'The Olympics are dead': Does anyone want to be a host city anymore?

Started by jimmy olsen, July 29, 2015, 01:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: alfred russel on August 02, 2015, 10:48:08 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 02, 2015, 10:36:06 PM
If you can have Winter Olympics in Sochi, you can have them everywhere.  Not that you should, mind you.

I think they had the Alpine events in the Caucasus where there are ski resorts etc. I've seen pictures taken in January of the mountains they will be using for the Beijing olympics and there was no snow on them.

I know it will more or less work out with artificial snow, but why do that?

Because it takes two to tango.  You can't just say, oh Oslo is a nice place, let's hold it there.  Oslo has to decide that it is worthwhile to them as well.  For better or worse, the winter olympics is just not popular enough to make it easily commercially viable.  So here is Beijing who is willing and able to do it, and is better than the competition. 

alfred russel

Quote from: Monoriu on August 02, 2015, 11:03:31 PM
For better or worse, the winter olympics is just not popular enough to make it easily commercially viable.  So here is Beijing who is willing and able to do it, and is better than the competition.

And that is the crux of the problem. What counts as "commercially viable". If you want new and world class venues for every event, plus opening and closing ceremonies costing obnoxious amounts, then china and kazakhstan may be your two choices. But there was a time that such investment wasnt needed.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Monoriu

Quote from: alfred russel on August 02, 2015, 11:27:29 PM
For better or worse, the winter olympics is just not popular enough to make it easily commercially viable.  So here is Beijing who is willing and able to do it, and is better than the competition.

And that is the crux of the problem. What counts as "commercially viable". If you want new and world class venues for every event, plus opening and closing ceremonies costing obnoxious amounts, then china and kazakhstan may be your two choices. But there was a time that such investment wasnt needed.

While I agree that the olympics should be held on a more frugal basis, I still don't get what the problem is.  As long as the games are held, and competitions are smoothly and fairly conducted, what else is there to complain about?  So what if China and Kazakhstan are the only choices in 2022?  Even if Kazakhstan hosts the games, I am quite sure that they will do a decent job.  They are not a failed state.  There is still healthy competition for the right to host these events. 

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on August 02, 2015, 11:36:29 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 02, 2015, 11:27:29 PM

While I agree that the olympics should be held on a more frugal basis, I still don't get what the problem is.  As long as the games are held, and competitions are smoothly and fairly conducted, what else is there to complain about?  So what if China and Kazakhstan are the only choices in 2022?  Even if Kazakhstan hosts the games, I am quite sure that they will do a decent job.  They are not a failed state.  There is still healthy competition for the right to host these events.
I think you're contradicting yourself.  Having China and Kazakhstan as the only two choices is the definition of lack of healthy competition.  And I think it is a problem; Olympics can't sustain their legitimacy indefinitely if they become a tool for autocratic regimes to buy prestige.

Josquius

To an extent though is this not the natural order reasserting itself? The crazy competition for hosting rights is a fairly modern thing right?
It didn't used to be such a huge deal
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: DGuller on August 03, 2015, 01:52:46 AM

I think you're contradicting yourself.  Having China and Kazakhstan as the only two choices is the definition of lack of healthy competition.  And I think it is a problem; Olympics can't sustain their legitimacy indefinitely if they become a tool for autocratic regimes to buy prestige.

It could be a lot worse.  Imagine only one city bidding for it.  Imagine the two bids come from Syria and Somalia.  Winter olympics is known for its inherent lack of popularity, but they still have two valid bids.  Two valid bids for an event that will most likely lose money.  If I invite bids from contractors to do some work, which is most likely unprofitable, I will be delighted if I receive two valid bids. 

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on August 03, 2015, 02:05:32 AM
It could be a lot worse.  Imagine only one city bidding for it.  Imagine the two bids come from Syria and Somalia.  Winter olympics is known for its inherent lack of popularity, but they still have two valid bids.  Two valid bids for an event that will most likely lose money.  If I invite bids from contractors to do some work, which is most likely unprofitable, I will be delighted if I receive two valid bids.
Then the problem is with requirements that makes the games too expensive for the benefit they bring to their host.  If the sporting events are a net economic drain, then only autocratic regimes will be able to spend their people's money to showcase their penis in all its glory.  Democratic regimes are answerable to the people that shell out that money.

Monoriu

Found this on Wiki on the Oslo 2022 bid -

QuoteOpposition to the bid was largely due to the expense of organizing the games, as well as certain demands by the IOC. On the day of the Conservative Party vote against the bid, Verdens Gang revealed that the IOC had demanded a host of privileges, including free cocktail parties with the king and dedicated traffic lanes during the games.[17] Some requirements would have required special legislation, such as tax exemptions for IOC representatives and access to all public ad space in Oslo for use by IOC sponsors.[18] Other requirements, such as a dedicated power supply for each arena, as well as special VIP lounges of a specified size, with high quality food and specially designed Olympic furniture, would have required extensive renovation of every venue. Additionally, the IOC recommended that schools and some work places close, in order to decrease traffic and increase spectator attendance. The bid committee admitted that the cost of these requirements would be hard to assess, making the total cost uncertain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oslo_bid_for_the_2022_Winter_Olympics

There are some interesting demands in there. 

Syt

Similar with Munich which had considered a bid:

QuoteHowever, these plans were cancelled on 10 November 2013 when a majority of residents in the Munich area opposed the bid in referendums held in Munich, Garmisch-Partenkirchen and the Bavarian districts of Berchtesgadener Land and Traunstein (where the competitions would have taken place).[46] In each locality, a majority had voted against bidding: 51.2% in Munich, 51.6% in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, 54.0% in Berchtesgadener Land, and 59.7% in Traunstein.[47] Opponents pointed to the high costs for hosting the Olympics, environmental issues, and criticism of commercialization of sports, particularly the IOC.

I predict Hamburg, which is currently considering applying for the 2024 Summer Games will have a similar outcome when they hold their referendum.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Monoriu on August 03, 2015, 02:17:14 AM

I suspect those demands are pretty standard for IOC and FIFA events these days.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on August 03, 2015, 02:33:23 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on August 03, 2015, 02:17:14 AM

I suspect those demands are pretty standard for IOC and FIFA events these days.

And part of the reason why hosting this events is becoming unpopular.

Zanza

alfred russel

Quote from: Monoriu on August 02, 2015, 11:36:29 PM

I don't have a problem with holding the Olympics in countries that are less than democratic. Worse things have happened than the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. If the Summer Olympics go back there at some point, that is fine with me. But the Olympics should be in places that have the proper conditions for events. From what I've seen, Beijing doesn't have proper conditions for the Winter Olympics--worse even than Sochi.

China has ski resorts, but apparently they want to showcase their capital. Which is unfortunate imo.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

I'm waiting for the inevitable Qatar Winter Games, at latest in 2050 :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

Do any of you guys watch the Olympics anymore?  I couldn't care less about them. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points