News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

What are the non-drying machines doing for 4 hours?!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

My laundry gets done in a little less than an hour. 4 hours seems to be a massive amount of time for laundry if it doesn't include drying.

Monoriu

Mine is 2 hours washing, 2 hours drying.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on March 07, 2016, 07:55:44 PM
Reading on their methodology, it is actually "Highest trending shows on google for each state", but it's still a fun map.

Star Trek TOS in Alaska, either they are all old nerds, or there's just one computer in the whole state owned by an old nerd.  :hmm:
I wonder about their methodology.
At a glance I see no repeats.  Some kind of most per capita allocation for the popular shows so some states are left with rejects they don't actually like much?
██████
██████
██████

sbr

wtf my washing machine runs for just over 30 minutes and my dryer for 60.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Liep on March 08, 2016, 07:56:56 AM
Clothes, no drying. 1½ - 2 hours is pretty standard for non industrial washing machines here.

By washing machine, do you mean the time spent walking to the stream and then scrubbing your clothes by hand?  If not, you might want to think about doing it that way.  It would probably take less time.

Habbaku

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 08, 2016, 11:39:43 AM
Clothes, no drying. 1½ - 2 hours is pretty standard for non industrial washing machines here.

By washing machine, do you mean the time spent walking to the stream and then scrubbing your clothes by hand?  If not, you might want to think about doing it that way.  It would probably take less time.

Yeah.  This sounds a lot like Meri's claim she spent 40 hours a week doing laundry.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on March 08, 2016, 11:44:51 AM

Yeah.  This sounds a lot like Meri's claim she spent 40 hours a week doing laundry.
:lol: When did that happen?

The Larch

Well, a lot of kids means a lot of laundry, but 40 hours per week sounds like overkill.  :P

Zanza

My washing machine takes between 30 minutes and two hours depending on the program. If you wash at higher temperatures it takes longer and special programs for wool or so take longer.

garbon

Quote from: sbr on March 08, 2016, 11:18:38 AM
wtf my washing machine runs for just over 30 minutes and my dryer for 60.

Washer dryers are the worst. I've seen why they aren't a common American thing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

1½ - 2 hours is pretty standard for non industrial washing machines here.

What the fuck for?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Maybe the clothes of Danes just need a more thorough wash in general.  :hmm:

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on March 08, 2016, 11:50:10 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 08, 2016, 11:44:51 AM

:lol: When did that happen?

A while back, and in a thread that I am not allowed to link to.  She claimed 20+ hours a week, "not including washing and drying time."  If it sounds bogus...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2016, 04:54:36 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 07, 2016, 04:52:04 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 07, 2016, 12:52:32 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 07, 2016, 12:44:26 PM
Hmm, yeah, tourist visa for Americans back in 2010-11 was one (1) US $20 bill upon arrival.  Not change for a $50, not two $10 bills, not two $10s and two $5s, just one Andreas Cakçon $20 bill.

:lol:

I had to pay a "Reciprocity Fee" of $250 to get into Argentina last time I went there.  Looks like they recently lowered it to $160 and it covers five years' worth of travel, but it's still bullshit.  It's basically a retaliation against the US requiring a visa from Argies.

How is that kind of reciprocity bullshit? It seems pretty fair to me.

Because Argentina has no security concerns about US visitors, and indeed if anything should want to promote more US visitors.  But instead they put in a tit-for-tat visa requirement because the US imposed one on Argentine citizens.

"bullshit" is kind of strong, but I remember being rather irked at the Brazillian visa requirement which was imposed for a similar reason.

So what if there are "security concerns"? You make us pay $100 to visit, we make you pay $100 to visit. Seems perfectly fair. You can address "security concerns" without making the people applying for visas pay for them.