striped shirts and green pitches - Bluebook takes on FM15

Started by Bluebook, July 05, 2015, 09:09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluebook

So, after two successful years as coach of Djurgården in the swedish top league I wanted to move on. I realized there was not much more to do in Sweden. We won the Allsvenska twice (with only minor cheating in the form of re-loads after absurd injuries) but our Champions League adventure came to an abrupt halt when we were put up against Barcelona AND Juventus in the group qualifying round.

The Barcelona games were pure embarassment, where we lost 0-4 and 1-4, despite fielding purely defensive setups and tactics.

Anyway, last time I tried Parma, but gave that up after a season when the club economy was completely wrecked when 170 players came back after loans and only half were attractive enough to get new loan-deals. This time, I want to try England. First I had my eyes set on Norwich, but then QPR fired their coach.

As you can see, Queens Park Rangers have had an abysmal season so far, and they currently find themselves at the bottom of the Premier League. This is what the current situation is when I arrive, this early january morning to my new office.

And here is what we have to work with:

Bluebook

Rules this time:

No reloading, no matter what.

No cheating by copying tactics from someone else.

No editing or cheating or whatever.

Bluebook

These are the remaining games of the season.

17 games means there are still 51 points on the table. However, looking at the opposition 7 of those games are against opposition that means it is not realistic to hope for any points. Leaving 10 games and 30 points. But out of those games, only half are realistically winnable.

So, we can reasonably hope to scrape together 15-20 points. And we are 5 points away from safe ground. This will be a challenge.   

Bluebook

To make matters worse, my predecessor was kind enough to wreck the clubs finances before he left. While I can change the wage budget some, and perhaps find some money for a new player or two, there wont be any huge player purchases this season to bail us out.

Bluebook

Now, to complicate things, the board wants two things from me. They want me to play a possession-based offensive game, and they want me to save QPR from relegation.

This will cause some concern when it comes to choosing tactics. After looking at the squad, it seems clear that my team should be built around three players.
Charlie Austin, a 26 yrold striker
Adeel Tarabt, a 26 yrold attacking midfielder
Stephen Caulker, a 24 yrold center defender

These three are my best players, they are contracted to QPR, and they are young enough to evolve over the coming seasons. Having decided that my team will center around this spine, what comes next is to find tactical ways to get these three into play in their best roles.

And here they are, my first setup:

Three things jump out, and these three things might also explain why we are last in the league.

1. Our goalkeepers are really bad
2. Our wingbacks are really bad
3. Our midfield is weak

I cannot remedy all of this at once. But first order of business is to find a new goalkeeper, and try to recruit one of my old players from Djurgården.

Bluebook

Our first game ended with an impressive 0-0 against Hull.

Not really impressive at all to be honest. Hull showed up with a defensive 5-3-2 and we showed up with a defensive 4-1-3-1-1. We did have one in the net, but it was disallowed for offside. Weirdly enough everyone was very happy with the results afterwards. Clearly I have come to a club with very low expectations.

Situation at the bottom after 22 games:

Aston Villa  22
----------------
Sunderland 19
Fulham        17
QPR            16

Bluebook

Of cource we had no chance against United at Old Trafford. 3-0 and an embarrassing interview after the game.

The road to safe ground did not get longer though, just harder.

Sunderland 22
-----------
Aston Villa  22
Fulham       17
QPR           16

Bluebook

We actually manage to score a goal against Wolverhampton. Meaning we advance in the FA-cup. I would rather have had those 3 points in the league though...

In the 83rd minute, and under abysmal conditions, by sheer force of will, we get one in there.

War...war never changes.

Bluebook

In other news, lady luck decides to piss on us as Watford manages a miraculous result against Chelsea deep deep into overtime.

They are now at 24 points and slipping away from us bottom-dwellers.

We are coming up on a crucial game in a couple of days as we take on Aston Villa. A loss here means we are almost certainly gone.

Bluebook

We manage to get a crucial win against Aston Villa! Despite a muddy pitch and cold rain, my guys managed to play the best football I have seen them play so far. I dont know if it was because of poor opposition, or if my tactical training is starting to take hold. But this game was never in doubt. Amazingly enough our reserve goalkeeper managed to make two absolutely breathtaking saves.

We leave the last place, albeit with one game more played.

Bluebook

I am too pissed off to write a comment right now, more than that Watford scored their first goal thanks to a shot bouncing off two guys and leaving a Watford striker alone infront of an empty net. When I pushed everything forward to get the equalizer, they got one more.

Bluebook

Amazingly we get a draw against the Spurs.

Now we are facing Liverpool twice in one week. One time in the league and one in the FA cup. Im not holding my breath for anything other than humiliation though.

Norgy

I believe you have Taraabt in his best position. How are QPR's finances looking?

Bluebook

Finances are pretty decent, 2,3M avaliable for wages and 4M for transfers. The transfer window is closed though, and when I brought in a player from Ukraine he did not get a work permit...that cost me 2-3M

Bluebook

The double-header against Liverpool is over.

We lost the FA-cup match 1-5. But after they scored their first goal I swapped out my key players to rest them for the next game.

And...

I guess miracles do happen. It was really really lucky though. I think the reds had 2 or 3 in the woodwork, and 5-6 massive shots just inches off target. My goalkeeper is worth his weight in gold, he made several saves that should have been goals really.

I love that goalie, I found him when I was coaching Djurgården and he was my first purchase when I moved to QPR.

Hero of the day

Next game is Sunderland, and if we win, we should be outside the relegation-zone.