And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on May 16, 2016, 04:00:53 PM
What's the problem there?

Is the problem that Mihali shouldn't use the term "catastrophe" to refer the the loss of Palestinian land?

I have bigger issues with the word underwent.  After all, you can say WWII was catastrophic for the Japanese and German people without absolving them of blame for their fate.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 16, 2016, 04:05:01 PM
After all, you can say WWII was catastrophic for the Japanese and German people without absolving them of blame for their fate.

And if you listen to the Chinese, you'd think the Japanese were still at it.

DGuller

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 16, 2016, 03:49:53 PM
Would DGuller temporarily making his avatar an Israeli flag, and making a simple post celebrating Israel's independence with a photo of the Temple Mount and a photo of those "HOTT" IDF female soldiers produce this kind of reaction?  Would that be posting in bad faith to be inflammatory?
Why would I do that?  And in any case, whatever the reason for doing it, clearly I would be doing it to make some kind of a point.  The point might be received with a thud in this particular audience, but I would be trying to make it nonetheless.

And, in any case, you can't divorce posts from their contexts.  The context is that you have engaged in some pretty vitriolic anti-Israeli posting before, so it seemed rather clear that you were trying to make a point with that out of the blue post.  Probably something like "you won't beat me down, I'll still believe what I believe about Israel, reason be damned".

Jacob

Is the problem that Mihali shouldn't use the term "catastrophe" to refer the the loss of Palestinian land?

I have bigger issues with the word underwent.  After all, you can say WWII was catastrophic for the Japanese and German people without absolving them of blame for their fate.

Gotcha. So the problem is, like Malthus stated, the maps do not reflect who's to blame for the plight of Arab Palestinians.

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on May 16, 2016, 04:10:04 PM

Gotcha. So the problem is, like Malthus stated, the maps do not reflect who's to blame for the plight of Arab Palestinians.

Yup. I.e. neighbouring Arab countries.

Josquius

Did shakespere really invent words or is he just the earliest known reference for them :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

I think green = plight is also deeply suspect.

To take one tiny example, the Negev is very thinly populated by Bedouins and always has been.  Does Israeli political and military control of this area honestly impact the plight of Palestinians in any way whatsoever?

Or the absence of any maps with an increase in green.  Did the Israeli withdrawal from Gaza improve their plight?

CountDeMoney

Meanwhile, in an act of sheer stupidity that even Arabs and Jews alike can agree upon--

Baby bison dies after Yellowstone tourists put it in their car because it looked cold
By Karin Brulliard May 16 at 2:32 PM

The weather at Yellowstone National Park on May 9 was fairly temperate: The low was 39 degrees Fahrenheit; the high was 50.

Nevertheless, when two tourists saw a baby bison, they decided it looked cold and needed to be rescued. So they loaded it in the trunk of their car and drove it to a ranger station.

Over the weekend, their action was widely mocked online as evidence of extreme anthropomorphism, not to mention stupidity. On Monday, the park revealed that it was also deadly — for the bison. The newborn calf had to be euthanized, the park said in a statement, because its mother had rejected it as a result of the "interference by people."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2016/05/16/baby-bison-dies-after-yellowstone-tourists-put-it-in-their-car-because-it-looked-cold/?tid=pm_pop_b

A father and son transported the bison calf in the trunk of a Toyota Sequoia to a ranger station in the park's northeast corner, according to a witness who spoke to the East Idaho News. Idaho resident Karen Richardson, who was chaperoning a fifth-grade field trip to Yellowstone, told the website that the pair were "demanding to speak with a ranger."

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 16, 2016, 04:16:13 PM

To take one tiny example, the Negev is very thinly populated by Bedouins and always has been.  Does Israeli political and military control of this area honestly impact the plight of Palestinians in any way whatsoever?

Or the absence of any maps with an increase in green.  Did the Israeli withdrawal from Gaza improve their plight?

It isn't as though Israel's hands are especially clean with regards to the current plight of Gaza, even if they did withdraw.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Would DGuller temporarily making his avatar an Israeli flag, and making a simple post celebrating Israel's independence with a photo of the Temple Mount and a photo of those "HOTT" IDF female soldiers produce this kind of reaction?  Would that be posting in bad faith to be inflammatory?

A photo celebrating Israeli independence with a photo of the Temple Mount could be quite inflammatory depending on context because the complex is under Palestinian governance and suggesting upsetting that status quo would be a very hot button proposal, usually associated with the most extreme elements of the Israeli Right.

"HOTT" IDF soldiers?  Inflammatory in a different way.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on May 16, 2016, 03:52:57 PM
Hey guys stop being mean to Mihali. He will leave again and I will get the blame.

The Juwes are not the ones to be blamed.  :contract:
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 16, 2016, 04:16:13 PM

Fair enough. Thanks :)

Razgovory

The maps are also simply inaccurate.  For instance one map shows an arrangement that didn't actually exist, the proposed borders the UN devised in 1947.  While the Israelis agreed to it, the Arabs did not.  The result was a war, that the Arabs lost and the UN division not being used.  Another problem is the first map which assumes that any territory not owned by a Jew is owned by a Palestinian which was not true (most of the land wasn't privately owned by anyone), so it would fall under who ever the ruling power was at the time, either the Turks or the British.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 16, 2016, 03:53:30 PM
And I never tried to "pass it off" as anything

"A map showing the extent of the catastrophe the Arab population of Palestine underwent and continues to undergo..."

Wasn't "passed off" as neutral and apolitical, as chargesd by Minsky.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: DGuller on May 16, 2016, 04:07:07 PM
Why would I do that?  And in any case, whatever the reason for doing it, clearly I would be doing it to make some kind of a point.  The point might be received with a thud in this particular audience, but I would be trying to make it nonetheless.

And, in any case, you can't divorce posts from their contexts.  The context is that you have engaged in some pretty vitriolic anti-Israeli posting before, so it seemed rather clear that you were trying to make a point with that out of the blue post.  Probably something like "you won't beat me down, I'll still believe what I believe about Israel, reason be damned".

:lol: More Dguller psychoanalysis please! It's definitely improving my mood.

Ah reason, if only I'd listen to that sweet voice of reason that says " Things have to be this way. We have to give Israel billions of dollars and support them when they bomb Gaza. This is the best of all possible worlds." Thr divine voice of Reason simply dictates that the Palestinians must be treated like shit.  Why oh why won't I hear its call?! :weep:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)