News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 16, 2016, 04:24:38 PM
Meanwhile, in an act of sheer stupidity that even Arabs and Jews alike can agree upon--

Baby bison dies after Yellowstone tourists put it in their car because it looked cold
By Karin Brulliard May 16 at 2:32 PM

The weather at Yellowstone National Park on May 9 was fairly temperate: The low was 39 degrees Fahrenheit; the high was 50.

Nevertheless, when two tourists saw a baby bison, they decided it looked cold and needed to be rescued. So they loaded it in the trunk of their car and drove it to a ranger station.

Over the weekend, their action was widely mocked online as evidence of extreme anthropomorphism, not to mention stupidity. On Monday, the park revealed that it was also deadly — for the bison. The newborn calf had to be euthanized, the park said in a statement, because its mother had rejected it as a result of the "interference by people."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2016/05/16/baby-bison-dies-after-yellowstone-tourists-put-it-in-their-car-because-it-looked-cold/?tid=pm_pop_b

A father and son transported the bison calf in the trunk of a Toyota Sequoia to a ranger station in the park's northeast corner, according to a witness who spoke to the East Idaho News. Idaho resident Karen Richardson, who was chaperoning a fifth-grade field trip to Yellowstone, told the website that the pair were "demanding to speak with a ranger."

These people are shockingly stupid.  How do....Why would the thought even cross your mind?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 16, 2016, 05:25:52 PM
Wasn't "passed off" as neutral and apolitical, as chargesd by Minsky.

I think when you state that people who come to a conclusion different than your own are in denial or guilty of some other intellectual or moral failing, it strongly suggests that your position (and the arguments used to advance that position) are objectively correct, which is at least in the same time zone as neutral and apolitical.

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on May 16, 2016, 04:12:43 PM
Did shakespere really invent words or is he just the earliest known reference for them :hmm:

Yes.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

Also, I think Shakespeare and Casablanca are tied for idioms introduced into English.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 16, 2016, 05:35:47 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 16, 2016, 05:25:52 PM
Wasn't "passed off" as neutral and apolitical, as chargesd by Minsky.

I think when you state that people who come to a conclusion different than your own are in denial or guilty of some other intellectual or moral failing, it strongly suggests that your position (and the arguments used to advance that position) are objectively correct, which is at least in the same time zone as neutral and apolitical.

So the initial post was political and not neutral -- something I've never denied.  But again, you could hardly call 4th of July posts apolitical and neutral.  What I take issue with Minsky and Guller attributing bad faith and the desire to provoke to my posting widely-known commemoration, without even its own thread.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Razgovory

Lacking neutrality is one thing, the fact the map was inaccurate is unforgivable.  This is a board that was spun of EUOT after all.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 16, 2016, 11:10:36 PM
What I take issue with Minsky and Guller attributing bad faith and the desire to provoke to my posting widely-known commemoration, without even its own thread.
Is that commemoration widely known in the West?  Maybe on liberal college campuses, as part of the "fuck you, Israel" repertoire, but otherwise I don't think it's widely known at all.  Yes, I'm sure a lot of people know that that there were population expulsions both ways (shockingly, the other side of that coin is always selectively omitted by the usual suspects), but that there is supposedly a day dedicated for this? :yeahright:

DGuller

Quote from: DGuller on May 16, 2016, 11:39:17 PM
What I take issue with Minsky and Guller attributing bad faith and the desire to provoke to my posting widely-known commemoration, without even its own thread.
Is that commemoration widely known in the West?  Maybe on liberal college campuses, as part of the "fuck you, Israel" repertoire, but otherwise I don't think it's widely known at all.  Yes, I'm sure a lot of people know that that there were population expulsions both ways (shockingly, the other side of that coin is always selectively omitted by the usual suspects), but that there is supposedly a day dedicated for this? :yeahright:
So I Googled the Nakba Day, because personally this is the first time I heard of this.  So, which day is it commemorating?  Some infamous massacre?  Some day when Israel decided on the program of ethnic cleansing? 

Nope, it's the day after Israel declared independence.  So it's really Israel's existence that people are mourning.  How shocking. :o

Capetan Mihali

Yes, mourning the official transformation of Mandatory Palestine into Israel, or "the Jewish State," as it likes to call itself.  How shocking.  And more poignantly, mourning the thousands of lives that were uprooted to create the Jewish State and the mass of Arab buildings and farms that were expropriated without compensation.

And if you want a massacre, as you so fervently seem to, April 9th is generally recognized to commemorate the Deir Yassin massacre.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Capetan Mihali

Is that commemoration widely known in the West?

No, which is why I saw some value to calling attention to it.  And you can talk about expulsions on both sides, but look at the ultimate conclusion; you'd have to be colorblind to see the Palestinians trampling all over the Jews.

DGuller

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 17, 2016, 03:26:38 AM

No, which is why I saw some value to calling attention to it.
So it's a widely-known commemoration that's not widely known?

DGuller

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 17, 2016, 03:13:47 AM
Yes, mourning the official transformation of Mandatory Palestine into Israel, or "the Jewish State," as it likes to call itself.  How shocking.  And more poignantly, mourning the thousands of lives that were uprooted to create the Jewish State and the mass of Arab buildings and farms that were expropriated without compensation.

And if you want a massacre, as you so fervently seem to, April 9th is generally recognized to commemorate the Deir Yassin massacre.
Can you see how it might be a bad PR move, though, for both Palestinians and you in specific?  You go and make pains to pretend that what you're having trouble with is the US government giving Israel a couple of billions a year, when people in US have to get by without teeth.  But then you go and have your "commemoration" stunt and imply that Israel's very creation is the problem.  It might make a lot of your arguments look very disingenuous.

mongers

When Jews fight with each other, they get Verbal.     :P

Seriously, guys can't you just kiss and make up, agree to disagree or maybe file away this grudge and bring it up again in 2-3 years time (t'Languish way) ? 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 17, 2016, 03:26:38 AM

No, which is why I saw some value to calling attention to it.  And you can talk about expulsions on both sides, but look at the ultimate conclusion; you'd have to be colorblind to see the Palestinians trampling all over the Jews.

Widen your outlook. It isn't just about "Palestinians and Jews", but about the ME as a whole. Almost exactly equal numbers of Jews were driven out of ME countries (and ended up in Israel, where they form more than 50% of the Jewish population) as Arabs driven the other way by war; yet they are never mentioned in the leftish narrative, which (as we have seen in this thread!) remains one of "colonialism", and presumably "European colonialism", even though right now the absolute majority of so-called "colonists" are descendants or persons expelled from other countries in the ME. It's just a factually ignorant position, to ignore one side of a population transfer and only look at the other side - reminiscent of those in (say) Greece, Turkey, India, Pakistan, etc., all of which had violent population transfers, all of which only looks to their "side" as having suffered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_exodus_from_Arab_and_Muslim_countries

The fact that the Deir Yassin Massacre is held up for commemoration is interesting - given how relatively minor the incident actually was; and that it occurred nearly 70 years ago. Around 100 people were killed, many of them civilians, by the Irgun and Lehi militia in fighting in that village. That is indeed terrible, but let's place it in context - in Syria, right now (and not 70 years ago), nearly 200 are being killed every day. That's two "Deir Yassins" worth, each and every day! So it would have been a good thing if Syria won in '48, '67 or '73 against Israel - why? 

https://npsia.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/how-deadly-is-the-conflict-in-syria-really/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 17, 2016, 03:13:47 AM

:huh: Aren't you omitting the minor intervening detail of an Arab declaration of war?