News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

I was on the FCC's webpage for low power FM (pirate radio :pirate).  Usually the FCC's regulations are written in an dense prose which requires both a lawyer and a radio engineer working in tandem to comprehend.  They have a good understanding of who would be looking at that page, though, on discussing the penalties:

QuoteThere are also criminal penalties (fine and/or imprisonment) for "willfully and knowingly" operating a radio station without a license.  DON'T DO IT!

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

Quote from: Savonarola on May 09, 2016, 07:44:54 AM
Rail is a safety conscious industry; before going on a job site you have to go through safety training and the company we're serving will usually have a daily safety briefing.  Our office management tries to carry this concept to our office as well giving us a weekly safety message.  Today we learned of the dangers of improperly stored office supplies.  Going from Colombia where crane operators electrocuted themselves by touching the catenary or climbers fell off towers to reading:

-Never try to catch falling scissors.

was a little strange.  We even got this warning sign:

You just know there was once one guy.....
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Rail is a safety conscious industry; before going on a job site you have to go through safety training and the company we're serving will usually have a daily safety briefing.  Our office management tries to carry this concept to our office as well giving us a weekly safety message.  Today we learned of the dangers of improperly stored office supplies.  Going from Colombia where crane operators electrocuted themselves by touching the catenary or climbers fell off towers to reading:

To be fair, those are pretty mean scissors, they've already taken off both feet and his hands.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

And his head.  Someone just set it back on his severed neck.

alfred russel

So I'm going to try to one up you. :P

Every month or so we have these roundtable accounting meetings--a bunch of accountants from different companies in Atlanta get together to discuss how we approach new accounting standards.

A different company hosts each month. A couple months ago, a manufacturing company hosted--one with presumably a similar safety mindset. Apparently they had a policy that any time visitors entered one of their facilities, a safety video had to be shown. Only this was an office setting in an office park--there was no relevant video for us to watch.

So to kick off the meeting--on technical accounting over lunch-- they showed us a "Don't Text and Drive" video that involved a teenager in a car with her friends having a having a head on collision with a mother driving an SUV full of small children.  :lol:

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Read an article in the NYT about liberal bias in academia.  It might be stating the obvious, but I was amused by the statement that whereas 2% of faculty in the social sciences are Republicans, 18% are Marxists.

lustindarkness

Quote from: alfred russel on May 09, 2016, 04:16:50 PM

So I'm going to try to one up you. :P

Every month or so we have these roundtable accounting meetings--a bunch of accountants from different companies in Atlanta get together to discuss how we approach new accounting standards.

A different company hosts each month. A couple months ago, a manufacturing company hosted--one with presumably a similar safety mindset. Apparently they had a policy that any time visitors entered one of their facilities, a safety video had to be shown. Only this was an office setting in an office park--there was no relevant video for us to watch.

So to kick off the meeting--on technical accounting over lunch-- they showed us a "Don't Text and Drive" video that involved a teenager in a car with her friends having a having a head on collision with a mother driving an SUV full of small children.  :lol:

Last drill weekend I had to give a training on ammunition and explosives cargo handling safety... followed by grilling/bbq at home safety :D.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 09, 2016, 04:33:54 PM
Read an article in the NYT about liberal bias in academia.  It might be stating the obvious, but I was amused by the statement that whereas 2% of faculty in the social sciences are Republicans, 18% are Marxists.

Not surprising given the hostility of Republicans to the Social Sciences. If you politics tend towards Republicanism, it seems reasonable you'd do something you'd consider less useless than the social sciences, I reckon.

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on May 09, 2016, 07:42:35 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 09, 2016, 04:33:54 PM

Not surprising given the hostility of Republicans to the Social Sciences. If you politics tend towards Republicanism, it seems reasonable you'd do something you'd consider less useless than the social sciences, I reckon.
I think there is a non-negligible number of Republicans who used to be liberals at the age when you typically do stupid shit make the decision to go into social sciences.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on May 09, 2016, 07:42:35 PM

A reasonable assumption, though I think it does raise the question of whether conservatives dislike the particular liberal conclusions generated by academia or there is something about the study of man's condition that is inherently antithetical to conservative values.

However, the main focus of the article was on the bias against Republican faculty candidates in the hiring process.

alfred russel

Wikipedia: "Social science is a major category of academic disciplines, concerned with society and the relationships among individuals within a society. It in turn has many branches, each of which is considered a "social science". The main social sciences include economics, law, political science, human geography, demography and sociology. In a wider sense, social science also includes some fields in the humanities[1] such as anthropology, archaeology, jurisprudence, psychology, history, and linguistics."

I have my doubts about the 2% value for Republicans--lots of those fields seem like they would attract healthy numbers of conservatives.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Camerus

The 2% figure seems unrealistically low to me, and I do wonder how that study was conducted and which institutions that coverage. However, my definite impression is that conservatives are well under represented in academia, and there seem to be enough examples to suggest the social sciences and humanities are not inherently liberal.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on May 09, 2016, 09:43:04 PM
Ugh I feel sick

Due to the blatant discrimination against conservatives in academia?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?