News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

There probably was a sign that you missed somewhere. The ones on the side roads aren't always easy to spot.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Maladict on December 24, 2015, 11:13:36 AM

Driving back at night in heavy rain was pretty intense. The lane dividers were almost completely invisible and the little reflectors seemed to be mostly worn down or missing altogether.  And large trucks barrelling down left and right and then taking random unmarked exits is distracting to day the least. But I have to admit I didn't see any accidents at all.

Random unmarked exits--was this on an interstate? You may be missing signs--those tend to be well marked.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Speaking of signs, my grandfather used to be in charge of the road department in Florida. One day we were driving by an airport, and there was a sign: "Caution: low flying planes". I said, "what a stupid sign. What in the hell are you supposed to do with that warning?"

It turned out that putting those signs up near airports was his idea.  :blush:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

I'm the navigator, the American driving was totally confused as well.

God was punishing you for letting a girl drive.

DGuller

Driving back at night in heavy rain was pretty intense. The lane dividers were almost completely invisible and the little reflectors seemed to be mostly worn down or missing altogether.  And large trucks barrelling down left and right and then taking random unmarked exits is distracting to day the least. But I have to admit I didn't see any accidents at all.
Rain at night on highways is about the worst possible combination.  You can still physically drive fast, but you can't see where you're going.  Which may make you slow down, but it won't do you much good if others don't.  I really like the lane dividers used in the western states, which are reflective dots rather than painted broken lines.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2015, 11:33:24 AM

No shit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maladict

Quote from: alfred russel on December 24, 2015, 11:21:15 AM

Random unmarked exits--was this on an interstate? You may be missing signs--those tend to be well marked.

No, those were on the 476 I think.

Maladict

Quote from: derspiess on December 24, 2015, 12:35:28 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2015, 11:33:24 AM

No shit.

She did well. With my night blindness I would have been fucked.

Admiral Yi

476 is part of the Interstate.

When the main Interstate is 76, and you see highways like 276, 376, or 476, those are all interstate spurs or beltways that connect to 76.

BTW, only West Coast dorks say "the 76."  All the cool kids say "I 76."

Maladict

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2015, 03:21:49 PM
476 is part of the Interstate.

When the main Interstate is 76, and you see highways like 276, 376, or 476, those are all interstate spurs or beltways that connect to 76.

BTW, only West Coast dorks say "the 76."  All the cool kids say "I 76."

Ok, well, the 476 is a piece of shit.

Admiral Yi

MadImmortalMan

Guys. The Pennsylvania Turnpike has always been a union-mafia embezzlement project, not a roadway. I'm not surprised at all.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Quote from: Maladict on December 24, 2015, 10:15:08 AM
US observation #4: Boalsburg mansion & Columbus chapel in Boalsburg, PA is a must visit for any Languishite.
Given the fact that my family used to own a campground about 15 miles from there, I'm embarassed I've never heard of this place. :Embarrass:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 24, 2015, 04:58:39 PM
Guys. The Pennsylvania Turnpike has always been a union-mafia embezzlement project
Well, it's a public woks project in the Northeast, so really that goes without saying.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

So this is what Christmas on the Mary Celeste would have felt like.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"