The Dutch continue to be ridiculously racist and in denial about it

Started by jimmy olsen, August 14, 2015, 03:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Americans don't understand that world does not revolve around their cultural context. Film at 11.

Martinus

I love this part in particular:

QuoteWhat the NRC episode reveals is that as the Black Lives Matter movement increases in visibility both in the United States and abroad, American discourse about race, privilege and media representations will inevitably bump up against and illuminate the state of race relations, identity and privilege in other countries.

The arrogant expectation that the US is to "illuminate" other countries about "race relations" (while being historically one of the biggest offenders on the planet, and certainly in the Western world) is preposterous.

Also, I am coming to a conclusion that anyone these days who uses the word "privilege" in discourse is a cretin. It seems to have become a buzzword of the dumb.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on August 14, 2015, 03:42:10 AM
Americans don't understand that world does not revolve around their cultural context. Film at 11.

A bit odd given that this incident stemmed from non-Americans commenting on books about US race relations.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2015, 04:07:32 AM

A bit odd given that this incident stemmed from non-Americans commenting on books about US race relations.

:huh: The Washington Post (and I guess quite a few of the twitterstormers) is American.

The Brain

Quote from: PostKrielaars's argument doesn't pass the laugh test. How does one consciously intend to use racially offensive imagery and language, but yet say it's "stupid" to think that they were intended to offend?

Reading American books on the history of racist expression must be a strangely unsatisfying experience.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on August 14, 2015, 04:13:02 AM

:huh: The Washington Post (and I guess quite a few of the twitterstormers) is American.

Which came about because of the insensitive way that the Dutch commenters handled their commenting on books about American race relations.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Warspite

I'm willing to make a substantial wager that if you called a European black person a nigger, they'd punch you in the face just as soon as an American black person.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2015, 04:21:22 AM

Which came about because of the insensitive way that the Dutch commenters handled their commenting on books about American race relations.

Yeah the American outrage industry had nothing to do with it. :lol:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Warspite on August 14, 2015, 04:29:59 AM

I'm willing to make a substantial wager that if you called a European black person a nigger, they'd punch you in the face just as soon as an American black person.

Even if the European black person does not know English?

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on August 14, 2015, 04:40:01 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2015, 04:21:22 AM

Yeah the American outrage industry had nothing to do with it. :lol:

I don't see what is outrageous in taking issue with this. :mellow:

Warspite

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 14, 2015, 04:50:10 AM

Even if the European black person does not know English?

That will be one of the few English words they do know.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA