'The Olympics are dead': Does anyone want to be a host city anymore?

Started by jimmy olsen, July 29, 2015, 01:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 01, 2015, 05:58:25 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 31, 2015, 12:05:38 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 31, 2015, 11:38:34 AM
Why does Brazil rate a smile and South Korea doesn't?

Feels like a "meh" location for Winter Games.
It's mountainous, snowy and near Seoul. What more could you want?
north korean fireworks?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on August 01, 2015, 06:58:14 AM

north korean fireworks?

Don't worry, NK will launch those at their own athletes who fail to win medals.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 01, 2015, 08:34:34 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on August 01, 2015, 06:58:14 AM

north korean fireworks?

Don't worry, NK will launch those at their own athletes who fail to win medals.

Did North Korea qualify its football team for the next Summer games in Rio? Portugal managed to. It ends badly for North Korea in general if they meet.

Monoriu

Quote from: Syt on August 01, 2015, 03:42:31 AM

Then there's China's political climate, which, if anything, has grown more repressive since 2008. In the past seven years, the Chinese government has banned Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and has restricted speech on the social networks it allows to operate at all. Imagining an Olympics where athletes and spectators are cut off from Facebook is difficult in 2015—and may be even less plausible in 2022. For the second time in 14 years, the IOC has awarded the games to a country with a poor human-rights record.

Pretty sure the visiting athletes will not be affected by China's internet policies.  I've stayed in mainland hotels and service apartments where access to the internet is unrestricted.  If they think the places are frequented mainly by foreign guests, the party will allow access.

Josquius

I don't mind euro 2020 and the many nation thing. Though with the talk of a international league for Europe it seems a little redundant.

Beijing Winter Olympics: :bleeding:
But then who cares about the winter Olympics.
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on August 02, 2015, 02:28:21 AM
Pretty sure the visiting athletes will not be affected by China's internet policies.  I've stayed in mainland hotels and service apartments where access to the internet is unrestricted.  If they think the places are frequented mainly by foreign guests, the party will allow access.

Unrestricted is not, I think, the term for this case.  I think it's going to be like Sochi where the party goes to great lengths to make sure they have a way to quash unwanted attention.
Experience bij!

Monoriu

Well, if Beijing didn't bid for the 2022 Winter games, Almaty would win by default.  From a purely functional point of view, I think there is a good chance that Beijing will do a better job for the athletes. 

celedhring

Quote from: Monoriu on August 02, 2015, 07:32:35 AM
Well, if Beijing didn't bid for the 2022 Winter games, Almaty would win by default.  From a purely functional point of view, I think there is a good chance that Beijing will do a better job for the athletes.

We postponed our bid because Beijing bid. So they could have gone to Barcelona, which is also a ridiculous proposition in itself, mind.

DGuller

Monoriu

Quote from: celedhring on August 02, 2015, 08:28:29 AM

We postponed our bid because Beijing bid. So they could have gone to Barcelona, which is also a ridiculous proposition in itself, mind.

I thought Spain needed to be bailed out not long ago?

alfred russel

There are two things that are needed for a successful Olympics:
-decent infrastructure & support from the host
-solid venues for top level competitions

Yes Beijing should deliver on the first, and to the extent possible on the second. But from what I understand some of the mountains where the ski/snowboard competitions will be held may not have any snow. The plan is to just use artificial snow, but that is a sad way to hold the top competition in the world.

It is unfortunate that Oslo pulled out.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

If you can have Winter Olympics in Sochi, you can have them everywhere.  Not that you should, mind you.

Monoriu

Quote from: alfred russel on August 02, 2015, 10:31:07 PM

There are two things that are needed for a successful Olympics:
-decent infrastructure & support from the host
-solid venues for top level competitions

Yes Beijing should deliver on the first, and to the extent possible on the second. But from what I understand some of the mountains where the ski/snowboard competitions will be held may not have any snow. The plan is to just use artificial snow, but that is a sad way to hold the top competition in the world.

It is unfortunate that Oslo pulled out.

I obviously know next to nothing about winter sports.  But my guess would be that weather is not 100% predictable.  That means, even on mountains where there is supposed to be natural snow, it may not be entirely suitable for the competition on the day when the olympics are held. 

What I am trying to say is, using artificial snow seems like a safer bet. 

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on August 02, 2015, 10:36:06 PM
If you can have Winter Olympics in Sochi, you can have them everywhere.  Not that you should, mind you.

I think they had the Alpine events in the Caucasus where there are ski resorts etc. I've seen pictures taken in January of the mountains they will be using for the Beijing olympics and there was no snow on them.

I know it will more or less work out with artificial snow, but why do that?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on August 02, 2015, 10:48:08 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 02, 2015, 10:36:06 PM

I think they had the Alpine events in the Caucasus where there are ski resorts etc. I've seen pictures taken in January of the mountains they will be using for the Beijing olympics and there was no snow on them.

I know it will more or less work out with artificial snow, but why do that?
Because countries with real alpine climates have democracy to deal with.  And sometimes wars as well.