'The Olympics are dead': Does anyone want to be a host city anymore?

Started by jimmy olsen, July 29, 2015, 01:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I watch all of it.

Hell, I watched the Women's World Cup & The Pan Am games!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on August 03, 2015, 10:53:51 AM
Do any of you guys watch the Olympics anymore?  I couldn't care less about them. :hmm:

Are there any sports you do watch?

I think the Olympics are great. Watch enough of various odd sports to last me for four years.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on August 03, 2015, 02:17:14 AM
Found this on Wiki on the Oslo 2022 bid -

QuoteOpposition to the bid was largely due to the expense of organizing the games, as well as certain demands by the IOC. On the day of the Conservative Party vote against the bid, Verdens Gang revealed that the IOC had demanded a host of privileges, including free cocktail parties with the king and dedicated traffic lanes during the games.[17] Some requirements would have required special legislation, such as tax exemptions for IOC representatives and access to all public ad space in Oslo for use by IOC sponsors.[18] Other requirements, such as a dedicated power supply for each arena, as well as special VIP lounges of a specified size, with high quality food and specially designed Olympic furniture, would have required extensive renovation of every venue. Additionally, the IOC recommended that schools and some work places close, in order to decrease traffic and increase spectator attendance. The bid committee admitted that the cost of these requirements would be hard to assess, making the total cost uncertain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oslo_bid_for_the_2022_Winter_Olympics

There are some interesting demands in there. 
So the Olympics is a former miss universe, now approaching 40 in a very bad way.... But who has yet to realise her looks are gone and only abusive dicks who want to use her to make themselves look good will touch her.
██████
██████
██████

lustindarkness

Quote from: Caliga on August 03, 2015, 10:53:51 AM
Do any of you guys watch the Olympics anymore?  I couldn't care less about them. :hmm:

I watch the real sports.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

This is the product of the IOC being one of those completely unaccountable international organizations that have morphed into being probably the largest self-licking ice cream cone in the world.

And as they're not a country, one cannot even nuke them.

Tonitrus

Some brave, democratic nations should just co-opt them.  After all, what legal recourse/authority do they have?  File a lawsuit with the International Criminal Court?

Monoriu

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 03, 2015, 07:32:43 PM
This is the product of the IOC being one of those completely unaccountable international organizations that have morphed into being probably the largest self-licking ice cream cone in the world.

And as they're not a country, one cannot even nuke them.

:yes:  They need to be reformed. 

alfred russel

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 03, 2015, 07:35:59 PM
Some brave, democratic nations should just co-opt them.  After all, what legal recourse/authority do they have?  File a lawsuit with the International Criminal Court?

But that won't work. The Olympics without Russia or China would suck. The world has lots of shitty places with governments that embrace corruption--just like with the UN, a worldwide organization won't be up to first world standards.

The developed world probably has more leverage over FIFA. Europe plus South America are the core of the sport, and while South America has corruption, I think it would follow Europe's lead. As would North America. Africa and Asia can't really do their own thing with credibility.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tonitrus

Just as they would suck without the U.S./Europe.  Someone has to take a stand.  :mad:

Unfortunately, as the IOC is stationed in Switzerland, so to avoid hypocrisy we might have to invade and dismantle them.

But who am I kidding?  Any real move agains the corrupt IOC gets blocked when they push out those starry-eyed athletes as if they were adorable puppies, and tell us how we are killing their once-in-a-lifetime dreams for Olympic glory.  Then we all cave.

KRonn

It was no surprise to most of us around here that the Boston bid failed. Too crowded an area for starters. Traffic would be a mess for years during construction and people still remember the folly of the Big Dig. Then the corruption, lies and fabrications that came out of the groups pushing for it just finally sunk it. Neither the Governor nor Mayor of Boston could support it any longer, aside from lack of voter support. Both weren't really pushing for it, just waiting for the info to keep coming out on the whole thing and to see how viable the idea was. 

grumbler

Just build the Olympic complex near Mount Olympus and hold it there every four years.That worked out pretty well the first time, and Greece could use the investment and tourist dollars.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

lustindarkness

Quote from: grumbler on August 04, 2015, 03:04:36 PM
Just build the Olympic complex near Mount Olympus and hold it there every four years.That worked out pretty well the first time, and Greece could use the investment and tourist dollars.

That will never happen, it makes too much sense.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom