News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on March 15, 2016, 04:38:15 PM

Seems I side with the majority of America in this. I'm a Medium-Rare person regarding steaks. No blood, no fun.

It is the proper way. Only Medium could be acceptable as an alternative.

alfred russel

I think it depends on the cut of meat. For a tougher cut of meat like a sirloin, I would go with medium or even medium well (I'd never order medium well, because everything tends to get overcooked, but I wouldn't mind if it came that way). For most other more tender cuts (ribeye, ny strip, filet), I'd go with medium rare.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on March 15, 2016, 05:29:06 PM
I think it depends on the cut of meat. For a tougher cut of meat like a sirloin, I would go with medium or even medium well (I'd never order medium well, because everything tends to get overcooked, but I wouldn't mind if it came that way). For most other more tender cuts (ribeye, ny strip, filet), I'd go with medium rare.

I tend to order medium-rare because most places tend to overcook - the medium-rare comes out as medium, which is how I would prefer it.  All things being equal I prefer a true medium.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Some places will only cook to medium for safety reasons.  Thanks, lawyers.

Capetan Mihali

I've learned to like rare-ish steak, but I are pretty well-done meat (of all varieties) growing up, and my folks ordered "medium-well" on the rare occasion we went out to a restaurant where they ordered steak. 

It might be a cultural/generational thing: my grandfather loved steak, but wanted it burnt to a crisp and doused in tablespoons of salt.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 15, 2016, 10:41:33 PM
It might be a cultural/generational thing: my grandfather loved steak, but wanted it burnt to a crisp and doused in tablespoons of salt.

My mother, whose combination of registered nurse and anxiety closet vault generated nothing but irrational fear when it came to food safety, used to cook steaks like that.  I mean, certain cuts like a strip can handle being crispy-crunchy, especially on the grill.  Now, would I abuse a Delmonico that way?  Hell no.  But well-well-well-done isn't bad.

Same with chicken.  My sister and I grew up learning to cook chicken until it's a hockey puck, zomg teh salmonella.  Should've seen the look on my brother-in-law's face the first time she cooked a chicken breast for him, shrunk it to the size of a silver dollar.  The horror.

Even now, whenever I cook chicken, whatever the recipe calls for on baking time I add 30 minutes.  Moist chicken makes me feel anxious.  #WayToGoMom

Capetan Mihali

:lol:  God, we had the same "undercooked" paranoia at meals.  My dad's mother was a nurse, maybe that's where it came from, because he was the most adamant, but we all got in on it. 

Dozens of dinners where my one of us would cut into the chicken breast or pork chop (or even fish), stare at its coloration for several ominous seconds before uttering those words... "Do you think this is done enough?" :unsure:

Then we'd all analyze our meat, worried that we'd missed some tell-tale sign of undercookedness and already contracted something horrible, argue about it back and forth, pass each other our plates for a second opinion...  Quite often, even when it was "probably" fine, the solution was just take them all off the plates and throw them back into the oven for another few minutes.

But hey, at least it took my dad's dinner-table attention away from reading the newspaper for a little while.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

MadImmortalMan

The FDA had us paranoid about pork for decades, but not many people realize that since 2004 the standards for cooking a pork chop are the same as a steak.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

How unexpected. I woke up to a mid march snow storm.
This winter there were only 2 days of snow (plus maybe 5 days with little snow showers)
██████
██████
██████

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

While my luxuriously thick mane of hair in all its voluminous body and bounce is still the focal point of all jealousy and rage against me, I have been coming in consistently salt and pepper gray as I get older;  however, in recent weeks, I've noticed that I am developing a Sweeney Todd/Bride of Frankenstein racing stripe on the top. 

Very disconcerting.

lustindarkness

I grilled some sirloin steaks yesterday, perfectly medium rare with perfect grill marks. No one had the shits or blowing chunks this morning, so I guess I did not poison my family with undercooked steaks.  :yeah:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 16, 2016, 08:22:28 AM
While my luxuriously thick mane of hair in all its voluminous body and bounce is still the focal point of all jealousy and rage against me, I have been coming in consistently salt and pepper gray as I get older;  however, in recent weeks, I've noticed that I am developing a Sweeney Todd/Bride of Frankenstein racing stripe on the top. 

Very disconcerting.

Can you guarantee the closest shave I'll ever know?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Zanza

For the first time since 1961, France wasn't Germany's biggest trade partner in 2015. The biggest trade partner now is the United States. That's why German politicians are very interested in having some progress on TTIP under Obama.

Norgy

Quote from: Zanza on March 16, 2016, 12:31:09 PM
For the first time since 1961, France wasn't Germany's biggest trade partner in 2015. The biggest trade partner now is the United States. That's why German politicians are very interested in having some progress on TTIP under Obama.

If that deal's passed, we're going to have huge problems here.

Behring Breivik is in court again, having sued the Norwegian state.
One particular thing made me laugh out loud when he was reading his verbose tripe. "Anyone in Oslo West would agree that TV dinners are worse than waterboarding".