Started by Martinus, July 30, 2015, 02:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

You won't eat a pig?

A pig would eat you.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Quote from: Archy on July 30, 2015, 05:37:55 AM
Will you stop eating fried food outside the house.  Because often you don't know which fat was used to fry. Also forget candy with gelatin or desserts with gelatin since it's made from pork. For soups you should also start worrying which stock or broth was used as basis. Some things to think about if you do it because of the ethics

I once had a veggie GF and she would always ask me to sample food she wasn't sure about, so I could tell her if there was meat in it. It made me terribly nervous, it's not like I'm any kind of taste expert. I'm pretty sure I inadvertently fed her some meat broth at least once.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on July 30, 2015, 07:42:46 AM
Quote from: Archy on July 30, 2015, 05:37:55 AM
Will you stop eating fried food outside the house.  Because often you don't know which fat was used to fry. Also forget candy with gelatin or desserts with gelatin since it's made from pork. For soups you should also start worrying which stock or broth was used as basis. Some things to think about if you do it because of the ethics

I once had a veggie GF and she would always ask me to sample food she wasn't sure about, so I could tell her if there was meat in it. It made me terribly nervous, it's not like I'm any kind of taste expert. I'm pretty sure I inadvertently fed her some meat broth at least once.

My wife does that - make me taste her food - but for nuts; the stakes are higher though, because she has a serious allergy to 'em.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Brazen

So meat is murder, fish is justifiable homicide?

You should really shun dairy if you're going veggie on ethical grounds. They slaughter calves to keep the mothers lactating, and they in turn are slaughtered when they've passed peak production, at five years or so out of a 30-year lifespan.

And even if you make sure your eggs are free-range, laying hens are slaughtered at the end of their useful lives.

Valmy

All problems that will go away once we can 3-D print all of our food -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on July 30, 2015, 08:07:33 AM
All problems that will go away once we can 3-D print all of our food -_-

Those who can afford the real stuff won't.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Ok then. The scale will be massively reduced.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Brazen

Malthus

A vegetarian? I would've expected you to become a humanitarian;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Legbiter

Quote from: Brazen on July 30, 2015, 07:46:39 AM
So meat is murder, fish is justifiable homicide?

You should really shun dairy if you're going veggie on ethical grounds. They slaughter calves to keep the mothers lactating, and they in turn are slaughtered when they've passed peak production, at five years or so out of a 30-year lifespan.

And even if you make sure your eggs are free-range, laying hens are slaughtered at the end of their useful lives.

If he wants to avoid the factory farmed meat he could just switch out the supermarket pork and chicken with for instance  lamb, goat, venison and beef. Maybe see if there's a local farmer's market where he can get free range eggs, chicken and pork. In and of itself being a veggie isn't more ethical if you help contribute to turning the entire planet into a giant wheat/soybean plantation.   ^_^
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 30, 2015, 07:23:24 AM
You won't eat a pig?

A pig would eat you.

In college and shortly thereafter I went through a phase where I stayed away from pork and sometimes beef.  Man, was that stupid.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

frunk

Nope, don't get vegetarianism based on ethical grounds.  The only reason the animals had a life at all is because they are food.  The world goes vegan the pig/chicken/cow population drops to a fraction of what it is now.  Is that good for the animals?  I can see wanting to stick to free range/ethically raised animals, but not outright vegetarianism.  There are many jobs that I depend on that I would not want to do.  That doesn't mean I won't use the results of their labor due to personal preference to not do something "icky".

OTOH vegetarianism because of concerns over diet/environment/sustainability makes sense to me.

Valmy

garbon

Quote from: frunk on July 30, 2015, 09:32:01 AM
Nope, don't get vegetarianism based on ethical grounds.  The only reason the animals had a life at all is because they are food.  The world goes vegan the pig/chicken/cow population drops to a fraction of what it is now.  Is that good for the animals?  I can see wanting to stick to free range/ethically raised animals, but not outright vegetarianism.  There are many jobs that I depend on that I would not want to do.  That doesn't mean I won't use the results of their labor due to personal preference to not do something "icky".

OTOH vegetarianism because of concerns over diet/environment/sustainability makes sense to me.

I don't see how you can reasonably hope to answer the question of whether it is better to be born or not.

Also, I think there is something to be said that the vast majority of food animals are handled in such a way that one thinks is cruel and thus one doesn't want to help support that.

I guess there could be, though I don't think Marti is thinking that, some sort of ethical concern over eating animals - in some sort of Jain type way.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

I'm shocked that Mart would consider a course of action that takes him further from the gene pool.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.