Who would you vote if the 2016 election is Trump vs. Sanders

Started by jimmy olsen, August 03, 2015, 11:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you vote if the 2016 election is Trump vs. Sanders?

American - I'd vote for Trump
11 (13.8%)
American - I'd vote for Sanders
27 (33.8%)
American - I'd vote for a right wing third party candidate
2 (2.5%)
American - I'd vote for a left wing third party candidate
2 (2.5%)
Euro and Friends - I'd vote for Trump
8 (10%)
Euro and Friends - I'd vote for Sanders
25 (31.3%)
Euro and Friends - I'd vote for a right wing third party candidate
1 (1.3%)
Euro and Friends - I'd vote for a left wing third party candidate
4 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Phillip V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 02, 2015, 11:19:00 PM
Will Bush and his giant campaign warchest doom Republican attempts to coalesce around an establishment figure, throwing the election to an outsider like Trump or Carson? Seems plausible.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2015/09/jeb_bush_s_millions_will_keep_his_struggling_campaign_going_did_republican.html
Mitt Romney 2016

The Brain

Swedish newspaper Svenska Dagbladet reports that Trump is aiming to become America's Hitler. Is this true?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

grumbler

Quote from: Kleves on September 05, 2015, 08:54:59 AM
Probably more like America's Mussolini.

Except that Trump won't make the trains run on time.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

He will probably do a lot for the hot air balloon business though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Most of these are more horrifying than the Donald! :bleeding:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/09/donald-trump-running-mate-mark-cuban-213123

QuoteIt's Time to Discuss Donald Trump's Running Mate

Could it be Oprah, Jesse Ventura or Roger Ailes?

By Matt Latimer

09/06/15, 08:29 AM EDT

They still haven't figured out Donald Trump.

GOP leaders thought they'd outfox the frontrunner-they-don't-want by making him sign a mafia-style "loyalty" pledge to the GOP. He signed it, no problem. And why not? The Republican Party isn't exactly the Sopranos. What are they going to do if he breaks the pledge anyway? Break his thumbs?

In return, the geniuses behind this idea have now forced every other GOP contender to vow support for Trump if he wins the nomination—along with whoever he chooses as his running mate. Which begs a fun and fascinating question: Just who would that running mate be?

Too soon to envision a Trump ticket, you say? Well, why should that stop us? After all, America has had to endure a year or more of earnest speculation among DC pundits about a potential Bush or Clinton White House—vision quests that are literally putting voters to sleep.

So what exactly would GOP nominee Trump do? We know, of course, what the ever-predictable professional political class would advise: that Trump pick someone with considerable Washington experience to balance the ticket. Maybe a solid Midwestern senator like Rob Portman. Or someone who can help solve his alleged problems with "the women," like a Kelly Ayotte or maybe a Nikki Haley. He might, they'd suggest, pick a safe, calming choice—like some of the more establishment-approved Republicans he'd just run against. A Jeb Bush or a John Kasich or a Marco Rubio.

We also know what Trump would do with that advice—deep-six it faster than the Republican majority in Congress repealed Obamacare, cut spending, and halted the Iran deal. (Oh wait—they haven't done any of those things, which is why Trump is where he is today. ) Trump wouldn't saddle himself with someone who he thinks is part of the problem in Washington. And one can't imagine him selecting one of the "losers" and "no-talents" he'd just defeated, much less any of those who ran campaign ads against him.

So far the only guidance we've gotten from Trump about who he'd have in mind as a running mate is the (seemingly) preposterous suggestion of Oprah Winfrey—which he later said was a joke. That was followed by his unlikely mention of billionaire investor Carl Icahn for a high-level post in his Cabinet.

Trump is of course notoriously unpredictable—part of his apparent allure—but those names do tell us something. Call it Trump's unwritten rules for whom he'd select for jobs in DC. And they actually aren't that bad:

#1. Someone who does not want the job.
#2. Someone who does not need the job.
#3. Someone he considers a "success" – I,e, very rich.
#4. Someone who is not a career politician (See Rules 1-3).

Which leaves us with a veritable Noah's Ark of celebrities, billionaires, and celebrity-billionaires. Below is a list of the current odds for The Donald's Number Two (set by no one with any knowledge of odds-setting):

Oprah Winfrey (Odds: A Kajillion billion million quadrazillion to 1.) As exciting as it would be to watch Vice President Winfrey teach a Master Class on being your truest self in the Rose Garden or handing out free Honda Civics to everyone on the White House staff ("You get a car! You get a car! You get a car!"), this one's not gonna happen, plain and simple. The vice presidency is too small for Her Greatness. Though Trump might have a shot with Gayle King.

