The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Brazen

Syt

Quote from: Brazen on December 24, 2015, 05:47:27 AM
Great maps  :rolleyes:

Rare colour photos of Germany in 1900:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Y_7aj3e3M

I think this isn't the YouTube link you're looking for, B. ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

And this is the Friedrichsbrücke today:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Maladict

US observation #3: highways have abominable signage and are downright dangerous in bad weather.

US observation #4: Boalsburg mansion & Columbus chapel in Boalsburg, PA is a must visit for any Languishite.

DGuller

What's wrong with our signage?  :mad:

Maladict

Quote from: DGuller on December 24, 2015, 10:46:06 AM

For instance, we had to get onto I-76 from some minor road which involved a series of convoluted ramps and twists and turns. There wasn't a single sign saying I-76 until we were actually on it.

DGuller

Quote from: Maladict on December 24, 2015, 10:49:58 AM

For instance, we had to get onto I-76 from some minor road which involved a series of convoluted ramps and twists and turns. There wasn't a single sign saying I-76 until we were actually on it.
In this country, we have GPS devices.  :mad:

lustindarkness

And we use miles instead or that metric shit.  :mad:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

alfred russel

Quote from: Maladict on December 24, 2015, 10:49:58 AM

Two things:

#1: the signs were apparently good enough to get onto I-76, weren't they?
#2: The road designers gave you a series of convoluted ramps and twists and turns to navigate--why distract you with extra signage? Focus on driving safely, and they will let you know where you are once you get through the tricky parts.

:P

Seriously: most of the road network is developed and maintained by states, and they develop their own rules of the road. So things vary from place to place. But I think in general the US roads are very good and well signed, though probably at a lower standard overall than western europe. Maybe I'm biased, but I think US roads are good enough and the road quality in a lot of western europe may represent over investment.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Wasn't the major accomplishment of the Interstate Highways the fact that there were federal standards for things like signage?  Or do they only apply once you're actually on interstate highways, and not to connections from local roadways?

Maladict

Quote from: alfred russel on December 24, 2015, 11:02:48 AM

Two things:

#1: the signs were apparently good enough to get onto I-76, weren't they?

They were not. My paper map got us there.
I'm the navigator, the American driving was totally confused as well.

Seriously: most of the road network is developed and maintained by states, and they develop their own rules of the road. So things vary from place to place. But I think in general the US roads are very good and well signed, though probably at a lower standard overall than western europe. Maybe I'm biased, but I think US roads are good enough and the road quality in a lot of western europe may represent over investment.

Driving back at night in heavy rain was pretty intense. The lane dividers were almost completely invisible and the little reflectors seemed to be mostly worn down or missing altogether.  And large trucks barrelling down left and right and then taking random unmarked exits is distracting to day the least. But I have to admit I didn't see any accidents at all.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on December 24, 2015, 11:09:07 AM
Wasn't the major accomplishment of the Interstate Highways the fact that there were federal standards for things like signage?  Or do they only apply once you're actually on interstate highways, and not to connections from local roadways?

I have no idea.

Even though the interstates are federal, there is still state control over things like speed limits and advertising signage. I have no idea if that extends to actually useful signage, and signage on access roads.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014