Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on March 07, 2016, 04:52:04 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 07, 2016, 12:52:32 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 07, 2016, 12:44:26 PM
Hmm, yeah, tourist visa for Americans back in 2010-11 was one (1) US $20 bill upon arrival.  Not change for a $50, not two $10 bills, not two $10s and two $5s, just one Andreas Cakçon $20 bill.

:lol:

I had to pay a "Reciprocity Fee" of $250 to get into Argentina last time I went there.  Looks like they recently lowered it to $160 and it covers five years' worth of travel, but it's still bullshit.  It's basically a retaliation against the US requiring a visa from Argies.

How is that kind of reciprocity bullshit? It seems pretty fair to me.

Because Argentina has no security concerns about US visitors, and indeed if anything should want to promote more US visitors.  But instead they put in a tit-for-tat visa requirement because the US imposed one on Argentine citizens.

"bullshit" is kind of strong, but I remember being rather irked at the Brazillian visa requirement which was imposed for a similar reason.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

Quote from: DGuller on March 07, 2016, 04:43:16 PM
Holy crap, I had no idea Sharapova has been suffering from heart condition for the last 10 years. :o It makes her sporting success even more impressive.

Unless the medicine she took made her an overall better athlete. I don't know if that's the case, but I'm always doubtful about the "it's just a harmless bi-product in my medication"-typical athlete response to positive doping tests
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DGuller

Quote from: Liep on March 07, 2016, 05:19:21 PM
Holy crap, I had no idea Sharapova has been suffering from heart condition for the last 10 years. :o It makes her sporting success even more impressive.

Unless the medicine she took made her an overall better athlete. I don't know if that's the case, but I'm always doubtful about the "it's just a harmless bi-product in my medication"-typical athlete response to positive doping tests
I was a tad sarcastic in my expression of admiration.  :blush:

Liep

Quote from: DGuller on March 07, 2016, 05:29:32 PM
Quote from: Liep on March 07, 2016, 05:19:21 PM

I was a tad sarcastic in my expression of admiration.  :blush:

I see it now. :blush:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Reading on their methodology, it is actually "Highest trending shows on google for each state", but it's still a fun map.

Star Trek TOS in Alaska, either they are all old nerds, or there's just one computer in the whole state owned by an old nerd.  :hmm:

Razgovory

Missouri has large population of renaissance princes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Agents of SHIELD, Bernie Mac, Cheers?  :huh:

Well, judging from Languish, Alaska is 2/2 in old nerd category.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

A lot are obvious regional choices ("Boardwalk," "Always Sunny, "True Blood,") and a lot I don't recognize (what the fuck is a TV drama called "Terriers" and why are my statesmen streaming it? :huh:), but I did smile at Vermont still breathlessly watching "The West Wing."
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

LaCroix

north dakotans just like homespun murder stories  :)

Eddie Teach

The Bernie Mac Show was supposed to be a comedy, wasn't it?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Some chick in my county is running for "Central Committee".

I don't like that. I am getting my Brownshirts cleaned just in case.  :ph34r:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 07, 2016, 08:45:29 PM

"Supposed to": yes.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

11B4V

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 07, 2016, 09:30:52 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 07, 2016, 08:45:29 PM

"Supposed to": yes.

It's because it's a black show, huh?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 07, 2016, 08:05:57 PM
Agents of SHIELD, Bernie Mac, Cheers?  :huh:

Well, judging from Languish, Alaska is 2/2 in old nerd category.  :P

The number of TOS Star Trek episodes that I've actually managed to watch all the way through is probably less than I can count on one hand.  :sleep:

And the only ones I could name off the top of my head of those is Balance of Terror, and the one with the Nazi planet.  :P

Ed Anger

I liked his stand up. The show...was forgettable.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive