The Dutch continue to be ridiculously racist and in denial about it

Started by jimmy olsen, August 14, 2015, 03:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

The illustration is pretty terrible. I don't see much issue with the title if it's a quote from one of the books, in a scene than then it's discussed in the review.

But the illustration is awful.

Valmy

Yeah that would never fly here. It would trigger a national PTSD. We have less than zero interest in that kind of imagery.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2015, 12:29:35 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 14, 2015, 12:26:30 PM
The blurb about the writer mentions she worked for AP in Curacao previously. So even if she is American (unknown to me), her thoughts on Dutch race relations will be based on experience. Also, not sure the Post necessarily shares her views.

Oooh good to know. She might be know a few things about Dutch race relations. That change your view a bit Marty?

I doubt Curacao is really comparable to mainland The Netherlands.

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on August 14, 2015, 12:58:12 PM
I doubt Curacao is really comparable to mainland The Netherlands.

Maybe. But what do I know? I only know they produce good baseball players.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2015, 12:49:52 PM
Yeah that would never fly here. It would trigger a national PTSD. We have less than zero interest in that kind of imagery.

But that cuts both ways, no? There are many examples of imagery and discourse that is considered acceptable in the US but wouldn't be in Europe (for starters, most stuff to do with nationalism/guns etc.)

alfred russel

I used to work in a place that had a department wide conference that brought in 100+ people from overseas. At the end there was a big party where the theme was music and people were encouraged to dress up as a musician.

Word had to go out that it was not cool to show up in blackface, as a significant number of foreign people were planning to do that.

Which makes sense--it is really the American history of blackface that makes it offensive, and even with similar traditions in other countries, the interpretation of the whole genre of pretending to be another race as offensive is not going to be universal.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on August 14, 2015, 01:12:35 PM

I used to work in a place that had a department wide conference that brought in 100+ people from overseas. At the end there was a big party where the theme was music and people were encouraged to dress up as a musician.

Word had to go out that it was not cool to show up in blackface, as a significant number of foreign people were planning to do that.

Which makes sense--it is really the American history of blackface that makes it offensive, and even with similar traditions in other countries, the interpretation of the whole genre of pretending to be another race as offensive is not going to be universal.

Yup, pretty much. Netherlands in fact have their whole Christmas tradition of people using blackface.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on August 14, 2015, 03:46:00 AM
I love this part in particular:

QuoteWhat the NRC episode reveals is that as the Black Lives Matter movement increases in visibility both in the United States and abroad, American discourse about race, privilege and media representations will inevitably bump up against and illuminate the state of race relations, identity and privilege in other countries.

The arrogant expectation that the US is to "illuminate" other countries about "race relations" (while being historically one of the biggest offenders on the planet, and certainly in the Western world) is preposterous.

:lmfao:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Martinus on August 14, 2015, 12:02:25 PM
The thread was a direct copy of this thread, only the word "Dutch" was replaced by "Tim" and "racist" was replaced by "dumb".

I'm well aware of that, and that is irrelevant.  It was still created specifically to attack Tim.

Warspite

Quote from: Martinus on August 14, 2015, 05:09:26 AM
Quote from: Warspite on August 14, 2015, 04:29:59 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 14, 2015, 03:42:10 AM
Americans don't understand that world does not revolve around their cultural context. Film at 11.

I'm willing to make a substantial wager that if you called a European black person a nigger, they'd punch you in the face just as soon as an American black person.

There are many words that, when used against another person in a similar situation, would generate a similar reaction. That is not to say that using the word in abstract in a non-English language publication in a non-English country should be seen as offensive.

The word "nigger" plays a special role in the US public discourse that other derogatory words such as "faggot", "cunt" or "kike" do not. It has become a taboo and no other word comes close. This is the cultural context I was talking about and it is justified by US history. It's similar to Germany banning the use of swastika - yet you do not see German newspapers writing articles about other countries' media using a swastika in their local publications.

Next time you are in London, perhaps you could test your theory that the n-word is uniquely evocative only in America.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Martinus

Quote from: Warspite on August 14, 2015, 02:04:16 PM
Americans don't understand that world does not revolve around their cultural context. Film at 11.

I'm willing to make a substantial wager that if you called a European black person a nigger, they'd punch you in the face just as soon as an American black person.

There are many words that, when used against another person in a similar situation, would generate a similar reaction. That is not to say that using the word in abstract in a non-English language publication in a non-English country should be seen as offensive.

The word "nigger" plays a special role in the US public discourse that other derogatory words such as "faggot", "cunt" or "kike" do not. It has become a taboo and no other word comes close. This is the cultural context I was talking about and it is justified by US history. It's similar to Germany banning the use of swastika - yet you do not see German newspapers writing articles about other countries' media using a swastika in their local publications.

Next time you are in London, perhaps you could test your theory that the n-word is uniquely evocative only in America.

I wasn't aware that London is located in a non-English country.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on August 14, 2015, 02:42:48 PM
Quote from: Warspite on August 14, 2015, 02:04:16 PM

I wasn't aware that London is located in a non-English country.

Were you unaware that London is not located in the US?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Martinus

Razgovory