News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 16, 2016, 01:40:38 PM
And Christmas?  Martinus goes straight into anti-Catholic tachycardia.

Sooner or later, Francis will come right out and say Gay is OK with Jesus.
Within minutes, Martinus will come out full-bore Opus Dei.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on May 16, 2016, 02:48:54 PM
Lost your teeth?  Blame the Jews.

Poor, poor analogy, Dr. Mengele, DDS.   :mad:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 16, 2016, 01:52:07 PM
It's depressing to see so many smart people using their intellect to reason

Hmm
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: DGuller on May 16, 2016, 02:49:26 PM]
Here is a hint:  low tolerance of fools.

I'd make some quip about how painful reflective surfaces must be for you, but I don't actually think you are a fool.  I think you're generally open-minded and intelligent, which actually makes it sadder that you have this Israel reflex.  It's not uncommon, though; I know a good amount of people who are very liberal or even left-wing...except when it comes to Israel.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 16, 2016, 02:54:40 PM

Hmm

In Donald Trump's America, such will be severely punished.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 16, 2016, 02:54:40 PM

Hmm

If you don't like being characterized that way, I'm happy to retract it. :)
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 16, 2016, 02:20:46 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 16, 2016, 02:10:05 PMYeah, mournful my ass, complete with the maps and all.  Yes, we on Languish are not easily fooled.

A map showing the extent of the catastrophe the Arab population of Palestine underwent and continues to undergo is inflammatory?  You

What other purpose would motivate posting the BDS movement's oft criticized "four maps" presentations and trying to pass it off as a neutral, politics-free commemoration of Palestinian suffering?
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 16, 2016, 02:55:44 PM
It's not uncommon, though; I know a good amount of people who are very liberal or even left-wing...except when it comes to Israel.
Why would it be odd for a liberal to support a country with a liberal culture?  Especially when the alternative is on display everywhere around it, and is not just a hypothetical?  Or is it a necessity for a liberal to not consider the ultimate consequences of what they're advocating for?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 16, 2016, 03:12:31 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 16, 2016, 02:20:46 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 16, 2016, 02:10:05 PMYeah, mournful my ass, complete with the maps and all.  Yes, we on Languish are not easily fooled.

A map showing the extent of the catastrophe the Arab population of Palestine underwent and continues to undergo is inflammatory?  You

What other purpose would motivate posting the BDS movement's oft criticized "four maps" presentations and trying to pass it off as a neutral, politics-free commemoration of Palestinian suffering?

I never claimed it was neutral or politics-free -- commemorating The Fourth of July or Bastille Day isn't neutral or politics-free either.  And I never tried to "pass it off" as anything -- these repeated accusations of bad faith on my part are totally spurious.  I just don't see how it could possibly be considered inflammatory or trolling... unless, I suppose we were on an explicitly Zionist message board.

However, it just so happens that Nakba Day cuts against the grain of the implicitly pro-Israel Languish consensus while The Fourth of July or Bastille Day doesn't.

Would DGuller temporarily making his avatar an Israeli flag, and making a simple post celebrating Israel's independence with a photo of the Temple Mount and a photo of those "HOTT" IDF female soldiers produce this kind of reaction?  Would that be posting in bad faith to be inflammatory?

Martinus

Hey guys stop being mean to Mihali. He will leave again and I will get the blame.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 16, 2016, 03:49:53 PM
And I never tried to "pass it off" as anything

"A map showing the extent of the catastrophe the Arab population of Palestine underwent and continues to undergo..."

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 16, 2016, 12:31:02 PM
Knock it off, Raz.

Capetan Mihali is the winner of the "2011 Rachel Corrie Golden Bulldozer Award for Protest and Landscape Excellence", you know.
:lol:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on May 16, 2016, 03:52:57 PM
Hey guys stop being mean to Mihali. He will leave again and I will get the blame.

Just because you drove away Paul Atreides, Ank, BMo, and Camper?  :hmm: Maybe so.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 16, 2016, 03:53:30 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 16, 2016, 03:49:53 PM
And I never tried to "pass it off" as anything

"A map showing the extent of the catastrophe the Arab population of Palestine underwent and continues to undergo..."

What's the problem there?

Is the problem that Mihali shouldn't use the term "catastrophe" to refer the the loss of Palestinian land?