'The Olympics are dead': Does anyone want to be a host city anymore?

Started by jimmy olsen, July 29, 2015, 01:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: alfred russel on July 29, 2015, 08:55:08 AM
Even so, even though Qatar is one of the most ridiculous locations ever, assuming the world cup is held there, the world will still tune in and it will be a great tournament because of the players and competition.

Yeah... in f***** December  :cry: :bleeding:

The Larch

Quote from: Norgy on July 29, 2015, 06:27:18 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 29, 2015, 06:04:24 AM

Then again, who cares about the winter olympics.

Nordic/Central European countries. And hockey fans.
Granted, that's not a lot of people.  :blush:

Then they should offer to organize them. I mean, winter olympics have traditionally been held in some rather small places. The madness is making the winter olympics, by definition a rather small affair, a massive undertaking. Right now the winter olympics have 98 events, in Salt Lake in 2002 there were 78, 57 in Albertville in 92 and 39 in Sarajevo in 84. There's some rather severe event inflation going on.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2015, 07:20:02 AM
Even if big sporting events are tarnished by corruption in the organizing bodies and their association with unsavoury regimes in these recent bids, some of them still have a clout that is prestigious enough to get western cities and countries to bid for them. Hosting the summer olympics or the world cup is still an amazing way to put your city and/or country in the world's spotlight for up and coming parts of the world and a great tool to revitalize already established places.

But isn't that why it is going to be more dodgy places that really want the games? New York (not The US) need the games to get on the map. :D

:contract:

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on July 29, 2015, 09:44:44 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2015, 07:20:02 AM
Even if big sporting events are tarnished by corruption in the organizing bodies and their association with unsavoury regimes in these recent bids, some of them still have a clout that is prestigious enough to get western cities and countries to bid for them. Hosting the summer olympics or the world cup is still an amazing way to put your city and/or country in the world's spotlight for up and coming parts of the world and a great tool to revitalize already established places.

But isn't that why it is going to be more dodgy places that really want the games? New York (not The US) need the games to get on the map. :D

:contract:

I don't really think that this would 'revitalize' Boston or New York. :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

It can easily be done, just requires discipline, honest government, and some creativity, so . . . yeah, I guess that rules out the US cities.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Weren't Salt Lake City Olympics very financially efficient, Mitt Romney jokes aside?

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 29, 2015, 12:22:03 PM
It can easily be done, just requires discipline, honest government, and some creativity, so . . . yeah, I guess that rules out the US cities.

It sounds like the Winter Olympics should just rotate between Canada, Japan, and the Nordic countries then :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on July 29, 2015, 12:39:51 PM
It sounds like the Winter Olympics should just rotate between Canada, Japan, and the Nordic countries then :P

Remove Canada and maybe you've got a point.

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Don't worry.  Toronto doesn't have the mountains required for a winter Olympics.  They may try for the summer Olympics though.

Josquius

Quote from: Brazen on July 29, 2015, 05:31:17 AM
London would be happy to have it back again. The "legacy" has been great for Stratford area and the city as a whole. I quite often go to events at the Olympic Park and surrounding area, and finished a 10K race in the stadium itself last weekend, in the footsteps of the greats. It was also a great message of solidarity - the 7/7 attacks happened the day after we won the bid.

As far as money goes:
QuoteIn the end, London spent $10.4 billion on the games, but reported (PDF) a profit of $87 million in March of 2013. Which is small—but better than losing cash, nonetheless.

So by now we should be even more in the black, especially with the rate of property development in the area. 

http://gizmodo.com/do-the-olympics-ever-break-even-1529295819
Interesting, reports I've heard said the opposite. With particular the reuse of the main stadium
██████
██████
██████

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 29, 2015, 06:16:03 AM
Winter Olympics have only one purpose: the ice hockey tournament. That's more than enough.

So you really just need the NHL and other hockey leagues to form the frozen equivalent of FIFA and make their own quadannual international tournament.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: The Larch on July 29, 2015, 09:41:32 AM
Then they should offer to organize them. I mean, winter olympics have traditionally been held in some rather small places. The madness is making the winter olympics, by definition a rather small affair, a massive undertaking. Right now the winter olympics have 98 events, in Salt Lake in 2002 there were 78, 57 in Albertville in 92 and 39 in Sarajevo in 84. There's some rather severe event inflation going on.

It's all the X Games shit.