News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

The best $4.99 I ever spent was for this "Sleep" app for Android.  It claims to do a whole lot of things like record the sounds you make during the night, track your sleep cycles if you leave it on the mattress all night, and wake you at the optimal point. 

I don't use that, but the alarm is phenomenal.  You can set it so that it basically makes you do puzzles, math, etc. to turn the alarm off.  I had it at too hard a setting on this game and would wake up enraged, so that's a risk; I do four long arithmetic equations now.  It also has a decreasing snooze function (10 minutes; 5 minutes; 2 minutes; 2 minutes; 1 minute, is mine).
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

You could always turn the phone off.  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

One feature I miss from my old shit featurephone is the fact that the alarm would still go off even if the phone was turned off. No smartphone I have owned can do that.  :hmm:

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 15, 2016, 04:42:52 AM
You could always turn the phone off.  ;)

No!  It's genius, it won't let you!
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Savonarola

Is it just me, or does the logo for ANA airlines look suspect:

:unsure:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on March 15, 2016, 07:30:38 AM
Is it just me, or does the logo for ANA airlines look suspect:

New ad firm slogan:

"Ask for ANA/"
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Norgy

Capetan Mihali

Doing a lot of shoppeing at the petshoppe? (Side question: Why does everything Scandinavian have to be lower case?)

Norgy

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 15, 2016, 08:47:39 AM
Doing a lot of shoppeing at the petshoppe? (Side question: Why does everything Scandinavian have to be lower case?)

I did buy the cat a lot of stuff. I should've just gotten some empty cardboard boxes, as they are much more interesting.

petshoppe isn't a Scandi brand. I stole the pic off Sad And Useless.

But since you ask, I think it's a designer thing. Lowercase just looks cooler. But IKEA and SAAB were both in all caps and are inherently cool, apparently.
I'm sure this wave of Scandi-loving will end soon, and someone will discover neo-Byzantine coolness in Croatia or something instead. (I AM LOOKING AT YOU, SPELLUS)

Capetan Mihali

Norgy, I know firsthand that feeling when you buy the cat a $20.00 toy (or pleasure-implement, like a nub-covered corner piece I once bought, or a little carpet castle), and the cat regards it, smells it, and ignores it for the rest of the cat's life or the toy's life, maybe screwing around with it once every couple of years just to freak you out and think it might be a success.  It sucks. :console:

Norgy

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 15, 2016, 09:16:16 AM
Norgy, I know firsthand that feeling when you buy the cat a $20.00 toy (or pleasure-implement, like a nub-covered corner piece I once bought, or a little carpet castle), and the cat regards it, smells it, and ignores it for the rest of the cat's life or the toy's life, maybe screwing around with it once every couple of years just to freak you out and think it might be a success.  It sucks. :console:

He liked the small mice. Not the realistic looking ones.

His favourite toy ever is a soon-to-be-chewed-into-pieces Kong Wubba Wubba. They make a bit of noise when played with, and even though he's as deaf as Siege when someone mentions climate change, the rumble in the toy stimulates the bugger.

Savonarola

Happy Ides of March one and all:

Sic semper tyrannis  :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Seems I side with the majority of America in this. I'm a Medium-Rare person regarding steaks. No blood, no fun.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

8% of Americans are monsters.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien