automatic, since there are no Enemy Forces in Iberia. On the other hand Spain is not at war so may not be allowed to use the card that way, I couldn't find this in the rules. Awaiting opinions.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Habbaku

I believe you're correct.  Since Spain is not at war, they have no enemies (conveniently, enemy is not defined in the rules  :rolleyes: ) so the play is automatically successful.

The card says nothing about being at war being a requirement to play it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

You going to play a card for the Swedes?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

No, I was thinking that even though I control the next nation after Sweden (Denmark) that I'd wait for someone else to play the neutrals.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on May 08, 2009, 11:44:45 AM
No, I was thinking that even though I control the next nation after Sweden (Denmark) that I'd wait for someone else to play the neutrals.

No reason to be a smart ass. I was just asking.

Ok, so there is a reason. But it isn't a good reason. Or rather, it is as good a reason as ever on Languish, which to be honest, really isn't all that good.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

:unsure:  Being privy to that reason would be good to know, since as soon as Del's Spanish play is finished I'm going to zip through the Swedish/Danish/French plays.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on May 08, 2009, 11:54:42 AM
:unsure:  Being privy to that reason would be good to know, since as soon as Del's Spanish play is finished I'm going to zip through the Swedish/Danish/French plays.

It's Languish, and any chance to be a smart ass is pretty much required.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

I think I misinterpreted your validating that I had a reason to be a smartass as saying that you had a reason for asking if I'd play the Swedish card.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Played the Spanish reserve to draw two cards, played a 2 cp card to recruit a cu in Barcelona.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Delirium

Quote from: grumbler on May 07, 2009, 05:09:20 PM
Turkey foments revots in Salzburg and Naples (you are welcome, guys)

Forgot to thank the Sultan for this.  :hug:

Habbaku

France preempts Denmark to play Papal Bull, targeting Naples :

QuotePlace a Unit and Flag (even if already flagged by an ally) in one friendly or unoccupied Duchy in or adjacent to Rome. OR Spend 5 CPs on the Diplomatic Track to influence any nation(s) other than Ottoman Turks but never during the first round of 1805.

Meanwhile, the Danes have something of their own...

QuoteFrance: Denmark: Play Strategy card as Event

#69: 6 / Dos de Mayo

Message from France:
Move Spanish Consul two boxes on Diplomatic Track. May break Pact status. A Neutral Proxy will play this event only to break a Spanish Pact. Not playable in 1905.

As event. Spanish Pact broken.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Del needs to switch Spain back to neutrality on ACTS.

France uses up their last resource to draw an extra card, then plays to flag Munich and raise a CU with Napoleon.

Off to Britain.  Note that I still have preemption.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

hill and his 4 troops go to ireland and let the irish beat up on them some, and Wellington dithers in France.

This is not looking good.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

I only whacked 1 British CU in that battle, but you took off 2.

Austria's up--please replace the unit lost when you do your turn.  I will not preempt you or Russia.

-J. R. R. Tolkien