Roger Ailes (50,000 to 1.) These alleged "good friends" are seemingly less so by the day. In any event, a Trump-Ailes ticket might actually give Media Matters a moment of such manic frenzy that it would fold in on itself and create a black hole in the center of the earth. So maybe it'd be worth it.

Jesse Ventura (1,000 to 1). The former Minnesota governor and outspoken critic of both political parties might have had the inside track, but he broke a cardinal rule. He made it clear he wanted the job. That almost certainly doomed him.

Ben Carson (100–1). The likeable presidential candidate and accomplished neurosurgeon might be one of the few candidates Trump might actually consider – former Trump advisor Roger Stone seems to think so, provided he doesn't criticize him too harshly as they fight for the lead in Iowa. But can't you hear Trump's announcement? "Being president doesn't take a brain surgeon. On second thought, maybe it does."

Ann Coulter (50-1). Could Sharknado be a premonition? She's been an assertive Trump backer and introduced him recently in Iowa. And imagine the spectacle. The route from Rodeo Drive to the Canadian border would be packed with fleeing celebrities in their limos – in the greatest exodus since the Old Testament.

[Odds that a Trump-Coulter ticket would cause Charles Krauthammer to quit politics altogether – EVEN.]

Ted Cruz (20-1). The outspoken Texas senator is popular with the party base and is famously supportive of Trump. But he might have more fun as Senate Majority Leader—after a Trump nomination makes Mitch McConnell's head explode.

Howard Stern (12-1). The popular radio personality is on friendly terms with Trump and has a large and loyal following. Also he's flirted with political office before. Baba Booey for Attorney General?

Kevin O'Leary (3-1). One of the stars of the greatest pro-capitalism show on earth today, Shark Tank, ABC's "Mr. Wonderful" has offered some admiring comments of Trump, loves money, and makes no apologies for same. But two rich white guys with hair issues on the same ticket? It's crazy enough to be exactly what a guy like Trump would want.

Tom Brady (Even). Handsome, likeable, young, a Trump friend—a guy who will do what it takes to win. Or at least has a "general awareness" of what it takes.

And the frontrunner ....

Mark Cuban (1-2). Another Shark Tank billionaire – with a very large B – who's praised Trump publicly, has nothing to lose, and has become increasingly unspoken about his politics.

Together these guys could do a lot of damage which, depending on your view of Washington, may not be such a bad thing.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Tim, did you see that Tom Brady has been spotted with a Donald Trump hat?

Are you now going to start supporting Donald Trump? Or are you going to admit that Tom Brady has less than perfect judgment, as shown by when he decided to have the footballs deflated, use videotape obtained from prohibited spying to prepare for games, and generally act like a prima donna?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

sbr

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on September 06, 2015, 11:53:48 AM
... are you going to admit that Tom Brady has less than perfect judgment, as shown by when he decided to have the footballs deflated, use videotape obtained from prohibited spying to prepare for games, and generally act like a prima donna?

So you"re saying that Brady is just like Ken Dorsey, except successful?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on September 06, 2015, 01:11:08 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 06, 2015, 11:53:48 AM
... are you going to admit that Tom Brady has less than perfect judgment, as shown by when he decided to have the footballs deflated, use videotape obtained from prohibited spying to prepare for games, and generally act like a prima donna?

So you"re saying that Brady is just like Ken Dorsey, except successful?

Well deflategate and this picture are associated with Tom Brady and not Ken Dorsey:

Plus Dorsey was the starting quarterback of a national championship college team an a Rose Bowl co-MVP.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on September 06, 2015, 05:02:36 PM
Plus Dorsey was the starting quarterback of a national championship college team an a Rose Bowl co-MVP.

He probably even got a decent amount of money for it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Wow.  That certainly trumps being the starting quarterback of four national championship NFL teams and three Super Bowl MVPs.  :(

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on September 06, 2015, 05:19:18 PM

Wow.  That certainly trumps being the starting quarterback of four national championship NFL teams and three Super Bowl MVPs.  :(

I don't think it does.  :hmm:

It is really unfortunate for Brady that he is such an NFL talent, but all those Super Bowl wins are tainted by Spygate and Deflategate. :(

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on September 06, 2015, 05:33:06 PM
but all those Super Bowl wins are tainted by Spygate and Deflategate. :(

Maybe to the righteous knights of justice and propriety like the Miami Hurricanes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."