News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gay Marriage Upheld by USSC in Close Ruling

Started by Syt, June 26, 2015, 09:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Huckabee can easily be against divorce while not wanting it to be banned, he will just tell people not to divorce.

However, if he behaved similarly with gay marriage, that would mean he intrinsically accepts gay people as allright, which he obviously doesn't. He won't tell gay people not to marry, he'll tell gay people to stop being gay, and then marry.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on September 02, 2015, 03:57:55 AM
Huckabee can easily be against divorce while not wanting it to be banned, he will just tell people not to divorce.

However, if he behaved similarly with gay marriage, that would mean he intrinsically accepts gay people as allright, which he obviously doesn't. He won't tell gay people not to marry, he'll tell gay people to stop being gay, and then marry.

He can still believe that (i.e. that gay people should stop being gay and then marry) and not be opposed to gay marriage as a legal option. It just goes to show how far religious conservatives are willing to go when restricting other people's rights on things like homosexuality or abortion (another topic Jesus never said anything about, by the way), while not taking the same line of thought on various other stuff that Jesus actually condemned (because, presumably, it would alienate their voters and donors).

garbon

Interestingly, the usual mix of jackasses who comment on yahoo news articles seem to be against this woman. One, for not seeming like an actual religious person with all her divorces and children out of wedlock, and two, for not doing her job. Who knew this woman would get yahoo bigots to 'support' the gays.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on September 02, 2015, 06:08:39 AM
Interestingly, the usual mix of jackasses who comment on yahoo news articles seem to be against this woman. One, for not seeming like an actual religious person with all her divorces and children out of wedlock, and two, for not doing her job. Who knew this woman would get yahoo bigots to 'support' the gays.

They probably hate women in official positions more than they hate gays. :D

garbon

Maybe, though I didn't see any comments hating on her specifically for being a woman...and they generally don't mince words. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Kleves

If she was better looking, more people would support her.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Caliga

I just love reading over and over again "FIRE HER!!!!!" as if it could be done. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on September 02, 2015, 03:49:49 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 02, 2015, 03:27:22 AM
There is a bit of a difference between being critical of divorce and demanding it be banned.

This difference seems to be lost on Huckabee when it comes to gay marriage, though.

The divorce train left the station a long time ago.  The gay marriage train left the station about an hour an half ago.  Huckabee knows he ain't gonna catch that divorce train, but he can fool him self that he can catch up and stop the gay marriage one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on September 02, 2015, 08:15:07 AM
I just love reading over and over again "FIRE HER!!!!!" as if it could be done. :sleep:

Is there no mechanism for getting rid of an elected official if they refuse to actually do their jobs?

I know that the US is nuts (in some places) about making every dog-catcher an elected position - but what if, after being elected, they just take the salary and sit at home watching TV?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 02, 2015, 08:34:08 AM
I know that the US is nuts (in some places) about making every dog-catcher an elected position - but what if, after being elected, they just take the salary and sit at home watching TV?  :hmm:

Libertarians would applaud them for helping to undermine the State, nobody else notices. Re-elected by huge majority.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Kentucky is really weird about having so many elected local officials, including elected judges. :bleeding:

To give you an even more bizarre example which is kind of in line with your dogcatcher comment, Malthus, another elected position in Kentucky is county jailer.  Every county in Kentucky must have one.  The funny thing is, not every county in Kentucky has a jail. :lol:  The county I used to live in didn't, so basically it had a position that paid ~$40K a year where you literally had nothing to do.  My former lawn guy ran for county jailer and asked me if he could put signs up in my yard.  I told him he could, and then asked him how he planned to be an effective jailer for the county.  He was like "ummmm errrr I'll do whatever is asked of me". :lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on September 02, 2015, 08:34:08 AM
Quote from: Caliga on September 02, 2015, 08:15:07 AM

Is there no mechanism for getting rid of an elected official if they refuse to actually do their jobs?

I guess they need to be impeached. But then this is a "logical" consequence of an illogical position that administrative jobs are electable - I suppose it's no different than a congressman not showing up to vote.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on September 02, 2015, 08:37:43 AM
Kentucky is really weird about having so many elected local officials, including elected judges. :bleeding:

To give you an even more bizarre example which is kind of in line with your dogcatcher comment, Malthus, another elected position in Kentucky is county jailer.  Every county in Kentucky must have one.  The funny thing is, not every county in Kentucky has a jail. :lol:  The county I used to live in didn't, so basically it had a position that paid ~$40K a year where you literally had nothing to do.  My former lawn guy ran for county jailer and asked me if he could put signs up in my yard.  I told him he could, and then asked him how he planned to be an effective jailer for the county.  He was like "ummmm errrr I'll do whatever is asked of me". :lol:

I get convinced more and more that your system is similar to that of the Commonwealth of Poland and Lithuania at its heyday. What puzzles me is that, generally, as a country you are relatively succesful.

I suppose you have one thing the CoP&L lacked - non-aggressive neighbours.

Eddie Teach

Pffft, they're non-aggressive because we're stronger than they are. Find a weak opponent, say, Denmark, and the knives come out.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on September 02, 2015, 08:37:43 AM

Awesome.  :lol: Did he get the position?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius