'The Olympics are dead': Does anyone want to be a host city anymore?

Started by jimmy olsen, July 29, 2015, 01:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on July 29, 2015, 01:51:33 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 29, 2015, 06:16:03 AM
Winter Olympics have only one purpose: the ice hockey tournament. That's more than enough.

So you really just need the NHL and other hockey leagues to form the frozen equivalent of FIFA and make their own quadannual international tournament.

They've already done it:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=750156
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 29, 2015, 12:22:03 PM
It can easily be done, just requires discipline, honest government, and some creativity, so . . . yeah, I guess that rules out the US cities.

For the most part, even if doing it correctly, doesn't seem like it'd be that great for residents of any major US city.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on July 29, 2015, 01:53:12 PM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on July 29, 2015, 01:51:33 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 29, 2015, 06:16:03 AM
Winter Olympics have only one purpose: the ice hockey tournament. That's more than enough.

So you really just need the NHL and other hockey leagues to form the frozen equivalent of FIFA and make their own quadannual international tournament.

They've already done it:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=750156

Meh. NHL rules and rink sizes.

QuoteThe first World Cup competition since 2004 will feature national teams from the United States, Canada, Russia, Sweden, Finland and the Czech Republic, and there will be two all-star teams, one made up of the top 23-and-under North American players and another featuring the top NHL players from the European countries that aren't represented by their national teams, including Switzerland, Germany, Slovenia, Austria, Norway, Denmark and Latvia.

The Olympic tournament with NHL players will still be missed. :(

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on July 29, 2015, 12:36:13 PM
Weren't Salt Lake City Olympics very financially efficient, Mitt Romney jokes aside?

I said US *cities*
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

I like the one where you have the four skiers going at the same time. Looks like an actual race.

Eddie Teach

Norgy

Quote from: Valmy on July 29, 2015, 12:39:51 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 29, 2015, 12:22:03 PM
It can easily be done, just requires discipline, honest government, and some creativity, so . . . yeah, I guess that rules out the US cities.

It sounds like the Winter Olympics should just rotate between Canada, Japan, and the Nordic countries then :P

France, Russia, Germany, Austria, Italy and even the Czechs and Poland compete at high levels there. So does the US. The sprint skiing teams of Canada and the US are well on their way to beat the rest.

Heck, even Spain had a drugged-up former German gold medalist at Salt Lake City.

I think like with most sports events, the issue is twofold; you have corrupt organisations and corrupt and drugged athletes. We should make a choice. Either everyone is allowed to throw money around like it was no tomorrow and drug themselves to perfection only to have their hearts explode at the finishing line, or it should be policed Nazi style with lifetime bans, completely transparent voting and application and at an amateur level like the Olympics used to be.
Professional sports could allow spears, cock rings and AK47s and full frontal nudity for all I care.

Savonarola

Quote from: Norgy on July 29, 2015, 03:40:41 PM
France, Russia, Germany, Austria, Italy and even the Czechs and Poland compete at high levels there. So does the US. The sprint skiing teams of Canada and the US are well on their way to beat the rest.

Heck, even Spain had a drugged-up former German gold medalist at Salt Lake City.

I think like with most sports events, the issue is twofold; you have corrupt organisations and corrupt and drugged athletes. We should make a choice. Either everyone is allowed to throw money around like it was no tomorrow and drug themselves to perfection only to have their hearts explode at the finishing line

It's an idea whose time has come (again):  https://screen.yahoo.com/weekend-drug-olympics-000000571.html
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Larch

Quote from: Norgy on July 29, 2015, 03:40:41 PMHeck, even Spain had a drugged-up former German gold medalist at Salt Lake City.

That was hillarious. The guy came out of the blue and got Spanish citizenship. Suddenly all the media were cheering on him and calling him "Juanito", hyping him to the utmost degree. Then when he tested possitive he went back to being Hans and nobody ever spoke about him anymore.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on July 29, 2015, 01:52:54 PM
Quote from: The Larch on July 29, 2015, 09:41:32 AM
Then they should offer to organize them. I mean, winter olympics have traditionally been held in some rather small places. The madness is making the winter olympics, by definition a rather small affair, a massive undertaking. Right now the winter olympics have 98 events, in Salt Lake in 2002 there were 78, 57 in Albertville in 92 and 39 in Sarajevo in 84. There's some rather severe event inflation going on.

It's all the X Games shit.

You mean the interesting sports & the only ski events that don't need a crazy moutain?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Looks like the Winter Games 2022 will be held in either Beijing or Almaty.

Yay.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.