News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Any Languish vegetarians?

Started by Martinus, July 30, 2015, 02:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I have been considering seriously going (lacto-ovo) vegetarian lately, so looking for some pointers/advice for a beginner. For the record, if I feel like shit after trying it, or otherwise realise it is bad for my health, I will switch back - but I have been having problems lately with justifying eating meat from ethical perspective (unless it really turns out I need it to live a healthy life).

Eddie Teach

I believe Ide only eats shrimp.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

I lived semi-vegatarian when I was a student because it was way cheaper. No idea what lacto ovo is, but I've never heard that vegetarianism should be detrimental to your health if you eat varied (like you always should). Buy a recipe book.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Martinus

Quote from: Liep on July 30, 2015, 02:35:59 AM
I lived semi-vegatarian when I was a student because it was way cheaper. No idea what lacto ovo is, but I've never heard that vegetarianism should be detrimental to your health if you eat varied (like you always should). Buy a recipe book.

Lacto-ovo means you eat dairy and eggs. I am also considering eating sea food. I guess I don't want to eat animals, if I would be unwilling to kill them with my own hands. I would have no problem killing a fish, but I would have a problem killing a cow.

Legbiter

Quote from: Martinus on July 30, 2015, 02:37:08 AMI would have no problem killing a fish, but I would have a problem killing a cow.

Fast for 3 days, that cow when you see it will make your mouth water at the thought of steak. Squeamishness goes away with hunger.

Lacto-ovo is perfectly doable and if you allow for seafood you're good to go, just start cooking up a storm and putting together recipes you like.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Duque de Bragança

If there's sea food and/or fish it's not vegetarian. No big deal then.

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 30, 2015, 04:50:50 AM

It is, indeed, pescetarianism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarianism

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Martinus on July 30, 2015, 02:37:08 AM
I guess I don't want to eat animals, if I would be unwilling to kill them with my own hands.

I'm not sure flies and mosquito's are that tasty.

Archy

Will you stop eating fried food outside the house.  Because often you don't know which fat was used to fry. Also forget candy with gelatin or desserts with gelatin since it's made from pork. For soups you should also start worrying which stock or broth was used as basis. Some things to think about if you do it because of the ethics

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on July 30, 2015, 05:00:15 AM

Good friend of mine follows that. I've never understood drawing a line between seafood/fish and land animals, though.

garbon

As if you couldn't be more insufferable, "lacto-ovo". ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on July 30, 2015, 05:40:23 AM
Good friend of mine follows that. I've never understood drawing a line between seafood/fish and land animals, though.

Charisma.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on July 30, 2015, 05:40:23 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 30, 2015, 05:00:15 AM

Well, as I said, I could kill a fish, but would feel bad killing a chicken or a cow. So while the ethics of this may be dodgy in abstracto, at least they seem non-hypocritical.

Martinus

Quote from: Archy on July 30, 2015, 05:37:55 AM
Will you stop eating fried food outside the house.  Because often you don't know which fat was used to fry. Also forget candy with gelatin or desserts with gelatin since it's made from pork. For soups you should also start worrying which stock or broth was used as basis. Some things to think about if you do it because of the ethics

Nah. I am not going to be fanatical/dogmatic about it - and it's not like I will make fuss if only meat products are available at a restaurant or while visiting someone, for example. I will just refrain from eating meat of animals (other than fish and seafood) to the extent I can help it.

In other words, I will take the same kind of ethical attitude towards this as I take towards most other moral principles.

Martinus