News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Yes, that NYT article was shit, as articles that quote reactions from one's FB feed tend to be (and his FB feed seemed to be remarkably moronic). 

The 2% number of self-described Republicans was for professors in English department (that is truly not that difficult to believe), not for Social Sciences and Humanities as a whole. Similarly, self-described Marxist can mean commitment to an analytical method rather than political activism. I very much doubt those self-described Marxists are out there printing tracts and meeting in basements calling each other comrades... 

My experience is that conservatives tend to be found where you would expect them: political science, economics, military history, foreign relations, sometimes in philosophy. Less so in English and other languages, Cultural Studies, Area Studies, etc.

I do tend it is indicative of a rupture, and the abandonment of a tradition of the Humanities from self-described conservatives. The study of the Humanities used to be a bastion of conservatism - about the canon, great literature, the classics, the virtues, etc. I do not think it was terribly well-armed against the criticism coming from marginals and under-represented voices - and though one could certainly argue that, since then, the general climate in higher education subtly discourages conservatives to pursue their studies in certain disciplines (through self-replication more than active opposition), we could similarly wonder why no powerful conservatives voices felt they could, or should, say, invest the study of the African-American novel.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 09, 2016, 09:45:49 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 09, 2016, 09:43:04 PM
Ugh I feel sick

Due to the blatant discrimination against conservatives in academia?

I wasn't paying attention to what you all were prattering on about.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on May 09, 2016, 10:15:03 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 09, 2016, 09:45:49 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 09, 2016, 09:43:04 PM
Ugh I feel sick

Due to the blatant discrimination against conservatives in academia?

I wasn't paying attention to what you all were prattering on about.

I don't think I was involved in it.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 09, 2016, 04:33:54 PM
Read an article in the NYT about liberal bias in academia.  It might be stating the obvious, but I was amused by the statement that whereas 2% of faculty in the social sciences are Republicans, 18% are Marxists.

Link?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 10, 2016, 12:17:39 AM
Link?

If I had a penny for each time you asked me for a link and I answered I read hard copy, and that you can google this article as easily as I can, I'd have around 4 pennies.

Tonitrus

And I'll make him Google it himself.  Using the search term "18% marxists social sciences liberal bias new york times" (just key word from your post), and it comes up as the top link.

Eddie Teach

Yes, Tim needs to be punished! because he doesn't spend enough time looking up news stories.  :huh:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 10, 2016, 12:44:43 AM
Yes, Tim needs to be punished! because he doesn't spend enough time looking up news stories.  :huh:

Feel free to run his errands for him.

Eddie Teach

Like most of the stuff I read on Languish, I don't care enough to find it myself.  :P

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 10, 2016, 12:44:43 AM

It's not so much punishment, as chiding him for not doing a simple google search he is easily capable of doing on his own.

Though I could say the exact same thing for Yi (I've done it for him in past).  :P 

Josquius

pleasant surprise on the train today. The train stops at a station and my heart sinks. There's a rabble of primary school kids on the platform. Goodbye tranquility.
They enter and......??????
This isn't right..... I can hear myself think.....
Then the teacher talks to them. In German. I hear some of the kids talking to each other. In German.
:w00t:

I had no idea german speaking kids were so much better behaved than french (or english....) speaking kids.
But it seems so.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on May 10, 2016, 02:16:14 AM
I had no idea german speaking kids were so much better behaved than french (or english....) speaking kids.
But it seems so.

They're good at following orders.

mongers

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 09, 2016, 10:01:39 PM
Yes, that NYT article was shit, as articles that quote reactions from one's FB feed tend to be (and his FB feed seemed to be remarkably moronic). 

The 2% number of self-described Republicans was for professors in English department (that is truly not that difficult to believe), not for Social Sciences and Humanities as a whole. Similarly, self-described Marxist can mean commitment to an analytical method rather than political activism. I very much doubt those self-described Marxists are out there printing tracts and meeting in basements calling each other comrades... 

My experience is that conservatives tend to be found where you would expect them: political science, economics, military history, foreign relations, sometimes in philosophy. Less so in English and other languages, Cultural Studies, Area Studies, etc.

I do tend it is indicative of a rupture, and the abandonment of a tradition of the Humanities from self-described conservatives. The study of the Humanities used to be a bastion of conservatism - about the canon, great literature, the classics, the virtues, etc. I do not think it was terribly well-armed against the criticism coming from marginals and under-represented voices - and though one could certainly argue that, since then, the general climate in higher education subtly discourages conservatives to pursue their studies in certain disciplines (through self-replication more than active opposition), we could similarly wonder why no powerful conservatives voices felt they could, or should, say, invest the study of the African-American novel.

Interesting, thanks for that.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

There are some musicians where I really wonder "so just who is their demographic?"
Elton John for instance.
Super big star.
But just who are his fans :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on May 10, 2016, 04:24:00 PM
There are some musicians where I really wonder "so just who is their demographic?"
Elton John for instance.
Super big star.
But just who are his fans :hmm:

I would assume people that grew up with his music.  Me, for example.