News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Damn. That sucks.
Happened to me once at my parents house.  I was sitting in my room using the computer whilst a storm raged outside. Then i heard an almighty crash. I thought the chimney had collapsed....but no.  Seems the roof blew off.

Was very shitty for a few days. Frantically moving our stuff that touched the ceiling, climbing around on the roof In the rain to put down plastic and sweep the water off it as it built up.

If you have any specific questions I can ask my dad who led the protection efforts and then the rebuilding.
We've a flat felted roof, not sure what you have or if the same advice can hold for different types.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

A felted roof?  Like it's covered with beaver pelts?  :huh:

Josquius

Google it.
It's pretty common in the uk.
A sort of tarmac like substance that comes in rolls like thick wallpaper.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on June 29, 2016, 10:58:20 AM
Google it.
It's pretty common in the uk.
A sort of tarmac like substance that comes in rolls like thick wallpaper.

Here I think it is called "Roofing Rolls" if it has a granular coating, or "Tar Paper" if it doesn't. It's considered a less durable, cheaper method compared to shingles.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

I had a contractor redo my roof in early June. It is the single most expensive purchase I have ever made that required no financing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PRC

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 29, 2016, 01:09:56 PM
I had a contractor redo my roof in early June. It is the single most expensive purchase I have ever made that required no financing.

No shit, they ain't cheap.  And roofers, as a group of tradesmen, seem to be filled with a lot of shady disreputable sorts.  Hard to find some trustworthy ones.

Grey Fox

It's #4 all time behind my house & 2 cars.

Jacob

Josquius

Quote from: PRC on June 29, 2016, 02:51:25 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 29, 2016, 01:09:56 PM

No shit, they ain't cheap.  And roofers, as a group of tradesmen, seem to be filled with a lot of shady disreputable sorts.  Hard to find some trustworthy ones.
:yes:
Irish
██████
██████
██████

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: PRC on June 28, 2016, 06:51:27 PM
Had a major rain and hail storm come through.  Water found its way through the roof in one corner of the house and down through a light fixture.  Nothing major, but will need to deal with it as soon as possible.  Obviously not going to use the lights in that part of the house and will need to call someone asap to deal with it as i'm not handy enough. 

Any advice from the homeowners who've been through something like that before would be much appreciated.

As Grey Fox said:  Call your insurance.  We're getting a new roof from the hail storm(s) that also have my truck in the shop now too.  We don't have any leaks from it, fortunately, at least not that I know of. 

My insurance (which is also the bank I use) ended up just sending me checks for their estimate - my deductible.  The roofing company will just contact them for more $$ if they need to.  Yeah, it sucks having your stuff get trashed by ice falling out of the damn sky, but really the process of getting it fixed has been relatively painless so far.

Grey Fox

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney